Boy 7, vomited and died after ‘slapping therapy’

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
POLICE have launched an investigation into a Chinese healer after the death of a young diabetic boy who attended a “slapping therapy” workshop.

Aidan Fenton, 7, was getting treatment from the ­alternative Chinese medicine workshop at the Tasly Healthpac Centre in Hurstville when he died, the Daily Telegraph reported.

Police have spoken to a Chinese therapist Hongchi Xiao who ­advocates the use of slapping therapy — until ­patients are bruised — to cure ­illnesses and rid the body of poisons. The week- long therapy cost $1800.

Detectives are investigating whether Aidan was taken off his insulin before his death.

Mr Xiao, who hosted seminars at the workshop, left the country after being questioned by police.

It is believed Mr Xiao claimed participants in the seminar were asked to fast for three days and to undertake the slapping and stretching exercises that can prompt vomiting and dizzy spells, known as a “healing crisis”.
Aidan was among those vomiting during the seminar, the Daily Telegraph reported.

The newspaper said Aidan looked well during the ­seminar and had eaten rice but became ill on Monday evening after Mr Xiao had gone to dinner.

He was found unconscious about 9pm on Monday in his bed at the Hurstville Ritz Hotel, where the family had been staying with his parents, Geoff and Lily Fenton. Hotel staff rushed to help them after hearing screams coming from the room.

Aidan died on the way to hospital.

A line of inquiry for police is whether the “healer” ­advised the parents to take Aidan off ­insulin and encouraged alternative therapies to treat him, including massages and the slapping.

Detectives questioned Mr Xiao before he left the country and spent yesterday taking statements from witnesses.

A police spokeswoman told news.com.au this morning police were conducting inquiries on behalf of the Coroner and would not say if they were speaking to other seminar participants.

A post-mortem on the boy would need to be carried out to determine exactly what killed him.

Neighbours said the parents were too traumatised by Aidan’s death to speak about it. “All we can hear is them crying all the time ... They were such good parents, it is really hard to understand why it happened and how it happened.”

Another neighbour said Aidan was a “beautiful, really good boy”.

Mr Xiao had been in Sydney following a tour of New Zealand to promote his “Paida-Lajin” therapy, which involves slapping the body until it bruises to “unblock meridians and drive out poisons”.

He has written several books on Chinese medicine and travelled the globe spruiking his slapping therapy.

“The greater the pain and bruises while slapping means there is more poison inside the body,” he told a seminar in South Africa last year. “You can be your own doctor. We were all born with a self-­healing power but we simply ignore it and spend millions of dollars paying for medications. Nature heals, doctors are only assistants.”

However, he has been surrounded by controversy before.

In 2011, Taiwanese authorities deported Xiao and fined him $US1600 for violating medical regulations, while Chinese media reports say a liver cancer patient paid him $A40000 for treatment, only to die three months later.

Aidan’s death will be referred to the Coroner, who will determine whether there is any evidence of medical malpractice.

Aidan Fenton: Boy died after “slapping therapy” for diabetes

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
40% is the magic number for placebo effect. Which makes slapping a somewhat success 40% of the time.
so 40% of the time someone merely has to believe something will work and their body will cooperate and heal itself? 8O 40% for real?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
so 40% of the time someone merely has to believe something will work and their body will cooperate and heal itself? 8O 40% for real?
No, that's for "improvement" by some measures. It is not 40% cure. The 40% includes people who feel a decrease in pain after being administered a placebo. Don't mean the body has "healed itself."

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Is some instances gives the body the resources to heal. Stress from pain is horrid and like other stresses damages and inflammation related ailments start up. So the body and mind heal.

Stress kills.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Is some instances gives the body the resources to heal. Stress from pain is horrid and like other stresses damages and inflammation related ailments start up. So the body and mind heal.

Stress kills.
Well, I would be the first to encourage you to treat any and all future illnesss exclusivley with vinegar and treacle.

For that matter, as far as this board is concerned, I AM the first.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I do believe the body has the ability to heal itself or rather to correct itself in many instances. It needs help to do so though. A decent diet, exercise, alcohol in moderation. Other times however the body can get so out of sync that there is a chemical breakdown and it needs more help than just diet and excercise such as surgery or drugs or a combo.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I do believe the body has the ability to heal itself or rather to correct itself in many instances. It needs help to do so though. A decent diet, exercise, alcohol in moderation. Other times however the body can get so out of sync that there is a chemical breakdown and it needs more help than just diet and excercise such as surgery or drugs or a combo.
I do more than believe it, I know it.

It is obvious to anybody with sense enough to pound sand that proper diet, exercise, a satisfying balance of work/home/community/entertainment, and the best environment a person can contrive to live in will prevent or ameliorate a host of ills. It is equally obvious that they won't cure a broken leg, or cancer, or chronic diabetes.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I do more than believe it, I know it.

It is obvious to anybody with sense enough to pound sand that proper diet, exercise, a satisfying balance of work/home/community/entertainment, and the best environment a person can contrive to live in will prevent or ameliorate a host of ills. It is equally obvious that they won't cure a broken leg, or cancer, or chronic diabetes.
true

as for cancer, the older one gets cancer, the better the chances of survival...probably because the cells in the body do not reproduce as rapidly so the chemo has a chance to work better...I live in a building with a lot of seniors many if not most have survived some type of cancer by the time they get into their mid 70's and there several that have had numerous kinds of cancers some quite aggressive but yet have beat it.

diabetes is more easily controlled with a clean diet, exercise and a pump...way better prognosis than it used to have

broken bones heal better with a clean diet too

I also think the body is fairly forgiving for most right up until the mid 40's then you either have to get smart or watch as the deterioration begins and the pill popping starts so that one can control all of the conditions brought on by bodily abuse

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
true

as for cancer, the older one gets cancer, the better the chances of survival...probably because the cells in the body do not reproduce as rapidly so the chemo has a chance to work better...I live in a building with a lot of seniors many if not most have survived some type of cancer by the time they get into their mid 70's and there several that have had numerous kinds of cancers some quite aggressive but yet have beat it.

diabetes is more easily controlled with a clean diet, exercise and a pump...way better prognosis than it used to have

broken bones heal better with a clean diet too

I also think the body is fairly forgiving for most right up until the mid 40's then you either have to get smart or watch as the deterioration begins and the pill popping starts so that one can control all of the conditions brought on by bodily abuse

On the other hand, clean-living prigs are gonna feel pretty damn stupid when they're 90-something, lying in a hospital dying of nothing.

I mean to DESERVE my death!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
On the other hand, clean-living prigs are gonna feel pretty damn stupid when they're 90-something, lying in a hospital dying of nothing.

I don't look at it that way...but then I do not believe our diet or anything we do will extend our life by one more day...I do however believe that we can be healthy throughout our stay here or we can be unhealthy, tied to oxygen tanks and popping pills and living in pain...but there are also chronic illnesses which can not be avoided and to which some are genetically pre-disposed. I know I am pre-disposed to heart disease...it runs on both sides of my family...chances are fairly over whelming that it will knock on the door at some point. *shrug* we all have to die ... that's life

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

And happiness. Happy people are healthier.

Stay away from natural foods and liestyle. More people die from natural causes than all others combined.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
whenever my folks were pissed off at me i'd receive a lot of 'slap therapy'.
:(