Being Intellectual

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Most of us have developed intellectual capacities - so-called intellectual capacities, which are not really intellectual capacities at all - we read so many books, filled with what other people have said, their many theories and ideas. We think we are very intellectual if we can quote innumerable books by innumerable authors, if we have read many different varieties of books, and have the capacity to correlate and to explain. But none of us, or very few, have original, intellectual conception. Having cultivated the intellect - so-called - every other capacity, every other feeling, has been lost and we have the problem of how to bring about a balance in our lives so as to have not only the highest intellectual capacity and be able to reason objectively, to see things exactly as they are - not to endlessly to offer opinions about theories and codes, but to think for ourselves, to see for ourselves very closely the false and the true. And this, it seems to me, is one of our difficulties: the incapacity to see, not only outward things, but also such inward life that one has, if one has any at all.
Your "intellectual" thought please .

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Well I'd love to respond with my "intellectual" response but now I'm scared it might not be mine at all but somebodies elses.....Wait, maybe that response isn't mine either....oh my gawd...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
China - there you go again ! lol

Intellect is a measurement of the power of reason and knowledge but often encumbers those in the high echelon of intellect from living in our real world.

For some who deal in abstract thought and new concept unheard of in our world are truly the explorers of horizons beyond our ability to comprehend.... but let them try working a simple conversation - especially one which has no lasting meaning but is friendly and light and non-commital.... they fumble badly.

I guess what I am trying to say... some gifts are pretty weighty..... average is good.

While I would feel truly grateful to sit in a group in which Steven Hawking was sharing some of his most valued profundities - I would be bored to death and probably hoping someone would pass the popcorn...:cool:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
SwitSof ,
Is there a difference between the intellectuality and the intelligence?Look at the "modern education", it develops the intellect, offers more and more theories and facts, without bringing about the understanding of the total process of human existence. We are highly intellectual; we have developed cunning minds, and are caught up in explanations. The intellect is satisfied with theories and explanations, but intelligence is not; and for the understanding of the total process of existence, there must be an integration of the mind and heart in action. Intelligence is not separate from love. For most of us, to accomplish this inward revolution is extremely arduous. We know how to meditate, how to play the piano, how to write, but we have no knowledge of the meditator, the player, the writer. We are not creators, for we have filled our hearts and minds with knowledge, information and arrogance; we are full of quotations from what others have thought or said. But experiencing comes first, not the way of experiencing. There must be love before there can be the expression of love

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
And China....the first move towards the goal..... know thyself for gifts and limitations and recognize capacity of intelligence....in acceptance and desire to express freely and use for society/civilization ....the rest will follow. It is called living.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
gopher,

I'm partly learning disabled but have a college degree and a law degree -- was an honor student, too!_________________________________________________

Dear gopher, I'm completely Polish , moved to Canada at the age of13 ,quit school in grade 10 ,traveled the world over,live in China for past 5ys ,got an award from the government of PRC for my contribution to the agriculture of the province of Shandong , and most of all I,m a happy 56 ys old man.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Curiosity,

iosity

And China....the first move towards the goal..... know thyself for gifts and limitations and recognize capacity of intelligence....in acceptance and desire to express freely and use for society/civilization ....the rest will follow. It is called living.

Thanks for your post- it's 2300h -need sleep-that's living.
Will respond tomorrow .China

Last edited:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Oh, the delightful irony.

I once met a man, who said it was his biggest dream to become the prime minister. Then when he takes the stand and somebody claims he is incompetent or not doing enough or all the things they normally say, he wanted to stick out his tongue and go pfffttttt! Just like we used to do as a kid, for a comeback.

That's intelligence.

SwitSof

Electoral Member
SwitSof ,
Is there a difference between the intellectuality and the intelligence?Look at the "modern education", it develops the intellect, offers more and more theories and facts, without bringing about the understanding of the total process of human existence.
Hmm, but can anybody truly understand the whole process of human existence. It's quite difficult for heaps of people to understand him/herself even!

There must be love before there can be the expression of love
I like that sentence, and again it's true as well.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Hmm, but can anybody truly understand the whole process of human existence. It's quite difficult for heaps of people to understand him/herself even!

Start with yourself.If you truly understand your self (not the image that you have created ), then you will know the "whole process of human existence" ,everyone and all.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Does everyone need to?

Start with yourself.If you truly understand your self (not the image that you have created ), then you will know the "whole process of human existence" ,everyone and all.