What makes murder wrong?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
To quote Clint Eastwood in the movie "Unforgiven', It's a hell of a thing killin a man. You take away all he has, and all he's ever going to have. Another form a thievery which to me pretty much defines almost everything immoral.

And what makes what you said morally wrong?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What makes murder morally wrong?
It is morally wrong because a murderer steals something from someone else. A murderer has no right of possession. Besides, it is against laws of nature. Evolution and accident and stuff like that should pick and choose what survives and what does not.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
AnnaG above in post#4 pretty much covered my answer.

Where does morality come from for something to be
morally wrong? That might be a better question. Is it
a purely cultural thing, or something much older and
ingrained?

Murder is not a positive thing for the species as a whole.
Until the last couple thousand years, there where not a
whole lot of us (people) to spare someone to something
as trivial as murder. Accidents, disease, & predation
would have kept us in check population wise.

We're now 7+billion people and growing currently, and
murder levels currently might reflect our population level,
in a too many rats in the maze sort'a thing.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Murder is relative. Many, the majority, will and do justify the killing of another human as being just hunky dory. Many who consider "murder" grievous, have no problem with the killing of an unborn child, or the killing of another adult human when they have broken some societal rule. Killing someone who has killed someone else. This seems to be one of the "exceptions". Never really could wrap my head around that one. How exactly it is "OK" to kill as punishment for killing.

Is that better Anna? So like I said originally...ROFLMFAO....Oh ya... murder is a horrible thing.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Murder is relative. Many, the majority, will and do justify the killing of another human as being just hunky dory. Many who consider "murder" grievous, have no problem with the killing of an unborn child, or the killing of another adult human when they have broken some societal rule. Killing someone who has killed someone else. This seems to be one of the "exceptions". Never really could wrap my head around that one. How exactly it is "OK" to kill as punishment for killing.

Is that better Anna? So like I said originally...ROFLMFAO....Oh ya... murder is a horrible thing.
Much better.

And to answer Ron's question, I think that morals are a cultural creation designed to keep people in a society civil with each other. Morals are the main basis for traditions.
There is loads of evidence for this. Ancient Celts and Picts, for instance, used to consider it moral to whack off enemies' heads and wear them on belts during battles. And people of New Guinea used to consider it moral to eat enemies. lol Some native Americans used to consider it moral to thief each others horses. etc etc

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Much better.

And to answer Ron's question, I think that morals are a cultural creation designed to keep people in a society civil with each other. Morals are the main basis for traditions.
There is loads of evidence for this. Ancient Celts and Picts, for instance, used to consider it moral to whack off enemies' heads and wear them on belts during battles. And people of New Guinea used to consider it moral to eat enemies. lol Some native Americans used to consider it moral to thief each others horses. etc etc

O.K. With few exceptions, most cultures by far (I'm assuming)
would consider pedophilia an abomination, or at least morally
unacceptable. The protection of our young ones (be they your
own children or the children of others) a morally paramount
thing. That reaction being called moral might be instinctive
and reinforced by cultural beliefs, or be the source of these
cultural beliefs.

I could be wrong though and my cultural beliefs are clouding
objectivity here. Maybe cultural beliefs override our instinctive
reactions to things like murder or pedophilia,etc....being wrong,
and that might explain the Celts & Picts you've mentioned above.

Maybe they're the aberrations (with their cultural beliefs) and
exceptions to the 'rule of thumb' of humans instinctively finding
behaviors like murder and pedophilia so offensive. I'm basing
this on nothing more than a gut feeling, so I can't post a LINK.
It just feels right, is all.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Duh!!!!!!!!!! You're taking something that doesn't belong to you?

It's in the philosophy forum.

Why is taking something that doesn't belong to you morally wrong?

In short, what determines the worthiness of human life? What determines the laws of right and wrong?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Simple....................how would you feel if it happened to you?

Not so simple. What makes it morally wrong for a person to kidnap then torture me for fun?

I believe it is wrong, but the question is what makes it wrong. What makes inflicting pain on another wrong?

Some would answer that it is a law if God, and just as science established physical kaws, sO God established spiritual laws.

Others might say it's because they don't enjoy torture. But what makes lack of enjoyment wrong?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not so simple. What makes it morally wrong for a person to kidnap then torture me for fun?

I believe it is wrong, but the question is what makes it wrong. What makes inflicting pain on another wrong?

Some would answer that it is a law if God, and just as science established physical kaws, sO God established spiritual laws.

Others might say it's because they don't enjoy torture. But what makes lack of enjoyment wrong?

Your first hint might be the Golden Rule..............."Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Semantics game. Have a few drinks at the bar and maybe another sot sitting by you will play.

Yeah, this thread has gone beyond being stupid!

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012