Pregnant woman downing drinks. What would you do?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I think this video raises an interesting moral dilemma related to abortion.

In some states, a habitual drinker can be forced into rehab. But here's the question: does human life begin at conception or at birth? If human life starts at birth, then just as a pregnant woman should be allowed to have an abortion, she should be free to drink to her heart's content too since the fetus enjoys no human right until it is born.

If human life begins at conception, then yes, a judge should be allowed to force a pregnant habitual drinker into rehab, but can then prevent a woman from having an abortion too.

in short, how can one support the right of a woman to choose when it comes to abortion, but not when it comes to drinking while pregnant? Intellectual honesty and consistency requires one or the other: either the fetus has rights, or it doesn't.

So if you are a proponent of abortion, how would you react if you were in the video, and according to what logic?

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

In some states, a habitual drinker can be forced into rehab. But here's the question: does human life begin at conception or at birth? If human life starts at birth, then just as a pregnant woman should be allowed to have an abortion, she should be free to drink to her heart's content too since the fetus enjoys no human right until it is born.

If human life begins at conception, then yes, a judge should be allowed to force a pregnant habitual drinker into rehab, but can then prevent a woman from having an abortion too.

in short, how can one support the right of a woman to choose when it comes to abortion, but not when it comes to drinking while pregnant? Intellectual honesty and consistency requires one or the other: either the fetus has rights, or it doesn't.

So if you are a proponent of abortion, how would you react if you were in the video, and according to what logic?

Can a mod come in and fix this idiots mistake, please.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Alcohol withdrawal is quite dangerous. So is the danger of FAS and I would think that getting a pregnant alcoholic to stop drinking for nine months is laden with issues and not as simple and straight forward as one would assume.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
I don't see the correlation between the two. I have no dilemma with this one at all. I believe a woman has the right to end a pregnancy up to 20 weeks (I would lower this to 8 weeks myself), but I would absolutely say something if I would see a women drinking alcohol or doing drugs when clearly pregnant. I have no issue reconciling this one. I would actually throw the bit$#h in prison to keep her clean. This is not 1920 when people did not know the effect of drugs/ alcohol.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't see the correlation between the two. I have no dilemma with this one at all. I believe a woman has the right to end a pregnancy up to 20 weeks (I would lower this to 8 weeks myself), but I would absolutely say something if I would see a women drinking alcohol or doing drugs when clearly pregnant. I have no issue reconciling this one. I would actually throw the bit$#h in prison to keep her clean. This is not 1920 when people did not know the effect of drugs/ alcohol.

But we know the effects of abortion on the fetus too. So what's the difference between harming the fetus through abortion and harming it through alcohol consumption? It would seem to me that if one is okay, so is the other. In fact, abortion would cause even more damage to the fetus than alcohol would in most cases.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

So you don't have a problem taking over control of someone else's body...good to know.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Abortion does not harm a fetus, abortion kills the fetus. Alcohol and drugs damages a fetus that could eventually damage a person.

A drunk or drugged pregnant women who's not planning on having an abortion!! No, I would not have any problem in putting the bi%$ch in jail until the baby is born.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Abortion does not harm a fetus, abortion kills the fetus. Alcohol and drugs damages a fetus that could eventually damage a person.

A drunk or drugged pregnant women who's not planning on having an abortion!! No, I would not have any problem in putting the bi%$ch in jail until the baby is born.

So let me get this straight. It's okay to kill the fetus but not harm it?

Logically, it's one or the other. Either the fetus has rights or it doesn't.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If human life starts at birth, then just as a pregnant woman should be allowed to have an abortion, she should be free to drink to her heart's content too since the fetus enjoys no human right until it is born.

This proposition presents a dichotomy: it is either all rights belong to the woman, or all power belongs to the state. This is not the only possible structure, and it is not the current law in the United States (you did mention "some states"). If you read Roe v. Wade, you will see that the Supreme Court recognized different levels of state interest and the woman's rights at different stages of a pregnancy some 44 years ago.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
But we know the effects of abortion on the fetus too. So what's the difference between harming the fetus through abortion and harming it through alcohol consumption? It would seem to me that if one is okay, so is the other. In fact, abortion would cause even more damage to the fetus than alcohol would in most cases.

The fetus is not harmed at all. It is removed. End of problem.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So let me get this straight. It's okay to kill the fetus but not harm it?

Logically, it's one or the other. Either the fetus has rights or it doesn't.

It can't have rights because it doesn't exist on its own. If a fetus had rights it would come at the expense of the host's rights.

How is it not harmed by being removed?

DO you need a biology lesson?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It can't have rights because it doesn't exist on its own. If a fetus had rights it would come at the expense of the host's rights.

DO you need a biology lesson?

So you support the freedom of a pregnant woman to drink then. That's fine. My hats off to your consistency at least, that the fetus does not enjoy human rights prior to birth.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So you support the freedom of a pregnant woman to drink then. That's fine. My hats off to your consistency at least, that the fetus does not enjoy human rights prior to birth.

A fetus is not human so it cannot enjoy human rights.
I didn't say the host has a right to drink or do drugs while pregnant. SHe has an obligation to society to do all she can to produce a healthy baby that will not become a burden on taxpayers.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So you support the freedom of a pregnant woman to drink then.
Absolutely! As soon as you limit someone else's freedom in any way you inherently limit your own. I choose freedom every time.
A fetus is not human so it cannot enjoy human rights.
I didn't say the host has a right to drink or do drugs while pregnant. SHe has an obligation to society to do all she can to produce a healthy baby that will not become a burden on taxpayers.
I'll say it....she has every right to drink or do drugs or bungee jump or whatever else she wants. If I want my freedom then I have to give her hers.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Absolutely! As soon as you limit someone else's freedom in any way you inherently limit your own. I choose freedom every time.

I'll say it....she has every right to drink or do drugs or bungee jump or whatever else she wants. If I want my freedom then I have to give her hers.

I don't agree with your position, but hats off for consistency.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Nope, you are trying to force him into your dichotomy. Dishonest and fairly stupid argument tactic.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

How will we know the mother is responsible and not her drunken husband who donated staggering spearm.