Man fatally shot in Saskatchewan was looking for help with flat tire: cousin


spaminator
#1
Man fatally shot in Saskatchewan was looking for help with flat tire: cousin
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 06:32 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, August 12, 2016 11:19 PM EDT
BIGGAR, Sask. -- Racial tensions are flaring in Saskatchewan after the fatal shooting of a First Nations man who relatives say was just looking for help with a flat tire.
Colten Boushie, 22, was killed Tuesday after the vehicle he was in drove onto a farm in the rural municipality of Glenside, west of Saskatoon.
Boushie's cousin, Eric Meechance, said he and three other friends were also in the car, heading home to the Red Pheasant First Nation after an afternoon spent swimming at a river.
But Meechance said they had a tire blow out and that's how they ended up at the farm.
"That guy just come out of nowhere and he just smashed our window," said Meechance.
Meechance said they tried to drive away, but ended up colliding with a parked car. He then ran for safety as gunshots rang out.
"Running is probably what saved all of our lives, you know, because if he's going to shoot one, he's probably would have shot us all," he said.
"He wasn't shooting to scare us. He was shooting to kill."
Gerald Stanley, 54, is charged with second-degree murder. He is to make his next court appearance in North Battleford on Aug. 18.
Meechance said Boushie was a hard worker, mowing lawns and cutting wood to earn money.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise $10,000 to help Boushie's family cover funeral expenses.
Another GoFundMe page has been set up to help Stanley's wife. The hope is to raise $35,000.
That page has been set up by someone who said they live in the area. It says "much of the farming community around us who know this family know they (are) loving and deserving of some help through a difficult time."
First Nations leaders say the RCMP news release about the shooting was biased.
The first police news release said that people in the car had been taken into custody as part of a theft investigation.
Chief Bobby Cameron of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations said the RCMP statement "provided just enough prejudicial information" for people to draw the conclusion that the shooting was somehow justified.
"The messaging in an RCMP news release should not fuel racial tensions," he said.
Chief Clint Wuttunee of the Red Pheasant First Nation said the media's initial portrayal of the event, based on the RCMP release, made the incident sound like a crime was about to be committed by the passengers in the car.
The FSIN wants a review of the RCMP's communication policies and writing guidelines.
Supt. Rob Cameron in Regina told reporters late Friday that being called biased is "deeply concerning."
He wouldn't comment on specifics of the case but said that RCMP handled the investigation fairly and competently.
"We have heard the concerns of the FSIN and we welcome the opportunity to discuss them and work together to address them," Cameron said.
National Chief Perry Bellegarde, with the Assembly of First Nations, said he was particularly disturbed by "racist, derogatory comments" about the incident on social media. It's a stark reminder of "how much work we have to do to eliminate racism and discrimination," he said.
"In too many ways, this is a sad day for Saskatchewan," he said in a statement.
Robert Innes, a University of Saskatchewan indigenous studies professor in Regina, said the situation shows the community divide.
"You can see that the racial tension is basically a tinder box in Saskatchewan," said Innes.
Speaking generally, Innes said some farmers are blaming First Nations people for rural crime. Their mentality is to protect their property, he said.
"So there's this real fear and contempt towards indigenous men by many white people, to the point where they will shoot before asking questions."
Innes said indigenous people are angry that Boushie was killed.
He notes that some Caucasians are angry that the young people were even on the farm and believe Stanley is being railroaded by political correctness.
"A lot of people who are talking on social media are happy that the person was shot and killed and believe it was justified. That, to me, is kind of disturbing in a lot of ways."
By Jennifer Graham in Regina, with files from CKRM
Colten Boushie

Man fatally shot in Saskatchewan was looking for help with flat tire: cousin | W
 
Curious Cdn
#2
Kid should have been packing.
 
tay
+1
#3
That's why I have CAA.


But seriously, this is just another reason to deport all of the Europeans and their descendants back to where they came from....
 
Walter
#4
A likely story. I heard he was studying for the priesthood.
 
Curious Cdn
+3
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

A likely story. I heard he was studying for the priesthood.

Now, that would be a legitimate reason to shoot him.
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Aug 13th, 2016 at 08:55 AM..
 
petros
+2
#6
Trying to steal a wheel isn't getting help.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Trying to steal a wheel isn't getting help.

You live in Saskatchewan. I have a question. Is preventing theft a legal justification for deadly force there?
 
Cliffy
+3
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

You live in Saskatchewan. I have a question. Is preventing theft a legal justification for deadly force there?

In Petroglyph's mind, the guy was injun so he must have been trying to steal. In his world, being injun is a good reason to shoot him. Wally seems to be of the same mind set.
 
Ron in Regina
+4
#9  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

You live in Saskatchewan. I have a question. Is preventing theft a legal justification for deadly force there?

I also live in Saskatchewan, & in the OP is one version
of what happened. I skimmed the OP & didn't see any
counterpoint regarding 'the other side of the story' by
anyone else that was present on that farm. What I can
say is that, as told in the OP, the story doesn't make any
sense at all.

What I do know is that I've heard on the radio several
times this morning is that anyone posting anything that
is not favorable to the story of the four or five swimmers
with the broken wheel on social media....they will be found
and charged and tribunals and all those type of threats.

What I can say, regardless of any reality surrounding this
issue, biased or not, real or not...be careful what you say
as somebody will be reading this with the intention of
gagging with Human Rights Tribunals and other such
political, financial, & legal tools....free speech if it doesn't
agree with one version of this story.

Govern yourselves accordingly.

Related Story from: FSIN blasts RCMP over release about shooting | News Talk 980 CJME (external - login to view)
Read the PC sugar coating in that last few paragraphs of
that story, and understand the counterbalance to the sugar
coating is being broadcast on the radio repeatedly by
someone I'm assuming is backed by the FSIN.

Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

That's why I have CAA.....

That's why automobiles come from the factory with a spare
tire of some type, & a jack, & a tire iron. If you have a flat tire,
you stop and change it, and then proceed.

Last time I had a flat tire was last fall in a company vehicle on
a back road. I stopped, popped the trunk, dug out the tools &
the spare, cracked the lug nuts loose, jacked up the vehicle,
changed the tire, lowered the vehicle, made sure the lug nuts
where tight, stowed away the tools & flat, & was on my way
again in about ten minutes. That makes sense. Driving around
on a flat tire doesn't.

Driving onto a farm, and having them randomly smash your
windows and then start shooting at you doesn't make sense.
Lots of things as we're told them don't make sense. Pieces
are missing from this story.
 
skookumchuck
+2
#10
I have family that would steal you blind in a heartbeat. They have always been that way, will not work and constantly whine about the evil white people who oppress them. There has been some truth there but damn little for those who generally live on reserve and do fug all with their lives except steal, drink, fight, and make more babies.
If city people could live on a reserve for a while they would have their eyes opened. It has nothing to do with skin color, just normal human stupidity normalized by liberal idiots.
 
petros
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

You live in Saskatchewan. I have a question. Is preventing theft a legal justification for deadly force there?

Do you eat Sushi?

Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

In Petroglyph's mind, the guy was injun so he must have been trying to steal. In his world, being injun is a good reason to shoot him. Wally seems to be of the same mind set.

You definitely eat Sushi.
 
DaSleeper
#12
With chop stick too!
 
petros
#13
Sushi sh_ts her pants.

Anyhoo. How do you drive off a grid into farm yard on a blow out?
 
darkbeaver
#14
Was there a spare found with the vehicleÉ
 
DaSleeper
#15
Scared farmer alone in the boondocks and rowdy kids .....
Bad mixture...
 
Tecumsehsbones
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Do you eat Sushi?

Occasionally. It's generally not my favorite.

Now, could you answer my question?

Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

I also live in Saskatchewan, & in the OP is one version
of what happened. I skimmed the OP & didn't see any
counterpoint regarding 'the other side of the story' by
anyone else that was present on that farm. What I can
say is that, as told in the OP, the story doesn't make any
sense at all.

What I do know is that I've heard on the radio several
times this morning is that anyone posting anything that
is not favorable to the story of the four or five swimmers
with the broken wheel on social media....they will be found
and charged and tribunals and all those type of threats.

What I can say, regardless of any reality surrounding this
issue, biased or not, real or not...be careful what you say
as somebody will be reading this with the intention of
gagging with Human Rights Tribunals and other such
political, financial, & legal tools....free speech if it doesn't
agree with one version of this story.

Govern yourselves accordingly.

Related Story from: FSIN blasts RCMP over release about shooting | News Talk 980 CJME (external - login to view)
Read the PC sugar coating in that last few paragraphs of
that story, and understand the counterbalance to the sugar
coating is being broadcast on the radio repeatedly by
someone I'm assuming is backed by the FSIN.

That's an awful lot of typing for "I don't know."
 
personal touch
-1
#17
Land rights should be in this discussion
I live around radicals who think they can shoot anyone who comes on their property
It's a rural thing

If Tecum eats sushi it's good sushi because he/she is a lawyer
 
Tecumsehsbones
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by personal touchView Post

If Tecum eats sushi it's good sushi because he/she is a lawyer

More because I lived in Japan for two years, so I know good sushi from American sushi.
 
personal touch
#19
This is interesting
Do you make sushi at home
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Occasionally. It's generally not my favorite.

Now, could you answer my question?


That's an awful lot of typing for "I don't know."

I didn't read it as "I don't know". More like "I'm not saying".
 
personal touch
#21
How about?should be in there
 
Tecumsehsbones
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I didn't read it as "I don't know". More like "I'm not saying".

I can't imagine why he would quote a simple question, then not answer it if he knew, so I'm assuming he doesn't. That's Ron, of course. In petros's case, I assume it's because he fantasizes that he's making some kind of point.

Do you know, by any chance?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

I can't imagine why he would quote a simple question, then not answer it if he knew, so I'm assuming he doesn't. That's Ron, of course. In petros's case, I assume it's because he fantasizes that he's making some kind of point.

Do you know, by any chance?

I wasn't there. What I do know solely from reading the OP is:
  • farmer ted shoots 22 year old who was on his property
  • friends of deceased claim he was on quest for help changing tire
  • RCMP made initial claim that people were on property in order to commit theft
  • RCMP claims there was no errors in their press releases
  • farmer ted is charged with second degree murder
. The charge seems appropriate regardless of the circumstances of the 4 youths being on his property. The justice system will take it from here.
 
DaSleeper
#24
Even firing a warning shot can get you years in court...at least in Ontario....go figure....
Man acquitted of firing warning shots at group who firebombed home | CTV News (external - login to view)

At least some lawyers made money out of the man's ordeal.....
 
personal touch
#25
RCMP know very well about the perimeters of land rights,or personal space,big dogs are important for this equation

One or two of my information auditing paths of examination of defending ones personal land rights,funny places I ended up at.
I was more interested how knowledge was applied to design of information structure and behavioural response to this structure
Could the master designers be directing the agendas and outcome to the end results?
Yes is the answer
 
Tecumsehsbones
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I wasn't there. What I do know solely from reading the OP is:

  • farmer ted shoots 22 year old who was on his property
  • friends of deceased claim he was on quest for help changing tire
  • RCMP made initial claim that people were on property in order to commit theft
  • RCMP claims there was no errors in their press releases
  • farmer ted is charged with second degree murder
. The charge seems appropriate regardless of the circumstances of the 4 youths being on his property. The justice system will take it from here.

OK, so I'll presume you didn't read the question.

I'll throw it open to the board. Does anyone know if it is legal in Saskatchewan to use deadly force in defense of property? Or, to put it more technically, is defense of property an affirmative defense to homicide in Saskatchewan?
 
gerryh
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

OK, so I'll presume you didn't read the question.

I'll throw it open to the board. Does anyone know if it is legal in Saskatchewan to use deadly force in defense of property? Or, to put it more technically, is defense of property an affirmative defense to homicide in Saskatchewan?



No, not anywhere in Canada
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

OK, so I'll presume you didn't read the question.

I'll throw it open to the board. Does anyone know if it is legal in Saskatchewan to use deadly force in defense of property? Or, to put it more technically, is defense of property an affirmative defense to homicide in Saskatchewan?

I didn't see the question. But now that I have, I will be happy to answer (to the best of my ability). I am not a lawyer. If I was, I would probably know how to research that exactly but I do not believe defense of property is a legal grounds for deadly force anywhere in Canada. I think that is an American thing. However, I think that would not be a bad law to add. Given this guy was completely alone on the prairies, I can see why he would get frightened and come out shooting -- legal or not.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

No, not anywhere in Canada

Thank you. It is in at least one U.S. state (Texas), though only at night. You may believe that has generated reams of opinion on what exactly constitutes "night."

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I didn't see the question. But now that I have, I will be happy to answer (to the best of my ability). I am not a lawyer. If I was, I would probably know how to research that exactly but I do not believe defense of property is a legal grounds for deadly force anywhere in Canada. I think that is an American thing. However, I think that would not be a bad law to add. Given this guy was completely alone on the prairies, I can see why he would get frightened and come out shooting -- legal or not.

Read the above. Defense of property is not generally a defense for homicide (or lethal force) in the U.S.

My opinion: nor should it be. The situation you describe of fear of being alone on the open prairie would, if reasonable, be covered under self defense.
 
Johnnny
+2
#30
Perhaps more evidence will come out to further illustrate what happened....
 
no new posts