Intellect -won't solve our problems.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
One can see that most of us are not concerned with this fantastic universe about us; we never even see the waving of the leaf in the wind; we never watch a blade of grass, touch it with our hand and know the quality of its being. Heck,I'm not trying to be poetic I'm just saying it is essential to have that deep feeling for life and not be caught in intellectual ramifications, discussions, passing examinations, quoting, and brushing something new aside by saying it has already been said.I truly don,t think intellect is the way. Intellect will not solve our problems; the intellect will not give us that"nourishment which is imperishable". The intellect can reason, discuss, analyse, come to a conclusion from inferences and so on, but intellect is limited, for intellect is the result of our conditioning. But sensitivity is not. Sensitivity has no conditioning; it takes you right out of the field of fears and anxieties. I am truly convinced that the mind that is not sensitive to everything about it—to the mountains, the telegraph pole, the lamp, the voice, the smile,baby's cry, everything— that mind is incapable of finding what is true.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I think most people in this world do take the time to smell the roses and thereupon lament that nobody does so anymore.

Also, irony means nothing to you? You are intellectualising the fact that intellect cannot help you? Proving yourself right would prove yourself wrong.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Niflmir

I think most people in this world do take the time to smell the roses and thereupon lament that nobody does so anymore.
Also, irony means nothing to you? You are intellectualising the fact that intellect cannot help you? Proving yourself right would prove yourself wrong.
The contents of the beginning post of this thread is my point of view .
Thanks for your response ;what is it that you are trying to say?
Are you really describing the contents of my post as being in a form of intellectualizing ? -you don't ask for much ; do you ?

Last edited:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Niflmir

The contents of the beginning post of this thread is my point of view .
Thanks for your response ;what is it that you are trying to say?
Are you really describing the contents of my post as being in a form of intellectualizing ? -you don't ask for much ; do you ?

I am trying to say that you do not give enough credit to other people. As for the intellectualizing in your post...

The intellect can reason, discuss, analyse, come to a conclusion from inferences and so on, ...

That is your definition, and it is fine. You then come to a conclusion that the intellect cannot help you learn the truth. But you used intellect to get there. Which immediately invalidates the conclusion.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
But you used intellect to get there. Which immediately invalidates the conclusion.
But you used intellect to get there. Which immediately invalidates the conclusion.
You are using the term "intellect"which I want to change to "observation " for that's what I do-- observe .
On the other hand ,obviously ,your learning ,like you say ,comes from intellectualizing which is not a fact but an " academic gossip ".

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
You are using the term "intellect"which I want to change to "observation " for that's what I do-- observe .
On the other hand ,obviously ,your learning ,like you say ,comes from intellectualizing which is not a fact but an " academic gossip ".

They are your words, not mine. You defined intellect, not me. Your original post exactly fits the bill of your definition. Reasoning, discussing, concluding. But then you shoot yourself in the foot somewhere along the way and conclude that your conclusion is wrong.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
JLM
China- Why the multiple threads about basically the same thing?
JLM-They are 2 different threads as their title implies .The smiliarity may come from the input of the participants of the thread and the very similar motive for that very input.

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Happy remembrance Day every one .

The skill of intelligence is to put knowledge in its right place. Without knowledge it’s not possible to live in this technological and almost mechanical civilization but it will not transform the human being and his society.Intelect is not the excellence of intelligence; intelligence can and does use knowledge and thus transforms man and his society. Intelligence is not the mere cultivation of the intellect and its integrity. It comes out of the understanding of the whole consciousness of man, yourself and not a part, a separate segment, of yourself. The study and the understanding of the movement of your own mind and heart give birth to this intelligence. You are the content of your consciousness; in knowing yourself you will know the universe. This knowing is beyond the word for the word is not the thing. The freedom from the known, every minute, is the essence of intelligence. It’s this intelligence that is in operation in the universe if you leave it alone. You are destroying this sacredness of order through the ignorance of yourself. This ignorance is not banished by the studies others have made about you or themselves. You yourself have to study the content of your own consciousness.No one else can do it for you.

Good Night Canada

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"You are the content of your consciousness; in knowing yourself you will know the universe. This knowing is beyond the word for the word is not the thing."-

What does this gobblety gook mean?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"You are the content of your consciousness; in knowing yourself you will know the universe. This knowing is beyond the word for the word is not the thing."-

What does this gobblety gook mean?

I can grasp the intent of his comment but like china I am having difficulty expressing it coherently. our consciousness isn't just our thoughts (intellect) but is the sum total of the consciousness of every cell in our being. Every cell is aware of its function within the greater whole. We are also connected to group consciousness which can encompass our immediate circle of friends, our community, our political and religious affiliations, our province, our country as well as the whole of humanity.

Not all our thoughts are original, that is originating within our own minds. Very often, inspiration (for music, invention, etc) comes from the group or collective consciousness. We pick it up, so to speak, from the network of interconnectedness we have with the larger group consciousness.

To really understand ourselves we need to stop and listen to the inner dialogue that is constantly droning on inside our heads (meditation). What we find there may surprise some as it contains the voices and words of those who have influenced our upbringing/education. Not much of it is very flattering and some of t is downright destructive. But it is these thoughts that influence how we react to life. But in order to change our lives for the better we need to know what we have been creating our lives with all along.

At this point, we can begin to change the inner dialogue to something that will influence the outcomes of our lives. More on this later, if anybody is interested.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Intelligence is like when you burn your finger and remove it from the flame. Common sense is what tells you not to do it again.
Not to be confused with intellectuals, who mostly think about lots of things but can not actually do any of them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can grasp the intent of his comment but like china I am having difficulty expressing it coherently. our consciousness isn't just our thoughts (intellect) but is the sum total of the consciousness of every cell in our being. Every cell is aware of its function within the greater whole. We are also connected to group consciousness which can encompass our immediate circle of friends, our community, our political and religious affiliations, our province, our country as well as the whole of humanity.

Not all our thoughts are original, that is originating within our own minds. Very often, inspiration (for music, invention, etc) comes from the group or collective consciousness. We pick it up, so to speak, from the network of interconnectedness we have with the larger group consciousness.

To really understand ourselves we need to stop and listen to the inner dialogue that is constantly droning on inside our heads (meditation). What we find there may surprise some as it contains the voices and words of those who have influenced our upbringing/education. Not much of it is very flattering and some of t is downright destructive. But it is these thoughts that influence how we react to life. But in order to change our lives for the better we need to know what we have been creating our lives with all along.

At this point, we can begin to change the inner dialogue to something that will influence the outcomes of our lives. More on this later, if anybody is interested.

Whoa, you boys are a little deep for me. When I retired I made up my mind to limit my thinking to what's necessary to satisfy basic life requirements and maybe exercise it to play to odd game of scrabble. :lol::lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Whoa, you boys are a little deep for me. When I retired I made up my mind to limit my thinking to what's necessary to satisfy basic life requirements and maybe exercise it to play to odd game of scrabble. :lol::lol:
The mind is too wonderful a thing to waste.
The waste is a thing to mind.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
One can see that most of us are not concerned with this fantastic universe about us; we never even see the waving of the leaf in the wind; we never watch a blade of grass, touch it with our hand and know the quality of its being. Heck,I'm not trying to be poetic I'm just saying it is essential to have that deep feeling for life and not be caught in intellectual ramifications, discussions, passing examinations, quoting, and brushing something new aside by saying it has already been said.I truly don,t think intellect is the way. Intellect will not solve our problems; the intellect will not give us that"nourishment which is imperishable". The intellect can reason, discuss, analyse, come to a conclusion from inferences and so on, but intellect is limited, for intellect is the result of our conditioning. But sensitivity is not. Sensitivity has no conditioning; it takes you right out of the field of fears and anxieties. I am truly convinced that the mind that is not sensitive to everything about it—to the mountains, the telegraph pole, the lamp, the voice, the smile,baby's cry, everything— that mind is incapable of finding what is true.
Nonsense. We have a few tools with which we can solve problems: intuition, intellect, experience, judgement, etc. Sometimes one tool is enough, sometimes a combination of tools does the trick.