What is Christian Philosophy?

Percarus

Apr 21, 2013
Perth - Australia

I bring this topic up for individuals to voice their opinion on Christian philosophy. I am a liberal Presbyterian, I believe the old testament to be almost entirely a book of human philosophy that teaches us various lessons (if not all) about the hardships of life; this if one is to interpret the verses from a very scientific inquisitive mind. Jesus, in my books, was a GREAT philosopher when it came to aspects of love – the hardcore pivotal central element in sheer human sentiment. If that is not to be valuable (be you Agnostic, Atheist, or a Theist) then I have no idea what is to be valuable.

Most of us have our most cherished memories during the Christmas season, and with good cause (not just the commercial side of things). So I ask you, what is Christian philosophy to you? Is it creationism, evolution (and many Christians adhere to the latter – it brings no conflict you see) or is it about distinguishing right from wrong (Kantian, Utilitarianism, Virtue Ethics, and Consequentialism all in one). Was the story of Adam and Eve just a tale portrayed about the first human beings evolved from homo erectus to homo sapiens? Does the Bible/Qu'ran/Torah teach us about the first struggles homo sapiens experienced through metaphor? Is theism to be taken in a more philosophical outlook? What is Christian Philosophy to YOU?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Embracing Paul and ignoring Jesus' teachings - Paulianity - exclusive, divisive, self righteous and arrogant.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Was the story of Adam and Eve just a tale portrayed about the first human beings evolved from homo erectus to homo sapiens?

No.

Genesis shows that there were two creations: Gen 1:26, 27 = male and female he created. Only after several 'generations' went by [Gen 2:4] he decided to create Adam and then Eve as per Gen 2:5 et seq. We do not know how many generations went by. Ethiopia, Assyria, and possibly other kingdoms were identified. Only then is Eve created in Gen 2:21 et seq. Thus, untold generations existed before Adam and Eve came into existence. No indication is made of the extinct species known as homo erectus.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
LET THERE BE LIGHT --

ON GENESIS. AB kHUN

--------

Among those revered and cherished repositories of ancient arcane wisdom which have transmitted the enlightenment of demi-gods from age to age the myth of Genesis holds an important place. And no less certainly can it be asserted that the loss of its true esoteric meaning, along with that of other similarly cryptic oracles of truth and wisdom, has been the cause of a vast befuddlement of the mind of western nations for some fifteen centuries. When, about the third century, the early Christian movement revolted viciously against the whole ancient system of imparting truth and knowledge in secret to disciplined recipients only, in the Arcane Brotherhoods and Mystery Schools, and discarded in consequence the allegorical interpretation of the myths, substituting a purely literal rendering and turning the figures of a spiritual drama into "historical" characters, the great ancient light of knowledge passed under an eclipse from which it has not by any means emerged even now. Except in the marvelous development of mechanics, we are still under the cloud of the Dark Ages. Philosophically, spiritually, we have not recovered what was once known - and lost. And perhaps the sorriest feature of the situation is that the mass of people, and even the leaders of orthodox religionism are neither aware of our having lost precious truth, nor can they be told convincingly that it is so.

None but a close student of comparative religion, who is also enlightened with a knowledge of the hidden keys needed to interpret all ancient scriptural documents, can be made sensible of the full extent to which the modern mind, particularly in the West, has been turned aside from truth to folly by that abortion of the sage wisdom of antiquity in the fatal third century. Loss of occult truth has left a world to grope ahead without the guidance of transcendent knowledge that it should have had. And worse than that - the quiver of false notions that were put forth in place of a profound and true rendering of vital constructions, operating upon the mind of generations, has finally sunk the general level of philosophical intelligence in our boasted modern age to a stage that can hardly be ranked much above that of so-called primitives. The net deposit of organic and traditionalized religion has been a badly warped philosophical vision. There is such a thing as a hypnotism by ideas; and it is under such a paralysis of intelligence by stereotyped and conventionalized ideas that the Occidental mind has lain, or groped as in a spell for some fifteen centuries. During some twelve centuries the mind of Europe was not

free to think. It was effectively repressed by ecclesiasticism. A

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars

I bring this topic up for individuals to voice their opinion on Christian philosophy. I am a liberal Presbyterian, I believe the old testament to be almost entirely a book of human philosophy that teaches us various lessons (if not all) about the hardships of life; this if one is to interpret the verses from a very scientific inquisitive mind. Jesus, in my books, was a GREAT philosopher when it came to aspects of love – the hardcore pivotal central element in sheer human sentiment. If that is not to be valuable (be you Agnostic, Atheist, or a Theist) then I have no idea what is to be valuable.

Most of us have our most cherished memories during the Christmas season, and with good cause (not just the commercial side of things). So I ask you, what is Christian philosophy to you? Is it creationism, evolution (and many Christians adhere to the latter – it brings no conflict you see) or is it about distinguishing right from wrong (Kantian, Utilitarianism, Virtue Ethics, and Consequentialism all in one). Was the story of Adam and Eve just a tale portrayed about the first human beings evolved from homo erectus to homo sapiens? Does the Bible/Qu'ran/Torah teach us about the first struggles homo sapiens experienced through metaphor? Is theism to be taken in a more philosophical outlook? What is Christian Philosophy to YOU?
With well over 40,000 denominations there are probably 40,000 answers to that question.