Something To Consider...

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Washington, DC, Metro Station, on a cold January morning in 2007. The man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time approximately 2 thousand people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After 3 minutes, a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds, and then hurried to meet his schedule.......[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 minutes later:
The violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6 minutes:
A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10 minutes:
A 3-year-old boy stopped, but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]45 minutes:
The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money, but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 hour:
He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before, Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the Metro Station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities. The questions raised: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made.... How many other things are we missing?[/FONT]​

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Obviously I wasn't there. lol I may have went away for a brief period to find a chair. J S Bach is a favorite classical composer of mine.
Quite a bit of sensationalism in that little speech. Where'd you get it?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
China very seldom includes links to what he posts. Not sure if it's a matter of being too lazy, or a lack of intelligence.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Why did they have to set people up to 'fail', by putting him there at the busiest of
times, most people only have 'just' time to get to work without being late.
They are preoccupied by their schedule, know how much time they have to make
the train/ bus, and are not paying their full attention to the musician or anything
else for that matter.
Had they done this at 11:00 a.m. the outcome could have been much different.
I wonder how many people thought to themselves "I'd love to listen to this fellow,
he is very good, but I don't have time."

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, it's hardly a clinical trial done by psychologists or sociologists, but people are kinda blind when they have stuff on their minds. *looks to see which thread I am in*. :D

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Something To Consider... [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Washington, DC, Metro Station, on a cold January morning in 2007. The man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time approximately 2 thousand people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After 3 minutes, a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds, and then hurried to meet his schedule.......[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 minutes later:[/FONT].
AnnaG

I knew that. I googled it, too. I also checked on Snopes to see if it was a hoax.
I was just wondering if China wanted to pursue the plagiarism.

China very seldom includes links to what he posts.
Not sure if it's a matter of being too lazy, or a lack of intelligence.
Could not resist your 2 posts gerryh & AnnaG ,they are both wrong which doesn't say much about your own intelligence or whatever it is you got.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
AnnaG

I knew that. I googled it, too. I also checked on Snopes to see if it was a hoax.
I was just wondering if China wanted to pursue the plagiarism.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well, then genius, where did you steal it from?

He probably got it from an email that has been circulating for sometime now. This was mentioned in the search that you did. I posted the original article.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Oh yes....and since he is now saying that you and I are both "wrong", I would say that that points to my second contention rather than my first.