The Meaning of Life.

Ludlow
+2
#1
How many times have I heard that question? What is the meaning of life?. As if anyone could possibly know. The religious person like the gurus that use to hang out at the city parks in the late sixties and early seventies, wearing their white gowns and having that long hair and beard. Hell they'd have to know lookin like that wouldn't they? Or how about those TV preachers telling you about your " Purpose Driven Life". That was a fine book it tells you all about the meaning of life. If you have the bucks to be able to buy the book then you can know too. The atheist or agnostic may believe there is meaning but not necessarily "A " meaning. Or purpose. Everything came about at random and any meaning to life is what we give it. I wonder how many of the old beatnicks back in the day wrote poems and stood up in the coffee house layin out there profound ideas. I'm a geezer now. Seen and heard most of the shyt all the gurus and philosophizers had to say about it. Only thing that comes to my noggin that makes any sense at all, is that the meaning of this life, is to love, and be loved back in return. Anything short of that seems to be pretty meaningless to me.
 
talloola
+2
#2
the meaning of life is simple, the luckiness and the priviledge to actually 'live', just like any other
organic substance alive on this earth, we're all lucky, so lets not F**k it up, do it right, respect
space you take up on this earth, and care for your earth, cause someday you'll be part of it again,
for as long as the earth shall live.

the actual meaning of life is an individual thought for one's own life, and nothing that anyone else
can dictate to you, especially the religious, who try to ram down our throats all the meanings 'they'
tell us 'it' is, but that only comes from their own story, so that is just for them.

there is a scientific explanation as to 'why' we are alive, and from there, we have the intelligence
to figure out how we want to live, what it means to us to be here, and live accordingly.

this earth formed itself a long time ago, and worked its way to a state that allowed life to form,
and from there we evolved, along with many many other lifeforms, animals, trees etc.

its interesting to be a human on this earth, with a brain that can decide many things for ourselves,
and those thoughts are the meaning of our life on earth, we are in control.

have a happy 2016
 
Frankiedoodle
#3
The answer to the meaning of life is 42
 
Ludlow
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by FrankiedoodleView Post

The answer to the meaning of life is 42

Yeah why not. 42,
 
gerryh
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Yeah why not. 42,


The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately, no one knows what the question is.

 
JLM
-1
#6
[QUOTE=Ludlow;2224841. Anything short of that seems to be pretty meaningless to me.[/QUOTE]

Which kind of leads to the futility of the notion that the end of this life is the end!
 
Cliffy
+4 / -1
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Which kind of leads to the futility of the notion that the end of this life is the end!

The body is just a vehicle. Vehicles deteriorate and stop functioning but the conscious energy that animated the vehicles is an infinite part of the Universe. In physics, no energy is lost or created, eternal.
 
selfsame
#8
When rain water comes down on a desolate land, it will cause the land to live with much vegetation and plant, and the animals will come: birds and others.

So in the same way: the spirit is the reason for the inanimate objects to be animate and living, in the same way as the water is the reason for the reviving of the land with the vegetation and animal life.

So the life in this world is for the purpose of the Next Life. The Next Life: the perpetual life in spirit or soul is the purpose from the living in this World.

The life of the World is temporary, and the Next Life is perpetual and everlasting.

Man after Death (external - login to view)

================================================== ========

The Next Life is better than the life of the World:
No diseases, no dirts, no toiling, no suffering.
More knowledge, more happiness.
No death anymore.
Praising and hymning the praises of God and living in prosperity.
friendliness, loving each others as brothers chatting and talking and drinking wines delicious.
Everything that they desire they will have in the neighborhood of God Most Merciful in the kingdom of heavens under the Throne of God.
Man after Death (external - login to view)
 
Nick Danger
+1
#9
I watched an episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer was laying in a hospital bed in a coma. In his mind he was talking to God. He asked God what the meaning of life was. God said "You find out when you die."
 
Angstrom
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

How many times have I heard that question? What is the meaning of life?. As if anyone could possibly know. The religious person like the gurus that use to hang out at the city parks in the late sixties and early seventies, wearing their white gowns and having that long hair and beard. Hell they'd have to know lookin like that wouldn't they? Or how about those TV preachers telling you about your " Purpose Driven Life". That was a fine book it tells you all about the meaning of life. If you have the bucks to be able to buy the book then you can know too. The atheist or agnostic may believe there is meaning but not necessarily "A " meaning. Or purpose. Everything came about at random and any meaning to life is what we give it. I wonder how many of the old beatnicks back in the day wrote poems and stood up in the coffee house layin out there profound ideas. I'm a geezer now. Seen and heard most of the shyt all the gurus and philosophizers had to say about it. Only thing that comes to my noggin that makes any sense at all, is that the meaning of this life, is to love, and be loved back in return. Anything short of that seems to be pretty meaningless to me.

It's simple. To continue life.
 
Danbones
+2
#11
to a healthy cell and a cancerous cell there are different meanings of life
experiencing those meanings IS life

of course breathing drinking eating screwing and pooping have their moments too
 
Mowich
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by selfsameView Post

The Next Life is better than the life of the World:
No diseases, no dirts, no toiling, no suffering.
More knowledge, more happiness.
No death anymore.
Praising and hymning the praises of God and living in prosperity.
friendliness, loving each others as brothers chatting and talking and drinking wines delicious.
Everything that they desire they will have in the neighborhood of God Most Merciful in the kingdom of heavens under the Throne of God.


 
Curious Cdn
+2
#13
The meaning if life (sing to the tune of Auld Lang Syne):

"We're here because we're here because we're here because we're here.
We're here because we're here because we're here because we're here because we're here!"
 
Cliffy
+4
#14
Life is a journey not a destination. Every single person who embarks on this journey is on a different journey from everybody else. What you make of your personal journey is what it is all about. Don't let anybody tell you how to take it.
 
Twila
+2
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

The body is just a vehicle. Vehicles deteriorate and stop functioning but the conscious energy that animated the vehicles is an infinite part of the Universe. In physics, no energy is lost or created, eternal.

You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.

And at one point you'd hope that the physicist would step down from the pulpit and walk to your brokenhearted spouse there in the pew and tell him that all the photons that ever bounced off your face, all the particles whose paths were interrupted by your smile, by the touch of your hair, hundreds of trillions of particles, have raced off like children, their ways forever changed by you. And as your widow rocks in the arms of a loving family, may the physicist let her know that all the photons that bounced from you were gathered in the particle detectors that are her eyes, that those photons created within her constellations of electromagnetically charged neurons whose energy will go on forever.

And the physicist will remind the congregation of how much of all our energy is given off as heat. There may be a few fanning themselves with their programs as he says it. And he will tell them that the warmth that flowed through you in life is still here, still part of all that we are, even as we who mourn continue the heat of our own lives.

And you'll want the physicist to explain to those who loved you that they need not have faith; indeed, they should not have faith. Let them know that they can measure, that scientists have measured precisely the conservation of energy and found it accurate, verifiable and consistent across space and time. You can hope your family will examine the evidence and satisfy themselves that the science is sound and that they'll be comforted to know your energy's still around. According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you're just less orderly. Amen.

Why You Want a Physicist to Speak at Your Funeral | Hopping Hadrian's Wall (external - login to view)
 
Cliffy
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.

Why You Want a Physicist to Speak at Your Funeral | Hopping Hadrian's Wall (external - login to view)

Brilliant.
 
Twila
+3
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Brilliant.

Isn't it beautiful? facts don't have to be scary, they can be just as beautiful and comforting as the lies we tell each other about death.
 
gerryh
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately, no one knows what the question is.


....
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#19
Whatever we believe about our deaths is probably what we should believe if it gives us comfort and solace. Whatever "reality" about death that you subscribe to, it is pointless and inappropriate to "enlighten" a dying person with them if the effect is anything less than providing comfort and promise. Perhaps that is the meaning of life, to do whatever it takes to help others.
 
talloola
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post



perfect, I am proud to contribute to new beautiful vegitation growing on this earth, and yes, that
is eternity, the earth is our mother, we will be with her till she decides to 'not' live
any more, we might end our own possibility to exist, but she will decide her fate.
 
gerryh
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

perfect, I am proud to contribute to new beautiful vegitation growing on this earth, and yes, that
is eternity, the earth is our mother, we will be with her till she decides to 'not' live
any more,
we might end our own possibility to exist, but she will decide her fate.


and "God" is a figment. Riiiiiiight....ok...... but the planet, basically a big rock floating in space, get's human qualities such as sexuality, and the ability to decide it's own fate. gotcha
 
talloola
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

and "God" is a figment. Riiiiiiight....ok...... but the planet, basically a big rock floating in space, get's human qualities such as sexuality, and the ability to decide it's own fate. gotcha

Riiiiiight !!!!!!!!!!

all living things have sexuality, the human race is just so arrogant they put themselves above
every other living thing, then add more nonsense as to how and why they are here, its comical.



happy new year, have a great 2016
 
gerryh
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

Riiiiiight !!!!!!!!!!

all living things have sexuality, the human race is just so arrogant they put themselves above
every other living thing, then add more nonsense as to how and why they are here, its comical.



ROFLMAO... nice try. You are giving a big rock, floating in space, a female gender and the ability to decide when it will or will not "die".
 
Tecumsehsbones
#24
The apparent meaning of life is to give a bunch of fools with far too much time on their hands and far too high an opinion of their own importance the opportunity to sit around and think in circles.
 
talloola
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

ROFLMAO... nice try. You are giving a big rock, floating in space, a female gender and the ability to decide when it will or will not "die".

lol. the expression 'mother earth' requires us to refer to her as she.

anyway, glad you do understand my description, so now I don't have to explain it to you again.

this thread is asking us to explain our position on 'the meaning of life', I did
that, now why don't you do yours, instead of groping around in mine.
 
damngrumpy
#26
The question what is the meaning of life is a trick question.
Once you subscribe to the question you have to think about
it and that takes precedence over all else. While you are
thinking about it and wondering you forget to do the natural
thing "Live Life"
The question is a distraction put in your way by those who
want to direct or guide you. Wouldn't want you to go round
thinking foryouself now would you
 
Ludlow
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

The question what is the meaning of life is a trick question.
Once you subscribe to the question you have to think about
it and that takes precedence over all else. While you are
thinking about it and wondering you forget to do the natural
thing "Live Life"
The question is a distraction put in your way by those who
want to direct or guide you. Wouldn't want you to go round
thinking foryouself now would you

I'd like to think there might some reason for all of this stuff. The positive and the negative, But honestly, I don't have a clue. The older I get, the less clue I have.
 
eh1eh
+2
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Nick DangerView Post

I watched an episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer was laying in a hospital bed in a coma. In his mind he was talking to God. He asked God what the meaning of life was. God said "You find out when you die."


To find out what it's like after you die just think back to how it was before you were born.
Since we are, according to religion, eternal beings we never die and were never born.
 
Angstrom
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

To find out what it's like after you die just think back to how it was before you were born.
Since we are, according to religion, eternal beings we never die and were never born.

Smarted thing I've read all year.... Up to date
 

Similar Threads

26
1
The Meaning of Prayer
by dr_lal | Feb 2nd, 2006
15
The Meaning of it all??
by Jo Canadian | Dec 26th, 2005
no new posts