Farmers call for return of Canadian Wheat Board

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Alliance says cutting of marketing system led to $6.5B loss in 2 years

More than 50 farmers from the Swan River and Pelly areas of Manitoba and Saskatchewan met February 10, 2016 and unanimously passed a resolution calling for the re-establishment of the Canadian Wheat Board (CWB), and single-desk selling of grain in western Canada.

Kyle Korneychuk, spokesperson for the Canadian Wheat Board Alliance, an independent and non-partisan prairie-wide farm group noted: “The fact a farm meeting of this size could unanimously pass this resolution is a strong indication to Ottawa that farmers are now feeling the loss of the CWB in their pocketbooks.”

Korneychuk thanked the Manitoba Minister of Agriculture Ron Kostyshyn and elected Rural Municipal (RM) Councillors from both provinces for their support at the meeting. “Farmers respect those who consistently support them as this Minister has demonstrated.”

Responding to a study by Dr. Richard Gray of the University of Saskatchewan showing farmers lost about 6.5 billion dollars in the past two years; Agriculture Minister Kostyshyn said he is “very concerned about the financial situation of farmers since the loss of the CWB.” The Minister also expressed concern about the future of the rail line to the Swan River valley as well as the rail line to Churchill. RM Councillors expressed concerns about the recent closures of elevators and the long-term implications for the rail line.

more

Meeting unanimously passes resolution supporting reinstating the CWB – mySteinbach News

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Wasn't so long ago they were squealing like stuck pigs about how they were being deprived of so much money by the wheat board. Trouble is the got brainwashed by Cargill and ADM. HaHa.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Just for a change how about we export it from BC rather than shipping it east. That would also save empty trains traveling west from Ontario.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Just for a change how about we export it from BC rather than shipping it east. That would also save empty trains traveling west from Ontario.

Most of it probably goes in that direction, anyway. Who gets Western wheat, these days? China? India? Russia? It doesn't end up in our bread. We grow our own grains, have done so for a century and a half plus.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I was recalling in the past that wheat was the only export the Prairies were allowed and it had to go east so I imagine they made a quick buck acting as the middle man.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I was recalling in the past that wheat was the only export the Prairies were allowed and it had to go east so I imagine they made a quick buck acting as the middle man.

Probably some foreign middle men made the money. That is the Canadian Way, after all.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I would certainly support the Prairies diversify by growing hemp and shipping that east for processing into finished products rather than the Prairies takeing on that aspect as well.

Probably some foreign middle men made the money. That is the Canadian Way, after all.
How did the UK get involved??

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I would certainly support the Prairies diversify by growing hemp and shipping that east for processing into finished products rather than the Prairies takeing on that aspect as well.

How did the UK get involved??

You should send the hemp over the hump to Lotus Land where they have serious expertise with the stuff.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
So Vancouver then and we could keep it a local affair. Bales 16ft long would not be out of the question and Monsanto wouldn't even have to get involved.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So Vancouver then and we could keep it a local affair. Bales 16ft long would not be out of the question and Monsanto wouldn't even have to get involved.

Monsanto will develop a "Round-up Ready" hemp, drive any little farmer that doesn't use it off of his land and will end up owning your hemp crop.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
. . . and the land and the soul of the farmer and his family.
Since hemp is a weed their tinkering could be eliminated in a few generations. That same tinkering may explain why medical pot doesn't produce any seeds.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
There was a farmer in a village. He was very ambitious. He wanted to make more and more money. In the spring time, when it was rainy, he called out to God, "If it were sunny, I would sow some wheat." The next day, it became sunny, and the farmer sowed some wheat.

After that, he called out to God, "If it were rainy, it would be useful for my wheat." The following day, it rained.

The farmer called out to God, "If you gave more rain, my wheat would grow more." The following day, it rained again.

Then, in summer time, he harvested his wheat and collected it in a heap. The farmer called out to God, "If you had given more rain, my wheat harvest would have been bigger."

He asked God, "Why didn't you give me more rain and more wheat?" Then God made heavy rain, and all of the farmer's wheat floated away with the water.

Farmers have a sense of entitlement, why, I haven't a clue.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
. . . and the land and the soul of the farmer and his family.
Since hemp is a weed their tinkering could be eliminated in a few generations. That same tinkering may explain why medical pot doesn't produce any seeds.

Once they've crossed Cannibis Sativa with Yeti genes and created a true Monster Weed, there will be no turning back.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm still waiting for that bale of Nigerian Thunder Fuk weed to show up. Good deal, the guy had a bumper crop so I only had to pay the shipping, Should be here any day now . . .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'm still waiting for that bale of Nigerian Thunder Fuk weed to show up. Good deal, the guy had a bumper crop so I only had to pay the shipping, Should be here any day now . . .

How much did you send him?

Was there a bank transfer?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
$10k in small bills under $100, apparently they have no banks there, right away I felt sorry for him and his 11teen kids. I'm sure the delay is die to the X-mas rush he said he was experiencing. Any day now, . . .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
$10k in small bills under $100, apparently they have no banks there, right away I felt sorry for him and his 11teen kids. I'm sure the delay is die to the X-mas rush he said he was experiencing. Any day now, . . .
Inshallah.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
God Bless them , the Canadian wheat board built this country.

There was a farmer in a village. He was very ambitious. He wanted to make more and more money. In the spring time, when it was rainy, he called out to God, "If it were sunny, I would sow some wheat." The next day, it became sunny, and the farmer sowed some wheat.

After that, he called out to God, "If it were rainy, it would be useful for my wheat." The following day, it rained.

The farmer called out to God, "If you gave more rain, my wheat would grow more." The following day, it rained again.

Then, in summer time, he harvested his wheat and collected it in a heap. The farmer called out to God, "If you had given more rain, my wheat harvest would have been bigger."

He asked God, "Why didn't you give me more rain and more wheat?" Then God made heavy rain, and all of the farmer's wheat floated away with the water.

Farmers have a sense of entitlement, why, I haven't a clue.
Climate regulation, google it

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There were many who never wanted the Wheat Board gone and I think it will be
difficult to raise it from the dead