Quebec double-murder inspired by TV show Dexter?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Quebec double-murder inspired by TV show Dexter?
Marc Pigeon, QMI Agency
First posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 03:53 PM EST | Updated: Saturday, February 15, 2014 07:34 PM EST
MONTREAL -- It was a cold and calculated double murder.

Armed with a blade and wearing gloves and plastic covering, 22 -year-old Guillaume Gelinas allegedly killed his father and step-mother in a gruesome style that is reminiscent of the American television show Dexter, a QMI Agency source said.

A former soldier in the Canadian Army, Gelinas has been arrested on two counts of premeditated murder.

Gelinas had been living with his father Luc, 54, and his stepmother Julie Lemieux, 35, at their home in Terrebonne on Montreal's north shore for some time. It is believed that Gelinas had been having difficulties adjusting to civilian life since returning from a tour of duty in Afghanistan.

Sources tell QMI Agency that the murders were meticulously planned, possibly days in advance. Gelinas even tried to use social media to concoct an alibi, posting a birthday message on his father's Facebook wall several hours after allegedly committing the crimes.

"Happy birthday Dad J," Gelinas wrote in French. "I tried to call you, but you're not answering: P, no doubt in a meeting, I figure! Have a great day!!"

Gelinas was picked up for questioning by police in Gatineau, just north of Ottawa, on Thursday night. Although initially deemed a witness and not a suspect, he was charged with two counts of first degree murder after being interrogated.

Gelinas is expected to appear at the criminal courthouse in Joliette on Monday to be formally charged.
Julie Lemieux, Guillaume Gelinas and Luc Gelinas are seen in this Facebook photo. (Supplied)

Quebec double-murder inspired by TV show Dexter? | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Anything can be considered "inspired" by a television show. To be honest, almost anything criminal that can be done has already been done. Blaming any entertainment media on crimes perpetrated by the suspects is wrong. I remember reading about a case that happened in the 70s or 80s where a couple of kids went on a spree dressed as ninjas and they blamed it on Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. And then Columbine was blamed on video games such as Doom. I don't blame the video games or the AD&D. I blame the people that committed the acts of violence.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Former soldier charged with killing his father and stepmother
By Aedan Helmer ,Ottawa Sun
First posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 07:25 PM EST | Updated: Monday, February 17, 2014 07:31 PM EST
JOLIETTE, Que. - Guillaume Gelinas didn't say a word during a court appearance here Monday as the former soldier stands accused of murdering his father and stepmother.
After the grisly discovery of the bodies of Luc Gelinas and Julie Lemieux in Terrebonne, Que., Gelinas was picked up in Gatineau, Que., Thursday night while being sought by police as a person of interest in the deaths.
Wearing a grey jogging suit, the former Canadian Forces reservist appeared calm as he was formally charged with two counts of first-degree murder.
Gelinas' case was put over to March 6 and he was remanded into custody in St-Jerome, Que.
The bodies of Lemieux, 35, and Luc Gélinas , 54 -- both employees of Quebec's Liquor Board -- were discovered Thursday morning in their home in Terrebonne.
Gelinas, who had served in Afghanistan, lived with his father at the time of the murders.
He was located several hours later, and was charged by Surete du Quebec officers after several hours of interrogation.
Luc Gelinas (right) and Julie Lemieux were brutally murdered at their home in Terrebonne, Que. Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014. Luc's son Guillaume (centre) is facing charges of two counts of first-degree murder. He was nabbed by Gatineau cops Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014. He will appear in court near Montreal on Monday, Feb. 17, 2014. (Facebook photo)

Former soldier charged with killing his father and stepmother | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It wouldnt be the first. There was a murderer in Alberta a few years ago who admitted it. I imagine these people would have killed anyway. Whether Dexter the show exists or not they clearly wanted to kill. Copying a show or another killer is pretty common for serial killers.