Man fatally shot in Saskatchewan was looking for help with flat tire: cousin

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Man fatally shot in Saskatchewan was looking for help with flat tire: cousin
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Friday, August 12, 2016 06:32 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, August 12, 2016 11:19 PM EDT
BIGGAR, Sask. -- Racial tensions are flaring in Saskatchewan after the fatal shooting of a First Nations man who relatives say was just looking for help with a flat tire.
Colten Boushie, 22, was killed Tuesday after the vehicle he was in drove onto a farm in the rural municipality of Glenside, west of Saskatoon.
Boushie's cousin, Eric Meechance, said he and three other friends were also in the car, heading home to the Red Pheasant First Nation after an afternoon spent swimming at a river.
But Meechance said they had a tire blow out and that's how they ended up at the farm.
"That guy just come out of nowhere and he just smashed our window," said Meechance.
Meechance said they tried to drive away, but ended up colliding with a parked car. He then ran for safety as gunshots rang out.
"Running is probably what saved all of our lives, you know, because if he's going to shoot one, he's probably would have shot us all," he said.
"He wasn't shooting to scare us. He was shooting to kill."
Gerald Stanley, 54, is charged with second-degree murder. He is to make his next court appearance in North Battleford on Aug. 18.
Meechance said Boushie was a hard worker, mowing lawns and cutting wood to earn money.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise $10,000 to help Boushie's family cover funeral expenses.
Another GoFundMe page has been set up to help Stanley's wife. The hope is to raise $35,000.
That page has been set up by someone who said they live in the area. It says "much of the farming community around us who know this family know they (are) loving and deserving of some help through a difficult time."
First Nations leaders say the RCMP news release about the shooting was biased.
The first police news release said that people in the car had been taken into custody as part of a theft investigation.
Chief Bobby Cameron of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations said the RCMP statement "provided just enough prejudicial information" for people to draw the conclusion that the shooting was somehow justified.
"The messaging in an RCMP news release should not fuel racial tensions," he said.
Chief Clint Wuttunee of the Red Pheasant First Nation said the media's initial portrayal of the event, based on the RCMP release, made the incident sound like a crime was about to be committed by the passengers in the car.
The FSIN wants a review of the RCMP's communication policies and writing guidelines.
Supt. Rob Cameron in Regina told reporters late Friday that being called biased is "deeply concerning."
He wouldn't comment on specifics of the case but said that RCMP handled the investigation fairly and competently.
"We have heard the concerns of the FSIN and we welcome the opportunity to discuss them and work together to address them," Cameron said.
National Chief Perry Bellegarde, with the Assembly of First Nations, said he was particularly disturbed by "racist, derogatory comments" about the incident on social media. It's a stark reminder of "how much work we have to do to eliminate racism and discrimination," he said.
"In too many ways, this is a sad day for Saskatchewan," he said in a statement.
Robert Innes, a University of Saskatchewan indigenous studies professor in Regina, said the situation shows the community divide.
"You can see that the racial tension is basically a tinder box in Saskatchewan," said Innes.
Speaking generally, Innes said some farmers are blaming First Nations people for rural crime. Their mentality is to protect their property, he said.
"So there's this real fear and contempt towards indigenous men by many white people, to the point where they will shoot before asking questions."
Innes said indigenous people are angry that Boushie was killed.
He notes that some Caucasians are angry that the young people were even on the farm and believe Stanley is being railroaded by political correctness.
"A lot of people who are talking on social media are happy that the person was shot and killed and believe it was justified. That, to me, is kind of disturbing in a lot of ways."
By Jennifer Graham in Regina, with files from CKRM
Colten Boushie

Man fatally shot in Saskatchewan was looking for help with flat tire: cousin | W

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
That's why I have CAA.

But seriously, this is just another reason to deport all of the Europeans and their descendants back to where they came from....

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
A likely story. I heard he was studying for the priesthood.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You live in Saskatchewan. I have a question. Is preventing theft a legal justification for deadly force there?
In Petroglyph's mind, the guy was injun so he must have been trying to steal. In his world, being injun is a good reason to shoot him. Wally seems to be of the same mind set.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You live in Saskatchewan. I have a question. Is preventing theft a legal justification for deadly force there?

I also live in Saskatchewan, & in the OP is one version
of what happened. I skimmed the OP & didn't see any
counterpoint regarding 'the other side of the story' by
anyone else that was present on that farm. What I can
say is that, as told in the OP, the story doesn't make any
sense at all.

What I do know is that I've heard on the radio several
times this morning is that anyone posting anything that
is not favorable to the story of the four or five swimmers
with the broken wheel on social media....they will be found
and charged and tribunals and all those type of threats.

What I can say, regardless of any reality surrounding this
issue, biased or not, real or not...be careful what you say
as somebody will be reading this with the intention of
gagging with Human Rights Tribunals and other such
political, financial, & legal tools....free speech if it doesn't
agree with one version of this story.

Govern yourselves accordingly.

Related Story from: FSIN blasts RCMP over release about shooting | News Talk 980 CJME
Read the PC sugar coating in that last few paragraphs of
that story, and understand the counterbalance to the sugar
coating is being broadcast on the radio repeatedly by
someone I'm assuming is backed by the FSIN.

That's why I have CAA.....

That's why automobiles come from the factory with a spare
tire of some type, & a jack, & a tire iron. If you have a flat tire,
you stop and change it, and then proceed.

Last time I had a flat tire was last fall in a company vehicle on
a back road. I stopped, popped the trunk, dug out the tools &
the spare, cracked the lug nuts loose, jacked up the vehicle,
changed the tire, lowered the vehicle, made sure the lug nuts
where tight, stowed away the tools & flat, & was on my way
again in about ten minutes. That makes sense. Driving around
on a flat tire doesn't.

Driving onto a farm, and having them randomly smash your
windows and then start shooting at you doesn't make sense.
Lots of things as we're told them don't make sense. Pieces
are missing from this story.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I have family that would steal you blind in a heartbeat. They have always been that way, will not work and constantly whine about the evil white people who oppress them. There has been some truth there but damn little for those who generally live on reserve and do fug all with their lives except steal, drink, fight, and make more babies.
If city people could live on a reserve for a while they would have their eyes opened. It has nothing to do with skin color, just normal human stupidity normalized by liberal idiots.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Do you eat Sushi?

In Petroglyph's mind, the guy was injun so he must have been trying to steal. In his world, being injun is a good reason to shoot him. Wally seems to be of the same mind set.

You definitely eat Sushi.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Do you eat Sushi?
Occasionally. It's generally not my favorite.

Now, could you answer my question?

I also live in Saskatchewan, & in the OP is one version
of what happened. I skimmed the OP & didn't see any
counterpoint regarding 'the other side of the story' by
anyone else that was present on that farm. What I can
say is that, as told in the OP, the story doesn't make any
sense at all.

What I do know is that I've heard on the radio several
times this morning is that anyone posting anything that
is not favorable to the story of the four or five swimmers
with the broken wheel on social media....they will be found
and charged and tribunals and all those type of threats.

What I can say, regardless of any reality surrounding this
issue, biased or not, real or not...be careful what you say
as somebody will be reading this with the intention of
gagging with Human Rights Tribunals and other such
political, financial, & legal tools....free speech if it doesn't
agree with one version of this story.

Govern yourselves accordingly.

Related Story from: FSIN blasts RCMP over release about shooting | News Talk 980 CJME
Read the PC sugar coating in that last few paragraphs of
that story, and understand the counterbalance to the sugar
coating is being broadcast on the radio repeatedly by
someone I'm assuming is backed by the FSIN.
That's an awful lot of typing for "I don't know."

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Land rights should be in this discussion
I live around radicals who think they can shoot anyone who comes on their property
It's a rural thing

If Tecum eats sushi it's good sushi because he/she is a lawyer