Sri Lankan maid to be stoned to death in Saudi Arabia

tay
+4
In the coming days, a Sri Lankan woman is to be led to an outdoor pit in Saudi Arabia. Her arms and hands will be tightly bound, her body buried up to her breasts. Saudi men will then surround her and begin to hurl rocks at her head to kill her slowly.

A married housemaid, she was convicted of adultery, while the man, a bachelor, also a vulnerable Sri Lankan migrant worker, was given 100 lashes, as prescribed by Islamic law.

It is a measure of how violent Saudi Arabia’s capital punishment laws are that beheadings can at times seem compassionate.

Decapitation, after all, is nothing compared to lapidation. Beheading is quick; stoning, slow. It’s death by torture.

The housemaid’s panic must be unimaginable. What makes her punishment even more agonizing is that she all but surely did not receive a fair trial.

The legal cost to plead her case—10,000 riyal, or about $2,600—roughly amounts to the average yearly salary of a foreign worker in Saudi Arabia. It’s unlikely, therefore, that she had the money necessary to receive adequate legal guidance during her trial.

It’s also doubtful that she fully understood the Arabic language. Or Islamic law. Or the gravity of the sexual charges that were brought against her. It is not uncommon for underprivileged women from Asia and Africa to be victimized in Saudi Arabia’s religious legal
system.

Perhaps in the next few days only world outrage might save the housemaid. Not even her family knows about her death sentence.

So far the Obama administration has shown no interest in her case. Nor has any assistance come from the United Nations, where, in a grim irony, Saudi Arabia currently chairs a panel of the the U.N. Human Rights Council.

The stoning of this lowly, nameless housemaid will stand as a symbol of our world’s moral failing. Given the indifference of the Obama administration, the silence of the United Nations, and the cruelty of the Saudi Arabian theocracy, only pressure from the media might now help.

So far the world’s response has been shameful. And as a morality tale, we should recognize that our indifference to this woman says as much about ourselves as it does the brutality of Saudi Arabia’s legal system.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1250...praved-justice (external - login to view)

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
petros
+5
F-cking savages.

Ludlow
+2
Anyone that would do something like this to another human being needs to be exterminated. If this is Saudi law then Saudis should be eliminated.

CDNBear
+6
#4  Top Rated Post
If Flossy's has any integrity at all, he'll make a big fuss over your post and then add it to his sig.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

F-cking savages.

They aren't savages. They are our allies

Locutus
+2
When I find myself in times of trouble

Ellen Ripley comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

We are allied with the enemy. The problem isn't the Iranians, it's the Saudis.

Machjo
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

The problem is neither the Iranians nor the Soudis, but their respective governments.

Angstrom
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

The problem is neither the Iranians nor the Soudis, but their respective governments.

I'd still nuke the whole place just in case.

captain morgan
+3
Interesting that the UN has no input on this action.

Guess that it doesn't fall under their version of human rights

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

That's why people like Loc and Boomer are so funny. They're afraid of letting in a homeless Syrian when that's the least of our concerns.

MHz
Somebody ought to invade.

lone wolf

The problem is: They have oil

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

The problem is: They have oil

The problem is that the Government of Saudi Arabia is allowing zealots to practice Sharia Law for fear of being overthrown by said zealots.

Coming to a Western Culture near you.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvzIOi0Iid3QI

lone wolf
That's their law. Nobody has to like it. I don't ... and I don't live there either

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

That's their law. Nobody has to like it. I don't ... and I don't live there either

What do you think these zealots are trying to import here?

Why do you think some folks eyebrows go up when a serving MP supports Sharia Law?

Jinentonix
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Yep, and good ol' Trudope and the airhead from Alberta are making good and goddam sure we buy even MORE oil from them because apparently blood-free oil is evil but oil that supports a stone-aged blood cult is all good.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Why do you think some folks eyebrows go up when a serving MP supports Sharia Law?

Stockwell Day and Wai Young.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Your zealots aren't gong to have an easier time with a Constitutional challenge than the last guy who tried digging into it did - and it won't stop this poor woman from being stoned

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

Your zealots aren't gong to have an easier time with a Constitutional challenge than the last guy who tried digging into it did - and it won't stop this poor woman from being stoned

No, sadly, it won't, but I go back to your original point. That is their law, their way and I don't want it here. I have had this same conversation with a Muslim friend of mine and he doesn't want it either.

But it damn near found its way into Ontario because the McGuinty Government was so inept on the subject that they needed a female advocacy group to shame them into acting.

lone wolf
No ... my original point was they have oil - and money pigs turn many a blind eye to bad shyte that befalls people who don't matter in their own pursuit of profit

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2

No ... my original point was they have oil - and money pigs turn many a blind eye to bad shyte that befalls people who don't matter in their own pursuit of profit

I agree, I think wein the west should not buy anything from any Country that operates in this fashion. They should be isolated and cut off. This includes China. But our politicians including the present leader are a bunch of hypocrites.

VanIsle
I have two family members who have worked in Saudi Arabia. The eldest was in a fight with a Saudi and luckily escaped the country and never allowed back. The other, now in his 30's, was working there and went into a camera shop to see about his camera. He used his cell while in the shop which was connected to a Barber Shop with an open door between them. I guess the girl behind the counter answered her cell while he was using his. He went back again a couple days later into,a similar situation. The guy in the Barber Shop came flying into the Camera shop. She yelled at my nephew to run and the Barber knocked her down onto the floor. He wanted to help but she just kept telling him to run. He assumes that the Barber thought they were having personal calls between them but using the phones to cover it.

Johnnny
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

In the coming days, a Sri Lankan woman is to be led to an outdoor pit in Saudi Arabia. Her arms and hands will be tightly bound, her body buried up to her breasts. Saudi men will then surround her and begin to hurl rocks at her head to kill her slowly.

A married housemaid, she was convicted of adultery, while the man, a bachelor, also a vulnerable Sri Lankan migrant worker, was given 100 lashes, as prescribed by Islamic law.

It is a measure of how violent Saudi Arabia’s capital punishment laws are that beheadings can at times seem compassionate.

Decapitation, after all, is nothing compared to lapidation. Beheading is quick; stoning, slow. It’s death by torture.

The housemaid’s panic must be unimaginable. What makes her punishment even more agonizing is that she all but surely did not receive a fair trial.

The legal cost to plead her case—10,000 riyal, or about $2,600—roughly amounts to the average yearly salary of a foreign worker in Saudi Arabia. It’s unlikely, therefore, that she had the money necessary to receive adequate legal guidance during her trial.

It’s also doubtful that she fully understood the Arabic language. Or Islamic law. Or the gravity of the sexual charges that were brought against her. It is not uncommon for underprivileged women from Asia and Africa to be victimized in Saudi Arabia’s religious legal
system.

Perhaps in the next few days only world outrage might save the housemaid. Not even her family knows about her death sentence.

So far the Obama administration has shown no interest in her case. Nor has any assistance come from the United Nations, where, in a grim irony, Saudi Arabia currently chairs a panel of the the U.N. Human Rights Council.

The stoning of this lowly, nameless housemaid will stand as a symbol of our world’s moral failing. Given the indifference of the Obama administration, the silence of the United Nations, and the cruelty of the Saudi Arabian theocracy, only pressure from the media might now help.

So far the world’s response has been shameful. And as a morality tale, we should recognize that our indifference to this woman says as much about ourselves as it does the brutality of Saudi Arabia’s legal system.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1250...praved-justice (external - login to view)

Its hard to believe that these people were the ones that invented Algebra....... I guess when the Mongols swept through the middle east they did in fact leave everyone with an IQ less that 3 digits alive.

Curious Cdn

I wish that it was true. We are allied with an incompatible culture.

AnnaG
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Its hard to believe that these people were the ones that invented Algebra....... I guess when the Mongols swept through the middle east they did in fact leave everyone with an IQ less that 3 digits alive.

It was not that. It was that people get all googly-eyed when anyone mentions gods and claim to see visions and beprophets. Muhammad is the cause of the widespread pandemic of co-stupidity.