What's the rationale behind cultural appropriation?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I speak a language from France, one from England, one from China, and one from Poland.

I profess a religion from Iran and also believe in past religions from different lands too.

I used to cook vegan East Indian and now vegan cook Sichuan.

Does this make me an evil fascist swine pig cultural appropriator?

Am I still allowed to ride a bicycle or ski or snowshoe or kayak? What about the use of a computer?

How oh how shall I avoid the evils of cultural appropriation?

Should I go back to my 17th-century French roots to avoid this evil?

Yet even then they'd appropriated Latin words from the Romans already. Some Italians could take offence.

Maybe I could go back to France and live like an ancient Gaul?

Any ideas? I really wouldn't want to offend anyone by appropriating something of his.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I speak a language from France, one from England, one from China, and one from Poland.

I profess a religion from Iran and also believe in past religions from different lands too.

Yep.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'm going to start enlightening anyone wearing a kilt who can't prove they are Scot or Irish.:lol:

As far as the rationale............can't say as I see one. Now had you asked for a reason........I might say that it is simply someone with waaaaaaay too much time on their hands and little in their minds.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Am I still allowed to ride a bicycle or ski or snowshoe or kayak? What about the use of a computer?

Yet even then they'd appropriated Latin words from the Romans already. Some Italians could take offence.

Any ideas? I really wouldn't want to offend anyone by appropriating something of his.

As long as you are pro fossil fuels. Otherwise there is no skis, no kayak and no tires for the bike. Or roads to ride it on.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
This one night I got freaky. It was almost a year ago and I read the book "Zen of Archery" while listening to lynryd skynyrd. Don't tell a monk they might serve a white boy. Oh knows

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
They attempted to when they brought out the Barbie doll.

Yes I ve heard rumours of the Barbie dioll stuff. god Destroy TV. Evreryone should now be seeing the sprouting o0f thier next ctycle. Halayoui yah!

Yes there are no spelling mistakes. Any anomolous signals were EMP relatated, not to you locally, onlly the subscriberfs, I can't say no more my supervisor is neaer, save us""""

I am th middle, you will bow or be crushed into shape, our numeres indicate an .25 bettter return, yes or noe it'w onoluy flesh and bone
Iv
e goocoed the statas. As soon as I flip theynhave sixty seconds ro respond, face irt , I own North America sensd yhe rentn r elkase.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.

I think you take yourself way too serious,"evil facist swine pig cultural appropriator",things aren't going to good for you when using language to describe what ever you are feeling,
you must think of yourself as you really are,reading about your capabilities and abilities,I see an individual who present's as having a deep thinking capacity,great self discipline,intelligent,privledged,and a few other great things,ths including a fasinating heritage,don't sweat all that negative thinking,be proud and in your case,just be boastful,I hope your days go better for you.
i would love to discuss cooking chit chat,if you are up to it.

Yes I ve heard rumours of the Barbie dioll stuff. god Destroy TV. Evreryone should now be seeing the sprouting o0f thier next ctycle. Halayoui yah!

Yes there are no spelling mistakes. Any anomolous signals were EMP relatated, not to you locally, onlly the subscriberfs, I can't say no more my supervisor is neaer, save us""""

I am th middle, you will bow or be crushed into shape, our numeres indicate an .25 bettter return, yes or noe it'w onoluy flesh and bone
Iv
e goocoed the statas. As soon as I flip theynhave sixty seconds ro respond, face irt , I own North America sensd yhe rentn r elkase.
hello friend,been looking for you,welcome back.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm going to start enlightening anyone wearing a kilt who can't prove they are Scot or Irish.:lol:
What if they die their pubes red?
With bablefish you can speak any language. An app that let you spell your text message (in you native language) would eliminate the universal ban on texting while in control of moving

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
And I asked myself. Why TF do I need to know about cultural appropriation? The answer is, I don't.
But still, I opened the thread and god help me, I looked.

Last edited:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Yeah, I don't do cultural appropriation. By the same token, I don't give a sh*t about it either. Saw an interesting commercial for the Atlanta Braves the other night though. 4 Black dudes doing Native drumming and doing that tomahawk chop and chant thing. Now, is that offensive or is it cool they do that because Black people didn't conquer the Natives?
Like, if you as a "race" had absolutely no part in the subjugation of another "race", is it cool if you "appropriate" part of their culture? Like Natives performing hip hop for example?