Push on to end 'Festival of cruelty'

tay
The annual event is purported to dispel evil ghosts, cure disease and even boost men's sexual performance.

The fight is on to stop an annual Chinese event which is expected to involve the slaughter of more than 10,000 dogs, some of whom are burned or boiled alive.

However gruesome it might seem to some, tradition is tradition. For the nearly 7 million people living in Yulin, practicing their ancestors' rituals is an important part of their culture.

This year, the festival begins June 22

more

Culture And Animal Rights Clash Over Yulin Dog Meat Festival (external - login to view)

tay
Two weeks before the 2016 dog meat festival in the southern Chinese city of Yulin, an international coalition of animal welfare advocates is stepping up pressure on the Chinese government to shut it down.

A petition with more than 11 million signatures was presented to the Chinese Embassy in London on Tuesday, according to Humane Society International, one of the organizations behind the campaign.

Representatives of the group, which is based in Washington, along with Chinese animal rights advocates, also delivered the petition on Friday to the Beijing office of the government of Yulin, where the Lychee and Dog Meat Festival has taken place on the summer solstice since 2010 amid mounting controversy. Copies of the petition were being sent by registered mail to Chinese health and food safety (external - login to view) regulators, according to Peter J. Li (external - login to view), a China (external - login to view) policy adviser to Humane Society International.

Thousands of dogs are slaughtered and served in restaurants in Yulin, in the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, for the festival, which is set to begin on June 21. Its proponents defend the practice as an expression of cultural heritage and argue that eating dogs is no different from eating cows or turkeys.

But images of dogs being beaten and gutted in Yulin marketplaces have ignited outrage around the world, as celebrities and politicians throw their support behind efforts to stop the festival. In China, where dogs are increasingly viewed as companions, not food, animal welfare advocates have raised questions about the sources of the dogs, charging that many are stolen pets.

video

www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/wo...-festival.html (external - login to view)

Blackleaf
I've got no problem with eating dogs, so long as they are killed humanely.

Poodle kebabs, bull terrier pie, sweet and sour greyhound.

Ludlow
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

I've got no problem with eating dogs, so long as they are killed humanely.

Poodle kebabs, bull terrier pie, sweet and sour greyhound.

Limey's will eat anything a turd isn't safe if a peanut is in it.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

Limey's will eat anything a turd isn't safe if a peanut is

Supermarkets have started selling goat meat. I fancy giving it a try.

lone wolf
It wasn't all that long ago I had to assure my daughter those skinned rabbits hanging at Knob Hill Farms weren't cats....

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Supermarkets have started selling goat meat. I fancy giving it a try.

Curried goat it quite good. It'a Paki/Jamaican staple.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

It wasn't all that long ago I had to assure my daughter those skinned rabbits hanging at Knob Hill Farms weren't cats....

You know you're a Redneck when ...

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Take a wild guess where Knob Hill Farms was....

Angstrom
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Two weeks before the 2016 dog meat festival in the southern Chinese city of Yulin, an international coalition of animal welfare advocates is stepping up pressure on the Chinese government to shut it down.

A petition with more than 11 million signatures was presented to the Chinese Embassy in London on Tuesday, according to Humane Society International, one of the organizations behind the campaign.

You and what army?

It's very irresponsible to submit such a petition.

Blackleaf
+1
#10  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Curried goat it quite good. It'a Paki/Jamaican staple.

The Muslims of Bolton eat curried goat. Walk around some neighbourhoods and you can hear goats neighing in their backyards. They're there to be put into curries. Of course, they're Muslims and are allowed to be cruel to animals and therefore don't get a visit from the RSPCA like I would if I kept a goat in my back garden to slaughter it for food.