SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Winnipeg lawyer identified as victim of law office explosion

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Friday, July 3, 2015 1:20PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, July 3, 2015 8:17PM EDT
One woman was rushed to hospital with serious injuries after an explosive device detonated inside a Winnipeg office building Friday morning.

Police responded to reports of an explosion at Petersen King law firm on River Avenue just after 10 a.m.

According to police, 35-year-old Maria Mitousis suffered severe upper body injuries and was taken to hospital in critical condition. Mitousis is a family lawyer and has worked at Peterson King since September.

No one else was hurt in the incident.

Police cordoned off River Ave., between Mayfair Ave. and Clark St., in Winnipeg’s Osborne neighbourhood. Various forces, including a tactical police unit, a hazardous material unit and a bomb squad were called to the scene.

At a news conference Friday afternoon, Superintendent Danny Smyth said the incident is being investigated as a “specific” crime.
“We don’t consider this to be a general threat to the public or any other businesses at this time,” Smyth said.

The second law firm

Smyth said police were also called to a second law firm, Monk Goodwin LLP, located approximately one kilometre away. Smyth identified Mitousis as a former employee of Monk Goodwin, and said employees of the firm left the building as a precaution.

A bomb squad also swept the St. Mary Avenue building.

Smyth said police were still early into their investigation, and that it wasn’t clear whether Mitousis was an intended target of the explosion.

“However it came into her possession, it was an explosive device that was triggered inadvertently by this woman,” Cst. Eric Hofley told reporters at the scene earlier in the day.

There is “no indication at this point” that any other potential explosive devices are in the area, Hofley added. However, some nearby buildings have been evacuated and blocked off.

Ongoing investigation
People in nearby apartment buildings were being cautioned throughout the day to remain indoors during the police investigation.
Darien Valentine, who lives next door to Petersen King, said he felt the explosion first-hand.

“I heard a commotion. Like a big shake,” he said. “Then I'm like, what is going on? I just felt my pictures just drop down from my wall.”
Bomb squads were searching the neighbourhood for signs of other explosives during the day.

As of Friday evening, St. Mary Avenue was back open to traffic, though sections of River Avenue remained closed for investigation.

Winnipeg lawyer identified as victim of law office explosion | CTV News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No no real people were killed in the blast? Thank God for small miracles.

Oh and RIP for the dead lawyer.

Wow. Sorry to break the sad, sad news to you but she's not dead.

Mitousis was taken to hospital with face and chest injuries after the explosion at about 10:15 a.m. Visibly shaken employees hugged outside the offices after the explosion.
The Canadian Press reported that Mitousis lost a hand and was in danger of losing the other one.

Lawyer Maria Mitousis injured in explosion at Winnipeg law office | Globalnews.ca

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Wow. Sorry to break the sad, sad news to you but she's not dead.

Mitousis was taken to hospital with face and chest injuries after the explosion at about 10:15 a.m. Visibly shaken employees hugged outside the offices after the explosion.
The Canadian Press reported that Mitousis lost a hand and was in danger of losing the other one.

Lawyer Maria Mitousis injured in explosion at Winnipeg law office | Globalnews.ca

I am glad she is not dead. I mis-assumed. Perhaps my toungue-in-cheek above was a bit too harsh.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Maybe it's just me but I read this story about a 35 year old woman who just went to work on a Friday morning and before lunch she lost her hand and, from the sounds of it, part of her face and chest. What she does for a living, does it really matter? I get lawyer jokes and all but to me, this is a violent and brutal act. Quite a horrific one.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
She's apparently has a 'Family Law' practice.. which means she's involved with issues of divorce, settlements of property, custody, spousal and child support.. which can potentially be very divisive and bitter.

She has quite an impressive academic background including high distinction in her Masters in Classics at Queen's (she's active in the Greek community). I wish her a good recuperation... and that they find the responsible party and dole out some justice.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Maybe it's just me but I read this story about a 35 year old woman who just went to work on a Friday morning and before lunch she lost her hand and, from the sounds of it, part of her face and chest. What she does for a living, does it really matter? I get lawyer jokes and all but to me, this is a violent and brutal act. Quite a horrific one.
Meh, lawyers got it coming.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Winnipeg law office bombing: Cops seek public's help in blast that injured lawyer
The Canadian Press
First posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 10:17 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, July 04, 2015 10:25 PM EDT
WINNIPEG -- Police in Winnipeg continue to say they believe a suspected bomb that seriously injured a lawyer is an "isolated incident" and the public isn't at risk.
Investigators released no other details on Friday's incident where Maria Mitousis, who specializes in family law, was hurt by a suspected explosive device that was sent to the office where she worked.
Police say they are still at the scene, and that the 38-year-old victim remains in hospital after being taken there in critical condition.
One source who spoke to The Canadian Press on condition of anonymity said Mitousis lost a hand and was in danger of losing the other one.
A GoFundMe page has been set up online to raise money for Mitousis, stating she "sustained very serious injuries" and "will require financial support as she recovers from this horrific event."
Police are asking anyone with information about the case to contact them.
Police Supt. Danny Smyth told reporters Friday that investigators don't believe the incident was an attack on the justice system.
They said the victim was alone in the offices of the small firm -- Peterson King -- at the time of the blast and that nearby residents alerted them.
After the blast, police went to the downtown law firm where she had worked until last fall -- Monk Goodwin -- and workers were removed as a precaution.
Police said they were called there for a report of a suspicious package, but that it turned out to be unfounded.
Mitousis's boyfriend, Barry Gorlick, had worked at Monk Goodwin before being disbarred Monday on 15 counts of professional misconduct.
Smyth said police "were aware" of the connection to Gorlick and media coverage of his misdeeds, but stressed they had no suspects and no motive yet for the bombing.
Winnipeg law office bombing: Cops seek public's help in blast that injured lawye

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Man arrested in connection with Winnipeg law office explosion
By Jim Bender, Winnipeg Sun
First posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 07:03 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, July 05, 2015 11:35 PM EDT
WINNIPEG - Information gleaned from the victim of a bomb explosion may have led to the arrest of a suspect.
Maria Mitousis, a 38-year-old lawyer for Peterson King, suffered serious injuries as the result of the blast at the River Avenue law office Friday morning, and she spoke to investigators after undergoing surgery Saturday.
Police took a 49-year-old man into custody Saturday night but had not officially charged him for his alleged role in the bombing by late Sunday afternoon.
"I think she was able to provide a fair bit of information to our investigators," Insp. Danny Smyth said. "Certainly, we're not prepared to speak publicly on that.
"Investigators did have a conversation with her. I don't know how extensive it was and, of course, she's been through a lot in the last couple of days and I understand she's had surgery. But certainly, we were able to discuss some things with her."
Mitousis has been upgraded to stable condition. Smyth would only say she suffered significant injuries to her upper body.
The Canadian Press has reported that she had lost one hand in the blast and was in danger of losing the other. Colleagues of the 38-year-old set up a fundraising website which had raised almost $15,000 in little over 24 hours.
"Her recovery will take considerable time," Smyth said.
Police were alerted to a business on the 500 block of Washington Avenue on Saturday afternoon. The bomb unit discovered an explosive device, which they detonated with a water cannon Saturday night. No one was injured but there was extensive damage to the business.
"Investigators have confirmed a link between the Washington Avenue business and the River Avenue explosion at the Peterson King law firm," said Smyth. "Police are still holding the scene on Washington depending on a post-blast examination."
On Sunday, police were waiting for the bomb unit to finish investigating reports of suspicious packages at both a residence on Pandora Avenue and a business on Springfield Road. Some residents near the Pandora location were evacuated as a precaution.
"We have had no specific information as to whether there are explosives at either location," Smyth said. "But, given the discoveries on Washington and River Avenue, we can't take any chances."
Police also received a report of a suspicious package at the Orle Bargen Davidson LLP office at 280 Stradbrook Ave., where fire trucks were present Sunday evening. They were also waiting for the bomb unit.
Police have received about 20 such reports but do not believe they are related to the River Avenue explosion.
"We're still investigating this as if it was a very specific crime," Smyth said. "We don't think this is a general threat to the public."
Mitousis was injured days after her boyfriend, Barry Gorlick, was stripped of his licence to practice law. He had worked at another firm and pleaded guilty to misappropriating money from two clients and lying to a third. Police said they were aware of what happened to Gorlick, but gave no indication there was a connection between his disbarment and the bombing.
-With files from The Canadian Press
jim.bender@sunmedia.ca
Twitter: @bendersun
Man arrested in connection with Winnipeg law office explosion | Winnipeg | Canad

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Man charged in bombing of Winnipeg law firm
Steve Lambert, The Canadian Press
First posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 07:03 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 06, 2015 02:15 AM EDT
Winnipeg police have charged a man with sending explosive devices to law firms and other businesses in the city, and they caution that more packages may be discovered in the coming days.
Guido Amsel, 49, has been charged with two counts of attempted murder, one count of aggravated assault and a number of offences related to possessing explosives.
The hunt for Amsel started last Friday, when a bomb went off inside a small law firm south of the downtown area, severely injuring Maria Mitousis, 38.
Another bomb was found Saturday at a small business in another part of the city. Then Sunday night, yet another explosive device was detonated by police at a law firm closer to downtown.
Police say Amsel targeted law firms that had represented himself or his ex-wife in the past, and they warn that other packages may be delivered to lawyers or justice officials in the city.
"Police are imploring extreme caution if any suspicious packages are discovered," the city police service said in a release late Sunday.
Amsel has been remanded in custody, and police say they are continuing to search a business and a residence linked to the suspect.
Court records show he went through a divorce that dragged on for years, and was also sued by his ex-wife. In both cases, Amsel's ex-wife was represented by Mitousis, who remains in hospital in stable condition with serious injuries to her upper body.
Police have said Mitousis was alone in her office when a package delivered by Canada Post exploded.
Colleagues of the 38-year-old set up a fundraising website which had raised almost $15,000 in little over 24 hours. The site said Mitousis faces "a long road to recovery." A source in the legal community said Mitousis had undergone surgery and had lost one of her hands
The device that was detonated by police Sunday night was at a law firm connected to a lawsuit Amsel's ex-wife filed in 2010 that involved a numbered company the couple had set up more than a decade earlier.
Amsel has continued to operate the numbered company. Records from the Rural Municipality of Springfield, just outside Winnipeg, show he was granted the right last fall to set up a small car lot in the community. He was scheduled to apply for another business permit at the end of May, but his representative did not attend, according to minutes of the council meeting.
Guido Amsel, 49, is shown in this undated handout photo. Winnipeg police have charged a man with sending explosive devices to law firms and other businesses in the city, and they cautioned more packages may be discovered in the coming days. Guido Amsel, 49, has been charged with two counts of attempted murder, one count of aggravated assault and a number of offences related to possessing explosives. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Winnipeg Police Service handout)

Man charged in bombing of Winnipeg law firm | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Court docs suggest bitter divorce battle may be at heart of string of letter bombs in Winnipeg
Postmedia Network
First posted: Monday, July 06, 2015 01:18 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 06:56 AM EDT
WINNIPEG — Court documents show a man accused of sending letter bombs all over Winnipeg has been in a decade-long battle with his ex-wife that includes accusations of theft, impersonation and a wedding ring being flushed down a toilet.
Police allege Guido Amsel's rage over perceived mistreatment at the hands of his former wife and lawyers who had been involved in the dispute led to him sending explosive devices to their offices though Canada Post.
A lawyer was seriously injured when one of the bombs blew up at a firm on Friday. Police detonated two more devices over the weekend and warned justice officials that more could be found in the next day or so.
Police still have no idea how many letter bombs might be in the mail.
They've asked anyone who's had dealings with Amsel to be diligent and to alert police to any suspicious packages.
The threat has prompted dozens of reports of suspicious packages. City hall and a nearby Canada Post office were briefly evacuated Monday.
Court documents show Guido Amsel, 49, and his wife, Iris, separated in 2004. They have a son, who was nine at the time.
Documents show the divorce became bitter in 2010 when Guido Amsel accused his ex-wife of siphoning more than $3 million from their shared company into hidden bank accounts prior to the divorce.
"I am fearful that the respondent will transfer funds from these and any other accounts she may have to Germany and thereafter relocate there with the intention of keeping our son there as well,” reads an affidavit from Guido Amsel dated July 9, 2010.
Guido Amsel also accused his ex-wife in the affidavit of flushing his wedding ring down a toilet and trying to break up his second marriage. He complained his ex-wife created a fake boyfriend to send his second wife e-mails and flowers, and at times hiring people to play the role of this fictitious person to telephone her.
Iris Amsel has denied all the accusations.
Iris Amsel's lawyer was Maria Mitousis, 38, who lost one of her hands when she opened a letter bomb in her office last Friday. She is still recovering in hospital after emergency surgery but is expected to survive.
Guido Amsel also demanded a paternity test on his son.
One of the bombs detonated by police was found at another law firm involved with the case and the second was at a small automotive business north of downtown with ties to Iris Amsel.
Police continued to search a business and a residence linked to the suspect.
- with files from the Canadian Press and Winnipeg Sun
Police investigate at a business in Winnipeg, Man., in connection with a bombing on July 5, 2015. (Brian Donogh/Winnipeg Sun/Postmedia Network)
Guido Amsel, 49, is shown in this undated handout photo. Winnipeg police have charged a man with sending explosive devices to law firms and other businesses in the city, and they cautioned more packages may be discovered in the coming days. Guido Amsel, 49, has been charged with two counts of attempted murder, one count of aggravated assault and a number of offences related to possessing explosives. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Winnipeg Police Service handout)

Court docs suggest bitter divorce battle may be at heart of string of letter bom

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Explosion at ex-wife's house sounded like plane crash: neighbour
By Jim Bender, Winnipeg Sun First posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 06:25 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 09:47 AM EDT
A St. Clements resident recalled the sound, if not the sight, vividly.
“It rocked my world,” David Kane said Tuesday.
Kane heard what turned out to be an explosion that erupted on the front porch of the house across from his Nicholas Avenue home about 18 months ago. It was not until two days later that Kane discovered an explosive device had been detonated at the home owned by Iris Amsel, the ex-wife of Guido Amsel.
“We’re right on a flight path and I thought it was one of those U.S. parcel planes crashing,” Kane said. “Or maybe, someone had slid on some black ice and crashed into my garage.
“It shook the ground. But I looked out my window and there was no one there.”
Guido Amsel has been charged with two counts of attempted murder and other charges for his alleged role in bombs mailed to three people, including Maria Mitousis, his ex-wife’s lawyer. Mitousis suffered significant upper-body injuries when the bomb exploded in her hands. Police found two other bombs — one sent to the business where his ex-wife works — and detonated them safely.
No one was arrested for the explosion in St. Clements.
“Manitoba RCMP can confirm that on the morning of Dec. 13, 2013, officers attended a residence on Nicholas Street, in the RM of St Clements, in response to a report of mischief where private property was damaged,” RCMP spokesman Cpl. Bert Paquet wrote in an email. “In light of recent events, our investigators are looking at the case again, but having said that, our file was never closed.
“The investigation is ongoing and as such, we are unable to comment further at this time.”
Winnipeg police believe Amsel’s ex-wife was one of his targets due to a bitter legal battle with her.
“Guido’s re-married and has two children,” Kane said. “I didn’t think he would jeopardize their lives.”
The case has resulted in many reports of suspicious packages around Winnipeg in the past few days. In addition to City Hall and various law firms, two Canada Post depots were briefly evacuated. A number of letter carriers refused to deliver mail, especially to law firms, on Monday, said Glenn Bennett, president of the local Canadian Union of Postal Workers.
“We have ongoing concerns about our members and the public,” Bennett said. “We’ve had some assurance that the packages only explode when they’re opened, but you never know.”
jim.bender@sunmedia.ca
Twitter: @bendersun
Winnipeg Police investigated several bomb threats following Friday's bombing, including this one Sunday on Springfield Road. (Brian Donogh/Winnipeg Sun)

Explosion at ex-wife's house sounded like plane crash: neighbour | Canada | News

Bombing suspect agreed to pay ex $40K
By David Larkins, Winnipeg Sun First posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 04:04 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 09:48 AM EDT
Women who were apparent targets of letter bombs allegedly sent by Guido Amsel were also principal players in a civil suit settled less than four months ago.
Court documents reviewed Tuesday show Amsel and his ex-wife Iris were embroiled in a five-year civil proceeding stemming from financial matters with Euro Tech Auto Body, the business in which they were co-shareholders.
Yet those matters had appeared to be put in the past when Guido Amsel agreed in March to drop a counterclaim against Iris and pay up the lingering $40,000 he owed as part of an agreement between the two parties when they dissolved the business in 2008.
Iris Amsel filed her claim in 2010, arguing her ex-husband paid her $100,000 on a shareholders loan, but still owed $40,000.
Guido Amsel filed a counterclaim naming his ex-wife and her parents in Germany, alleging Iris Amsel was in control of the Euro Tech’s finances and, while holding those responsibilities, misused and misappropriated funds from the business.
“By reason of breach of duty and negligence of the plaintiff, the defendants have suffered, and continue to suffer, loss and damage in an amount to be proven at trial,” Guido Amsel’s counterclaim stated.
Now Guido Amsel stands accused of mailing explosive devices to three locations in Winnipeg: his ex-wife’s home, to the office of Maria Mitousis — the lawyer who represented his ex-wife — and to the lawyer who represented him in the civil matter before recusing herself last fall, citing a “breakdown of the relationship” between Amsel and her firm.
Mitousis was seriously injured in the explosion at her Petersen King law office on River Avenue last Friday and remains in hospital.
Guido Amsel was not in attendance for his initial court appearance on Tuesday and the matter was remanded to Thursday. He has not entered a plea and remains in custody.
david.larkins@sunmedia.ca
Twitter: @LarkinsWSun
Guido Amsel, 49, had stopped fighting a lawsuit with his ex-wife earlier this year. (Winnipeg Police Service photo)

Bombing suspect agreed to pay ex $40K | Home | Toronto Sun