She should wear a burka in protest

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
This girl was sent home today from a high school in Kentucky because she was breaking dress code. Female students are not allowed to show their collar bone because it's distracting the male students.

Woodford County High School student produces documentary critical of school's dress code | Education | Kentucky.com

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It certainly wasn't her collar bones that distracted me. We are talking about the American south where Republicans are desperately trying to drag everybody back into the 19th century. I see by Wally's response, that is why he supports the Repubs.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Girls learn from an early age that their bodies are dangerous and not considered their own. It's a straight line from "distracting boys" to "deserves harassment" to "rape". This kind of dress code is how girls are socialized into being sex objects and blamed for their own oppression.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I agree with Corduroy. Everyone is conditioned or trained from very early ages and because of religion mostly, sex and our bodies are evil until marriage. Then you mix that with fashion and clothing designers' ideas of how women should look and the inabilities of parents to teach their kids respect for others and it is quite volatile.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It certainly wasn't her collar bones that distracted me. We are talking about the American south where Republicans are desperately trying to drag everybody back into the 19th century. I see by Wally's response, that is why he supports the Repubs.

Aren't you the guy who longs for the stoneage?

Girls learn from an early age that their bodies are dangerous and not considered their own. It's a straight line from "distracting boys" to "deserves harassment" to "rape". This kind of dress code is how girls are socialized into being sex objects and blamed for their own oppression.

Get rid of the gay men who design and market clothes. That is the problem.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
:roll:

Should have said, "get rid of men who design womens' fashion".

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Social norms now who decides what social norms are? What I am reading here is the
Born again crowd in the old south are every bit as religiously oppressed as the Muslims
you know the religion of peace. Here is America supposedly half way round the world
fighting to rid people of oppression and at home they are using moral codes and social
norms to enforce what they are fighting.
Ain't religion great when it interferes with and tries to enforce its own vision of social norms

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Social norms now who decides what social norms are? What I am reading here is the
Born again crowd in the old south are every bit as religiously oppressed as the Muslims
you know the religion of peace. Here is America supposedly half way round the world
fighting to rid people of oppression and at home they are using moral codes and social
norms to enforce what they are fighting.
Ain't religion great when it interferes with and tries to enforce its own vision of social norms

Religion eh.... I didn't read anything about it being a religious group pushing these restrictions. Seems to me that it's probably some **** retentive old fart (probably your age) pushing his/her own agenda.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
gerryh everything in the Bible belt of the deep south is based on religion.
They don't even go out and see their shadow before prayer.
I have not problem with people being religious more than half my family are.
In fact I was in Cape Breton last week being driven around half of them do
the sign of the cross passing a church still. Don't kid yourself these folks
dominate the political and social agenda of everything.
Where I take issue is when they attempt to apply religion to the secular
society at large. You want to be religious great you want to dress in sack cloth
and ashes even fine but don't try to manipulate others into the religious vision
of all.
I spent years going to mass and church events with family that is until the day
a magic birthday said I am old enough to say enough already. Do I think kids
should go to school half naked, of course not but this kid is not inappropriately
dressed, in mainstream society. I am not an atheist but I sure as hell avoid the
church crowd as much as i can.
Yes acceptable is subjective but the social police are going too far.
We expect nonsense like this in the Middle East and for ideological reasons in
place like China. North America in the mainstream has moved into the 21st
century. We live in a multi cultural and secular society its called democratic
freedom where individualism is given preference

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I guess female Woodford students must do PhysEd in a basement with no windows or else wearing potato sacks.
And we are speaking of a public school in KY. KY is in the Bible belt.