An Anonymous Crowd

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Humanity is experiencing a new loneliness; it is not in the face of a hostile nature which it has taken centuries to subdue, but in an anonymous crowd which surrounds men and women and in which they feel themselves to be strangers. Urbanization, undoubtedly an irreversible stage in the development of human societies, confronts humanity with difficult problems. How are men and women to master its growth, regulate its organization, and successfully accomplish its animation for the good of all?

Pope Paul VI, 1971

tanakar

Nominee Member
Feb 14, 2007
Ontario
Humanity is experiencing a new loneliness; it is not in the face of a hostile nature which it has taken centuries to subdue, but in an anonymous crowd which surrounds men and women and in which they feel themselves to be strangers. Urbanization, undoubtedly an irreversible stage in the development of human societies, confronts humanity with difficult problems. How are men and women to master its growth, regulate its organization, and successfully accomplish its animation for the good of all?

Pope Paul VI, 1971
This is a pretty wise bit of observation..

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
There are too many of us. And we've cleverly put together systems of law to make it difficult to diminish our numbers. Something in us longs for other days. Forest, stream, blue sky. Something primitive, simple and satisfying. The same territorial influences that direct all other creatures but lie suppressed in us are part of our personal havoc. We think we're different. We're not.

Reactions: AmberEyes

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Whenever I think of overcrowding I think of the recent movie "Crash." If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.. unless you cry easily, then maybe it's a bad idea. Basically it touches on the idea that because we're in such close proximity to each other in cities, we hide ourselves.. we don't say hello, we don't smile, we just hunch our shoulders and walk along the grey streets like everybody else.. and so we crash into one another, not just in the literal sense, but figuratively as well.. we force ourselves into trouble just to feel again.

I can't stand cities. I have such a fear of crowds.. I have to stay in the less populated areas just to stay calm.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I love a big city to visit and spend a few days but I am alway happy to get back home (a town of approx. 18,000) between Montreal and Quebec. I wouldn't mind spending the winter in Montreal but when summer comes give me my wide open space.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I love a big city to visit and spend a few days but I am alway happy to get back home (a town of approx. 18,000) between Montreal and Quebec. I wouldn't mind spending the winter in Montreal but when summer comes give me my wide open space.

I am a 100% city boy. I love cities and dislike small towns. I am opposite, small towns are nice to visit...but I could not live in one. Give me concrete all the time. I see wild forests and wonder why they don't cut down the tress and put up a mall:)

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I am a 100% city boy. I love cities and dislike small towns. I am opposite, small towns are nice to visit...but I could not live in one. Give me concrete all the time. I see wild forests and wonder why they don't cut down the tress and put up a mall:)

LOL I live in the burbs! But I was brought up country. hmmmmm think theres a corralation in our belief systems Padre?

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island

Probably because it'd rid of our oxygen supply... that wouldn't be very good -_- I like to breathe most of the time ^.^

I have a feeling I'll have to learn to love the city life.. I'll be going to university soon, and the school I'll be at (hopefully) is in the middle of Vancouver... way too big for me, but I'll cope I'm sure.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Probably because it'd rid of our oxygen supply... that wouldn't be very good -_- I like to breathe most of the time ^.^

I have a feeling I'll have to learn to love the city life.. I'll be going to university soon, and the school I'll be at (hopefully) is in the middle of Vancouver... way too big for me, but I'll cope I'm sure.

Trees are fine, as long as they are in neat little rows as designed by people..growing wild and free-very bad:)

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
Trees are fine, as long as they are in neat little rows as designed by people..growing wild and free-very bad:)

Aww, I like the wildness of the forests. Anything too trim and tidy reminds me of how uptight people can be about their perfect little gardens. Gimme weeds and bugs to keep the pests away! No chemicals for me...

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia

Come to Richmond lil one the univercity is 10 mins away from forest and river ;)

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Aww, I like the wildness of the forests. Anything too trim and tidy reminds me of how uptight people can be about their perfect little gardens. Gimme weeds and bugs to keep the pests away! No chemicals for me...

not me, and that is why I know I'm a city boy...I am suspicious of "organic" hah hah hah

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
not me, and that is why I know I'm a city boy...I am suspicious of "organic" hah hah hah

lol! Well, organic stuff doesn't make me as sick as the normal cheap stuff.. that's why I try to grow a lot of my own veggies. I can't imagine living in a city with little room to grow anything... my green thumb wouldn't get any practice :(

I don't necessarily hate cities.. just the amount of people. I love some of the architecture found in the bigger cities, it's amazing how we can build towers so tall that can withstand heavy winds and earthquakes. But I don't like the increased crime, I don't like the closness of everybody.. I panic and break down.. it's not a pretty site. I'm sure I'd like cities just fine if I weren't so afraid of crowds.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
lol! Well, organic stuff doesn't make me as sick as the normal cheap stuff.. that's why I try to grow a lot of my own veggies. I can't imagine living in a city with little room to grow anything... my green thumb wouldn't get any practice :(

I don't necessarily hate cities.. just the amount of people. I love some of the architecture found in the bigger cities, it's amazing how we can build towers so tall that can withstand heavy winds and earthquakes. But I don't like the increased crime, I don't like the closness of everybody.. I panic and break down.. it's not a pretty site. I'm sure I'd like cities just fine if I weren't so afraid of crowds.

Panics atrnt very fun :( Ask an old pro. But thats why I chose the burbs its a middle ground :) (I panic at the grocers)

canadarocks

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2006

Pope Paul VI, 1971

There is a great deal of wisdom in these words from this former Pope. We are in such denial of our humanity in cities. We live together as strangers, and the lonliness is, I think, causing some of the odd behaviour we see in people nowadays.