Fredom is a trap .

china
A man who is imprisoned in a jail needs to be free, doesn't he? He is trapped in the jail and he knows that the people outside are free. You are all in prison and you have heard about outside from your parents, priests, teachers and preachers. 'Come to us,' they say, 'and we will give you freedom. Come to me and I will give you rest.' That is the promise, but this is only another trap. Once you believe it, you are caught in the trap of wanting freedom. You should be out of both these traps neither in bondage nor in freedom because these are only concepts. Bondage was a concept which gave rise to the concept of freedom. Get rid of both these concepts. Then, where are you?

Impetus
Interesting thought.
I don't think it's an either/or type of thing.
They're two ends of a "conceptual" scale, really.
For total freedom, we have to give up some things that are dear to us so we compromise and accept some degrees of bondage.

Relationships with others, be they spouses, family, employers, or whoever require varying shades between bondage and freedom. The employer seems to have the freedom of someone else doing the work, but is in the bondage of making payroll each week.
You love someone, so you give up the freedom to sleep with whoever else excites you.
You buy a house to have the freedom to do what you want, but you have a mortgage (mort=death Gage = grip, or hold) to be slave to.

You get the idea....so where am I? Some shade of grey....

Now in the dungeon, it's a whole other ballgame...

Muz

Quote: Originally Posted by chinaView Post

A man who is imprisoned in a jail needs to be free, doesn't he? He is trapped in the jail and he knows that the people outside are free. You are all in prison and you have heard about outside from your parents, priests, teachers and preachers. 'Come to us,' they say, 'and we will give you freedom. Come to me and I will give you rest.' That is the promise, but this is only another trap. Once you believe it, you are caught in the trap of wanting freedom. You should be out of both these traps neither in bondage nor in freedom because these are only concepts. Bondage was a concept which gave rise to the concept of freedom. Get rid of both these concepts. Then, where are you?

Unforgiven
Come to want nothing and you have found freedom. But then what?

no color

Where are we? We'd be in a similar situation as you are in, forced to join a Communist Party against my will.

china
no color
Quote:

Where are we? We'd be in a similar situation as you are in, forced to join a Communist Party against my will.

Tell me what situation am I in
Last edited by china; Jul 15th, 2007 at 07:25 AM..

Curiosity
China

When you write of freedom you give the analogy of physical imprisonment and its many variations of what we call freedom or the loss of same in degrees.

I rather see freedom of the mind as the only true freedom - because of our very nature of survival in our world, we must make necessary commitments and agree to responsibilities much as Impetus as written in his earlier post. Because of these issues, we do lose some of our freedoms in order to attain living or experiencing life.

Physical 'freedom' is an impossible goal - freedom of the mind can be attained under even the most harsh circumstances.

Dreadful Nonsense

no color

Tell me what situation am I in

Seeing that flag of yours i thought the same thing and no color posted my thoughts.....
Mother Theresa said this, of course it's all relative to her being.
"If you want to be free, give up any fear of having nothing. Truly not worry about being homeless."

When i saw her say this i went "YES!!!" Sandy did not approve...

The only freedom i want comes in the form of Accomplishing The Great Work of The Holy Alchemists...

BitWhys
Freedom isn't only a concept. Its a state of being.

MikeyDB
Can freedom mean different things to different people?

Is there a definition of freedom that we can get 99% agreement on?

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDBView Post

Can freedom mean different things to different people?

Is there a definition of freedom that we can get 99% agreement on?

point taken