The purpose of human existence

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
What is the ultimate reason or purpose of human existence?
Do you know any purposes? The way we live has no meaning and no purpose. We can invent a purpose, the purpose of perfection, enlightenment, reaching the highest form of sensitivity; we can invent endless theories. And we are caught in those theories, making them our problems. Our daily life has no meaning, no purpose, except to make a bit of money and lead an idiotic kind of life. One can observe all this, not in theory but actually in oneself; the endless battle in oneself, seeking a purpose, seeking enlightenment, going all over the world—specially to China , India or to Japan—to learn a technique of meditation. You can invent a thousand purposes but you need not go anywhere, not to the Himalayas, to a monastery, or to any ashram—which is another form of concentration camp—because everything is in you. The highest, the immeasurable, is in you, if you know how to look. Do not assume it is there; that is one of the stupid tricks we play upon ourselves: that we are God, that we are the ‘perfect’ and all the rest of that childish stuff. Yet through the illusion, through ‘what is’, through the measurable, you find something that is immeasurable; but you must begin with yourself, where you can discover for yourself how to look.

einmensch

Electoral Member
Mar 1, 2008
Is this a cut and paste for your 12 year old son or have you,just now, come to this revelation ?
What is the purpose of a mosquito or---?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

There is no 'purpose', human existence is simply one life form that has evolved here on earth. It serves no higher purpose, and doesn't exist for any particular reason.

Why does copper exist?
Because it does.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
To enjoy life.
Do you know any purposes?
Yes.
The way we live has no meaning and no purpose.
Perhaps your life has no meaning, but mine does. If you are talking about our lives having a meaning according to the universe, I'd say it doesn't except perhaps to fill voids.
We can invent a purpose, the purpose of perfection, enlightenment, reaching the highest form of sensitivity; we can invent endless theories. And we are caught in those theories, making them our problems.
Some do. My life isn't a theory, it's a definitive. I suspect their are others like me.
Our daily life has no meaning, no purpose, except to make a bit of money and lead an idiotic kind of life.
Speak for yourself. I enjoy my life. That's what it's for.
One can observe all this, not in theory but actually in oneself; the endless battle in oneself, seeking a purpose, seeking enlightenment, going all over the world—specially to China , India or to Japan—to learn a technique of meditation. You can invent a thousand purposes but you need not go anywhere, not to the Himalayas, to a monastery, or to any ashram—which is another form of concentration camp—because everything is in you. The highest, the immeasurable, is in you, if you know how to look. Do not assume it is there; that is one of the stupid tricks we play upon ourselves: that we are God, that we are the ‘perfect’ and all the rest of that childish stuff. Yet through the illusion, through ‘what is’, through the measurable, you find something that is immeasurable; but you must begin with yourself, where you can discover for yourself how to look.
:?:Whatever.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I suppose if one looks at the purpose of our lives the same as all animals on this
earth, it is to persevere and keep the species alive, to reproduce and survive,
to keep on existing, and live for 'one's' young coming into the world.

It seems we have evolved in such a way that 'greed' comes to the forefront, and
in the large picture, it is man eat man financially and georgraphically, therefore
the greediest and most powerful should survive, and do, and the downtrodden
and weak and poor, suffer.

We should be happy and enjoy our existence, and I imagine from each one's
vantage point, we do, because we choose to do what we do for our own benefit,
to satisfy ourselves, and have food on the table, and own 'things'.