Sask mom wants mandatory prayers banned in public schools

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I had no idea they still did this......

Four days ago a Saskatchewan mother started a petition in an effort to remove mandatory religious prayers from public schools in the province.

Dusti Hennenfent's children go to Lindale Public Elementary School in Moose Jaw. The school plays the Lord's Prayer over the PA system every morning.

Under the Education Act, Saskatchewan schools are allowed to have mandatory prayers for students, even in public schools.
Should prayers be included in classroom time in public schools?

"I'm concerned that it really doesn't have respect for the individual beliefs of the students," said Hennenfent. "I don't understand the purpose of having religious worship for one religion at a public school."

Prayers in schools are not as common as they once were but there is no policy outright banning them from public schools.

According to Hennenfent, the prayer is recited at her children's school but is never discussed or explained, and serves no educational purpose.

She thinks it's a violation of human rights.

Alternative Solutions

Last year, after speaking with the school, she asked the provincial government to repeal the section of Education Act that allows public schools to include religious prayers.

"After the school had gathered their information from the parents and said that the majority did want the prayer to continue, I went and made a presentation to the school board," said Hennenfent. She hoped to bring up her concerns and share alternative options with the board.

"When I originally called the school and discussed this, at the very initial part of this process, I called the principal and she said that kids did have the option to leave the classroom [during the prayer]," said Hennenfent.

However, she said she was never made aware of that option, nor were her children. She also canvassed parents from seven different classrooms and learned that none of those children had been told that they had the option of leaving the classroom during the prayer.

The school has said that it will continue with the Lord's Prayer because the majority of parents, about 90 per cent, are in favour of it.

"I agree that 91 per cent is an overwhelming majority," Hennenfent said. "My question to that is, should the school be expected to respect 91 per cent of the students or 100 per cent of the students?"

Officials respond with written statements

The school division released a statement Friday saying the issue was debated at a board meeting and trustees voted 6 - 3 in favour of keeping the prayer. The division said it was following the law and honouring the views expressed in a poll of members of school parent councils.

The provincial government, when asked about the matter, responded with a written statement which said school divisions are "autonomous and responsible for local decision and policy making".

David Arnot, head of the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission, said Friday that he agrees with Hennenfent.

"What you can't do is choose one religion over another," Arnot said. "A dominant religion, like Christianity, doesn't get preference to other religions."

He added that, in his opinion, the section of the law that allows for prayers in schools is outdated (it dates to 1995) and would likely be re-written if challenged in court.

The commission considered the issue when it was brought to it as a complaint in 1999 and found the law was discriminatory.

However, the commission's conclusion was treated as a recommendation.

Hennenfent said the choice should be an individual one, for students to make.

"I'm not against students praying," she added. "I support them doing it in a private manner."

She noted that her community, Moose Jaw, and the province have a growing mix of people from many cultures with many religious beliefs and that should also be considered.

"Moose Jaw is moving forward, as far as the diverse background of the people that we have here," Hennenfent said. "We want to be recognized as progressive."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/banning-prayers-in-public-schools-1.3405175

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Mandatory prayers in school?
Saskatchewan is a theocracy now?
Sounds all ISIS'Y to me.
"You will pray to the god we instruct you to pray to if you are to be educated in the public school system."
Is that the doctrines of the Saskatchewan government. Pray to play?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's not mandatory eh1. That's just the lack of journalistic integrity and progressive spin tay likes to use.

Many kids just sit though it and ignore it.

SJW mommy wants her 15 minutes of fame.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yup. Because nobody is made to pray. A prayer may be played on the intercom but nobody is forced to pray. If Dusti Hennenfent wants to lie and claim it is forced, then she can go f-ck herself.

Hennenfent said. "We want to be recognized as progressive."
You live in moose jaw for f-ck sakes. 90% Christian.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't feel like digging through the posts elsewhere, but wasn't the vote amongst parents something like 76% to keep the prayer?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
It's not mandatory eh1. That's just the lack of journalistic integrity and progressive spin tay likes to use.

Many kids just sit though it and ignore it.

SJW mommy wants her 15 minutes of fame.

Indeed. I just like to rail.
Still, it gives me pause.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I have always wondered why they had prayers in schools even as a kid
i agreed with the student raising the flag and taking it down and making
sure it did not touch the ground. I get that but I never did like the prayers
even as a little kid and hey my mother was a very religious woman and a
strong Roman Catholic dad went to church but he didn't get bent out of
shape about religion.
For me I don't think school is a place for religion period that is for Sunday
School and church activities during the week.

I think this is going the route of confrontation rather than finding a solution
though

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I find it to be interesting that folks demand to be able to pray in school when Jesus requested that people not pray in public.

Not the first contradiction in religion.
Breaking society of the notion that a certain religion is somehow
special and should be honored by all regardless of their beliefs
is no different than equal pay for women or gay marriage.
Children don't have to sit through a gay butt fukking every morning
so why the 'Lord's Prayer"?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't like the bank machine asking me in English which language I'd like to use but I put up with it and carry on with my day.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
All right if a Christian prayer is acceptable then all religions in the community should
have their prayers recited on the intercom including those who have controversial
belief systems. See that is the problem if you are going to cater to one then all need
to be represented
Democracy recognizes the will of the majority but must respect the will of the minority

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I don't like the bank machine asking me in English which language I'd like to use but I put up with it and carry on with my day.

Uh huh. And still nobody is telling you what to believe.
You just ain't down home when that happens. I know what you mean but...

All right if a Christian prayer is acceptable then all religions in the community should
have their prayers recited on the intercom including those who have controversial
belief systems. See that is the problem if you are going to cater to one then all need
to be represented
Democracy recognizes the will of the majority but must respect the will of the minority

Nope. Sorry. Some religions are special. Apparently.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
to be represented

Majority rules and this is what was chosen.

Uh huh. And still nobody is telling you what to believe

Who is telling who to believe what?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Majority rules and this is what was chosen.

Hmmm. Guess your right. Everybody, therefore will bend to the will of Christianity and nobody has the freedom to protest.

"You vill zay our prayer or sit quietly while we do as we please"

Well, there is no "God" so lighten up.

Religion

According to the Canada 2001 Census, the most practiced religions in the province were:[10]

151,455 people declared themselves as without religion.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Indoctrination of the youth is how a religion grows. Get them when they're young and pliable. Without new members your religion will dwindle as it is nonsense and really, if you can't get people to believe as you do why should our children be fodder for your in school proselytizing?

No freedom to protest? Are you high?

I'm not in BC. ;)