Why isn't poverty stopped?

Percarus

Apr 21, 2013
Perth - Australia
I have the following picture that has been circulating Facebook:

If this is true, which I think it is, why doesn't the world simply do something about it? What are the limitations of the UN?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If this is true, which I think it is, why doesn't the world simply do something about it? What are the limitations of the UN?
Well, money, for starters. The UN's budget is about $US 20 billion.

United Nations Official Document

Secondly, while it's possible that $US 135 billion per year would end poverty, I really doubt it. There are about seven billion people in the world. Let's say between a quarter and a third of them live in poverty, call it two billion.

$US 135 billion would provide each of them with $US67.50 per year. That's exclusive of administration costs. That's about five and a half bucks a month per head.

I don't think that will solve poverty.

That took me about 30 seconds of googling and about five seconds of arithmetic.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The numbers work without logistics and labour.
Five and a half bucks a head per month will end poverty?

And actually, as presented the OP seems to be saying that a one-time payment of $US135 billion will solve poverty. I'd like to see the reasoning behind that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

And actually, as presented the OP seems to be saying that a one-time payment of $US135 billion will solve poverty. I'd like to see the reasoning behind that.

It's $348 for a tonne of 1 red.

Me too that question crossed my mind.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
look at all the money we've thrown at Africa...from that perspective there should be no poverty any more...yet daily it grows... money is not the problem...where it lands is a problem getting food to those who need, getting fresh water to those who need...getting medical supplies to those who need

Matthew 26:11
just tell us what it says Walt, I'm not googling it...enough with the mystique...

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Red wheat.
Ah. While that might solve hunger (but see the thread on the dead vegan kid), I'm pretty sure hunger isn't all there is to poverty. I always though water, shelter, clothing, and education counted too. And in countries with little or no infrastructure, infrastructure.

look at all the money we've thrown at Africa...from that perspective there should be no poverty any more...yet daily it grows... money is not the problem...where it lands is a problem getting food to those who need, getting fresh water to those who need...getting medical supplies to those who need

just tell us what it says Walt, I'm not googling it...enough with the mystique...
Ten bucks says it's the verse about "the poor you will always have with you."

Good thing you didn't take the bet. It's "For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always."

I think 26:12 is "Cuz pretty damn soon here, I'm gonna blow this joint and head back to my sky-crib with Dad."

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Ah. While that might solve hunger (but see the thread on the dead vegan kid), I'm pretty sure hunger isn't all there is to poverty. I always though water, shelter, clothing, and education counted too. And in countries with little or no infrastructure, infrastructure.

Ten bucks says it's the verse about "the poor you will always have with you."
yeah that's what I was thinking...so basically; "let them eat cake" I've got mine

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you aren't spending time producing or working for food, you have time and energy for education and to produce consumer goods.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

Is there reasoning behind any lefty wish?

Give me the 135 Bil. I will disburse 99.9 % to charity and the poor. I promise.
You sound like gubmint.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have the following picture that has been circulating Facebook:

I don't think it's quite that simple or quite that factual. I'm guessing a fair chunk of that $1735 billion went to wages of people employed in National defense, people whose job description is more varied than simply firing missiles and dropping bombs, including other things like cleaning bunk houses and changing the oil in vehicles to painting buildings.

Give me the 135 Bil. I will disburse 99.9 % to charity and the poor. I promise.

You're a good man Goober.

How much "poverty" is a personal choice including stupid decisions?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well, money, for starters. The UN's budget is about $US 20 billion.

United Nations Official Document

Secondly, while it's possible that $US 135 billion per year would end poverty, I really doubt it. There are about seven billion people in the world. Let's say between a quarter and a third of them live in poverty, call it two billion.

$US 135 billion would provide each of them with $US67.50 per year. That's exclusive of administration costs. That's about five and a half bucks a month per head.

I don't think that will solve poverty.

That took me about 30 seconds of googling and about five seconds of arithmetic.

True and to that OP Picture... is that amount of money what was spent in one year alone or for the last decade up to 2012?

And while the picture says that's all the money that would be needed to stop poverty, is that forever or for a specified time, like one year?

So you blow all that money, get people out of poverty, then the money runs out, these people are still in their same positions in life as before with no education, jobs, etc. and then poverty ensues once again.

It's a nice sentiment, but it's more complicated than that.