Probation for teen who lit girl's hair, made anti-Semitic remark

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Probation for teen who lit girl's hair, made anti-Semitic remark
By Dean Pritchard ,Winnipeg Sun First posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 06:23 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, January 02, 2014 06:37 PM EST
WINNIPEG -- A local teen who lit a classmate's hair on fire and made an anti-Semitic comment was sentenced to 18 months of supervised probation.
The now 17-year-old boy was also ordered to complete 75 hours community service work for the November 2011 attack.
The boy previously pleaded guilty to one count of assault with a weapon.
"It was a real big mistake," he told court Thursday.
Court heard the then 15-year-old boy and 15-year-old female victim -- both then students at Oak Park High School -- were in the hallway when the boy started flicking a lighter near the girl's hair and said, "Let's burn the Jew."
A few inches of the girl's hair was singed but she was otherwise uninjured.
Crown attorney Colin Soul said it "does not appear" the boy targeted the girl because she was Jewish but because he was a "bully and a jerk."
"If he could have taunted her in any other way, he would have," Soul said.
The Crown accepted the boy did not intend to burn the girl's hair, but was reckless in flicking the lighter the way he did, Soul said.
Defence lawyer Sandra Bracken said the boy did not think his words "particularly anti-Semitic," noting the two had an "established pattern" of greeting each other in derogatory terms.
"It wasn't as if he bullied her or targeted her in particular," Bracken said.
Following the boy's arrest, police looked at whether the assault qualified as a hate crime.
Judge Rob Finlayson said the boy's words were "totally vulgar and inappropriate," but he was satisfied the "impulsive and unplanned" assault was not racially motivated.
"It comes as no surprise it was (initially) viewed in the most negative light possible," Finlayson said.
dean.pritchard@sunmedia.ca
Twitter: @deanatwpgsun
Oak Park High School in Winnipeg. (JASON HALSTEAD/QMI AGENCY)

Probation for teen who lit girl's hair, made anti-Semitic remark | Home | Toronto Sun

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I remember in grade 5 during recess that we all went outside to play football. One guy got tackled and than everybody jumped on top and buried him. I ran in and yelled aloud, "N*gger Pile!" and jumped on.

Everybody had a laugh as it wasn't expected and at that age I had no idea what it meant, but somewhere along the line I heard someone say that relating to football so I said it. Of course the principal was nearby and heard me, then gave me a long lecture on how what I said was inappropriate, etc. I didn't know it was something negative towards African Americans and I'm not a racist person, I just thought it related to football when everybody piled up on the ball like that.

It was a small town school in Northern Nova Scotia during the early 90's and nobody from African heritage went to the school, but you know..... Sometimes kids will say and do stupid things.

As a not so popular kid in school I was popular for about 10 seconds because it appeared I had the balls to say something like that.

Regarding the above report, considering the situation, the age of the kids during the incident and that nobody was really physically harmed beyond a bit of burnt hair.... The punishment seems to fit the crime.