Wedn't live in the present .

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
"We don't live in the present; we are using the present as a passage to the future. Because I am going to become something, there is never a complete understanding of myself, and to understand myself, what I am exactly now, does not require the cultivation of memory. On the contrary, memory is a hindrance to the understanding of what is.
Your pointy of view .

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Very difficult to be in the present when we live in a society that lives in the future, always waiting for the next acquisition, next pay cheque, after life, etc. Who has time for today? Most relationships, conversations, wants are superficial at best. We are becoming more and more two dimensional, devolving, disconnected from the natural world, living more and more in a virtual reality, a commercial.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
One doesn't need memory to know what is, just what was, then it can assist you in doing what you're doing now, by remembering how to do it.
Yes we are always
living in the future, even if it is only a second away, we have no choice, time
stays still for no one.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
What is a "Wedn't"?

.........all these wonderful things to ponder...........:study:(weed wacker)
(weedundant)
(wedn't smoke marywanna in muskogee)
(wesh'd go back to skool)

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Nhugglerr ,

What is a "Wedn't"?

That's me ; not paying attention to my typing ......("We don't"..... )

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
One doesn't need memory to know what is, just what was, then it can assist you in doing what you're doing now, by remembering how to do it.
Yes we are always living in the future, even if it is only a second away, we have no choice, time stays still for no one.
Another words what you are saying is that we are not conscious of our actions ;after all the future is the un-known ( trust me , it isn't ). Is that what you mean?
Or ,with the help of our memory we repeat what have done yesterday( the past) .Which one is it .Oh yeah , what do we do in a present?

Last edited:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If you are not capabe of posting a thread without Grade 1 Elementary School mistakes, stay off from discussion with adults, lest you will be judged - deservedly - as a pretend-adult whose understanding of the world, including past, present and future, is equivalent to his Grade 1 Grammar.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
YukonJack

as a pretend-adult whose understanding of the world, including past, present and future, is equivalent to his Grade 1 Grammar.
Well .......Jack.I have finished grade 10 in High School ,successfully I must say .....Jack .
PS. Hows the Yukon,.....Jack ?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
YukonJack
as a pretend-adult whose understanding of the world, including past, present and future, is equivalent to his Grade 1 Grammar.
In my first year of school I did not speak English though I was fluent in Polish and Russian . Now at the age of 58 I speak 2 more languages ,English and Mandarin Chinese........Jack .
And now ...Jack what is your definition of the world; forget the past and/or the future ,you don,t want to participate in the topic of the thread , obviously that's too difficult for your reasoning .Do you know anything about your country? Do you know anything about the
world ............you st..id Jack .

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Cliffy ,
talloola
ok ,what is time ?
....is time a hindrance to the understanding of what is ?

Time is the distance from our birth to our death, and doesn't stay still, we
are always thinking, and cannot think in the moment, as it is instantly gone,
so the future is constantly upon us, all through our life.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
:roll: My "pointy" (thought I was the only one to use that word :D )of view is that I live in the present with an eye to the future sometimes. Sometimes I can just sit and watch something like a squirrel or some critter doing its thing and not even think for periods of time. I can veg-out watching campfires or water, too. In those periods, there is no future or past. And it is impossible to live in the past or the future anyway, unless one has a time machine. And even then, as soon as you go back or forward in time, you end up living in that time as the present.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
AnnaG ,
Sometimes I can just sit and watch something like a squirrel or some critter doing its thing and not even think for periods of time. I can veg-out watching campfires or water, too. In those periods, there is no future or past.

I do not know if you have noticed that there is understanding when the mind is very quiet, even for a second; there is the flash of understanding when there is no verbalization of thought. Just experiment with it and you will see for yourself that you have the flash of understanding, that extraordinary rapidity of insight, when the mind is very still, when thought is absent, when the mind is not burdened with its own noise. So, the understanding of anything—of your children, of your husband of your 'Polish' neighbors, or the understanding of truth which is in all things—can only come when the mind is very still. But such stillness can not be cultivated because if you cultivate a still mind, it is not a still mind, it is a dead mind.

o PS
:roll: My "pointy" (thought I was the only one to use that word :iconbiggrin: )
The letters T&Y are beside each other . I have fat...y fingers >

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Cliffy ,
Quote: Who has time for today?
talloola
Quote: time stays still for no one.
ok ,what is time ?

Thought is time. Thought is born of experience and knowledge which are inseparable from time and the past. Time is the psychological enemy of man. Our action is based on knowledge and therefore time, so man is always a slave to the past. Thought is ever-limited and so we live in constant conflict and struggle. There is no psychological evolution. When you become aware of the movement of your own thoughts you will see the division between the thinker and the thought, the observer and the observed . You will also discover that this division is an illusion. Then only is there pure observation which is insight without past or of time. This timeless insight brings about radical mutation in the mind. When there is negation of all those things that thought has brought about psychologically, only then is there love, which is compassion and intelligence.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
AnnaG ,

I do not know if you have noticed that there is understanding when the mind is very quiet, even for a second; there is the flash of understanding when there is no verbalization of thought. Just experiment with it and you will see for yourself that you have the flash of understanding, that extraordinary rapidity of insight, when the mind is very still, when thought is absent, when the mind is not burdened with its own noise. So, the understanding of anything—of your children, of your husband of your 'Polish' neighbors, or the understanding of truth which is in all things—can only come when the mind is very still. But such stillness can not be cultivated because if you cultivate a still mind, it is not a still mind, it is a dead mind.
Perhaps it may be dead, but it revives. I don't understand anything when I veg-out like that. I simply become the epitome of calmness. No activity at all; well, except for breathing, blinking, and other autonomic functions. Les does the same thing. Yet if he becomes like that and I say something his attentiveness returns instantly as does mine. After the vegging-out is when I see things clearly, though. But either way, I am still only living in the present.

o PS
The letters T&Y are beside each other . I have fat...y fingers >
lol I thought so.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Thought is time. Thought is born of experience and knowledge which are inseparable from time and the past. Time is the psychological enemy of man. Our action is based on knowledge and therefore time, so man is always a slave to the past. Thought is ever-limited and so we live in constant conflict and struggle. There is no psychological evolution. When you become aware of the movement of your own thoughts you will see the division between the thinker and the thought, the observer and the observed . You will also discover that this division is an illusion. Then only is there pure observation which is insight without past or of time. This timeless insight brings about radical mutation in the mind. When there is negation of all those things that thought has brought about psychologically, only then is there love, which is compassion and intelligence.
huh?
Thought takes time but they are not the same. That's like saying the suitcase is the same as travel; related but not the same.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
AnnaG,

huh?
Thought takes time but they are not the same. That's like saying the suitcase is the same as travel; related but not the same.
Thought is a movement in time and space. Thought is memory, the remembrance of past things. Thought is the activity of knowledge, knowledge which has been gathered together through millions of years and stored as memory in the brain. If you observe the activity of your thinking Anna ,you will see that experience and knowledge are the basis of your life. knowledge is never complete, it must always go together with ignorance. We think knowledge is going to solve all our problems, whether the knowledge of the priest, the guru, the scientist, the philosopher, or the latest psychiatrist. But we have never questioned whether knowledge in itself can solve any of our problems - except perhaps technological problems.
Knowledge comes through time. To learn a language you need time. To learn a skill or to drive a car efficiently takes time. The same movement of time is brought over to the psychological field; there too we say, 'I must have time to learn about myself.' 'I must have time in order to change myself from 'what I am' to 'what I should be.' Bringing over the activity of the external world into the psychological world means that time is a great factor in our life - tomorrow, the past and the present. Time is thought. Time is required in the acquisition of knowledge through experience, both externally in the world and inwardly. That is the way we have been programmed.
Being so programmed we consider time is necessary to bring about a deep, fundamental change in the human structure. We employ time as thought - 'I am this, I shall be that.' You would also say in the technical world: 'I do not know how to construct a computer but I will learn., Time, knowledge, memory, thought, they are a single unit; they are not separate activities but a single movement, Anna .