Brad Wall Changes Tune On Equilization Money

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
So apparently some unspecified event in federal politics this fall has caused Brad Wall to start demanding money (link is external) from Ottawa which he'd never have considered seeking before.

Now if only he hadn't trashed Saskatchewan's bargaining position by dropping (link is external) the court challenge which could have ensured that resource revenues didn't play a disproportionate role in equalization allocations - and all at the request (link is external) of the Conservative Prime Minister he served at the time.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Saskatchewan has received money from the rest of Canada, almost uninterrupted since they joined Confederation, until just a few years go.

Nasty.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
From my father, who was born, raised in Saskatchewan and lived there through the dust bowl thirties. Used used to talk about the relief food packages that came from Ontario churches, the crates of apples and bails of hay donated by Ontario farmers,

But that was THEN and this is NOW and Ontario is now a bunch of commie bastwards scroungers living off the avails of the potash trade.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Those are facts. You just don't know much Saskatchwan history ... or Canada, apparently.

Where are you from, anyway? Minnesota?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
From my father, who was born, raised in Saskatchewan and lived there through the dust bowl thirties. Used used to talk about the relief food packages that came from Ontario churches, the crates of apples and bails of hay donated by Ontario farmers,

But that was THEN and this is NOW and Ontario is now a bunch of commie bastwards scroungers living off the avails of the potash trade.

Sounds like a separation cry...

http://m.paherald.sk.ca/Elections '...ay-establish-the-nation-of-Saskatchewanspan/1

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Saskatchewan has received money from the rest of Canada, almost uninterrupted since they joined Confederation, until just a few years go.

Saskatchewan receives the Canada Health Transfer and the Canada Social Transfer, but all provinces receive those payments. The last time that Saskatchewan received an equalization transfer payment was in the 2007-2008 budget year. Saskatchewan also received a special payment of $7,000,000 in the 2010-2011 budget year, to ensure that its total transfer for health and social services would not decrease compared to the previous year (source: Department of Finance).

Transfer payments to Saskatchewan have been as follows:
  • 2016-2017: $0 (projected)
  • 2015-2016: $0
  • 2014-2015: $0
  • 2013-2014: $0
  • 2012-2013: $0
  • 2011-2012: $0
  • 2010-2011: $0
  • 2009-2010: $0
  • 2008-2009: $0
  • 2007-2008: $226 million
  • 2006-2008: $13 million
  • 2005-2006: $89 million
  • 2004-2005: $652 million
  • 2003-2004: $0
  • 2002-2003: $106 million
  • 2001-2002: $200 million
  • 2000-2001: 208 million

(Some numbers sourced from The Canadian Equalization Program, by Jean-Thomas Bernard.)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Those are not equalization payments. That would be charity.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It is a far different thing to get relief from a church or other group but not from Federal coffers.
Even Tommy Douglas didn't go there as I understand it Petros correct me if I am wrong.
Saskatchewan did its own thing for most of the twentieth century. Alberta did share in federal
funds I believe but not Saskatchewan
He is doing what he has too there is an election coming fast than a train that doesn't go by
much anymore

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I don't? Why wouldn't I? I've never been there?

Where am I from? Regina. You?

There are a couple of streets and a park in Regina that have my sirname, because they were named after my paternal grandfather (who immigrated to there in 1905 and was there just about from the beginning)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are a couple of streets and a park in Regina that have my sirname, because they were named after my paternal grandfather (who immigrated to there in 1905 and was there just about from the beginning)
Nice. 1897 for my family. They called it the NWT.

You can find my surname all over SK and Nation wide on several things like the Charter of Rights and Freedoms

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It is a far different thing to get relief from a church or other group but not from Federal coffers.
Even Tommy Douglas didn't go there as I understand it Petros correct me if I am wrong.
Saskatchewan did its own thing for most of the twentieth century. Alberta did share in federal
funds I believe but not Saskatchewan
He is doing what he has too there is an election coming fast than a train that doesn't go by
much anymore
SK was the third largest Province until 58 which mean nothing but giving from the start. It was the mid 80 when **** hit the fan like all other Provinces when interest rates and provincial NDP overspending did SK in.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
SK was the third largest Province until 58 which mean nothing but giving from the start. It was the mid 80 when **** hit the fan like all other Provinces when interest rates and provincial NDP overspending did SK in.
I remember my dad saying how it was bigger in the twenties than it was in the sixties, seventies, so severe was the outmigration during the natural disaster that was the drought. It affected him, those times and you could notice him getting a bit uptight when it didn't rain for a few weeks and the lawn began to burn off. It took Saskatchewan decades to recover from what was probably the biggest natural disaster to have hit Canada I historic times. I am deeply glad, by the way that Saskatchewan HAS recovered.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I remember my dad saying how it was bigger in the twenties than it was in the sixties, seventies, so severe was the outmigration during the natural disaster that was the drought. It affected him, those times and you could notice him getting a bit uptight when it didn't rain for a few weeks and the lawn began to burn off. It took Saskatchewan decades to recover from what was probably the biggest natural disaster to have hit Canada I historic times. I am deeply glad, by the way that Saskatchewan HAS recovered.

Until just a couple years ago it has always hovered around 1 million people. It grew 20% in the last 8 years.