Eucation

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
I think that the function of education is to help you from childhood not to imitate anybody, but be yourself all the time.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I think that the function of education is to help you from childhood not to imitate anybody, but be yourself all the time.

Um.... we (people) don't generally speaking intentionally imitate each other... what you see is normal behaviour... what you're talking about is a survival technique only taught at some specific "special" schools. Not all schools teach kids to "act normal" because, for the most part, it isn't required, people generally act normal (the "same") without any prompting whatsoever.

Last edited:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
But teasing aside:

Education is a confinement technology in that it seeks to homogenize not liberate. This technology goes back to the Romans and their idea of the "good citizen;" but prior to that, I would agree that education was a means to liberation. Today education provides opportunity to means but does not provide freedom and liberty which is the dominion of the working class, and I suspect always will be. Intellectual freedom has always been too dangerous and so is confined within the dogma of the scholastic class. Universities were invented with the goal of controlling and even destroying the philosopher and free thinker. By my reckoning it has been a fabulously successful technology.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Scott Free

Universities were invented with the goal of controlling and even destroying the philosopher and free thinker.
The first universities ( Plato , Aristotle ...) were setup for the simple reason which is the topic of this thread .."Know Yourself " ; obviously that is beyond you .

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
We listen with hope and fear; we seek the light of another but are not alertly passive to be able to understand. If the liberated seems to fulfill our desires we accept him; if not, we continue our search for the one who will; what most of us desire is gratification at different levels. What is important is not how to recognize one who is liberated but how to understand yourself. No authority here or hereafter can give you knowledge of yourself; without self-knowledge there is no liberation from ignorance, from sorrow.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The first universities ( Plato , Aristotle ...) were setup for the simple reason which is the topic of this thread .."Know Yourself " ; obviously that is beyond you .

Actually those were schools. The very first schools were in Sumeria.

And indeed Plato was opposed to the Sophists and sought to oppose their teachings on rhetoric and so we see the first example of education being used as a confinement technology, however, it wasn't so intended. The first intentional use of education for confinement was Rome prior to that it was intended to liberate.

BTW, I know myself quite well thank you.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Today's schools are, for the most part, intended to produce mindless consumer and worker drones. Most of our "education" comes from TV and commercials. Reading and writing are quickly becoming a lost art as people who can read consume mass production equivalent of Harlequin Romance novels. Freedom of thought is not a trait the establishment wants in their working class and there appears to be an intentional erasure of the middle class, as they tend to think too much for the establishment's own good.
It's unfortunate, but the dumbing down of society is regressing according to plan

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Today's schools are, for the most part, intended to produce mindless consumer and worker drones. Most of our "education" comes from TV and commercials. Reading and writing are quickly becoming a lost art as people who can read consume mass production equivalent of Harlequin Romance novels. Freedom of thought is not a trait the establishment wants in their working class and there appears to be an intentional erasure of the middle class, as they tend to think too much for the establishment's own good.
It's unfortunate, but the dumbing down of society is regressing according to plan

I guess the education system can't be a total failure as long as there are a few of us around to see through all the bull****.... (much to the chagrin of the likes of Messrs. Harper and Campbell).