Life and Death......

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
An excerpt from a book I'm currently reading.........

We begin to die with our first breath. Death is inside us, ticking closer, closer, with every beat of our heart. It is the end no man can escape. Yet we cling to life, we worship it despite its transience. Or perhaps, because of it.
But all the while, we wonder of death. We build monuments to it, revere it with our rituals. What will our death be? we ask ourselves. Will it be sudden and swift, long and lingering? Will there be pain? Will it come after a long, full life, or will we be cut off-violently, inexplicably-in our prime?

When is our time? For death is for all time.

We create an afterlife because we cannot rush through our days chased by the specter of an end. We make gods who guide us, who will greet us at golden gates to lead us into an eternal land of milk and honey.

We are children, bound hand and foot by the chains of good with its eternal reward, and evil with its eternal punishment. And so, most never truly live, not freely.

I have studied life and death.

There is only one purpose. To live. To live free. To become. To know, with each breath, you are more than the shadows. You are the light, and the light must be fed, absorbed from any and all sources. Then, the end is not death. In the end we become the light.

They will say I am mad, but I have found sanity. I have found Truth and Salvation. When I have become, what I am, what I do, what I have created will be magnificent.

And we will all live forever.

Something to think about as we get older................................

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The material in us will likely spread and become the parts of many living things after our deaths, just as other living things became a part of us. Still, Id rather live on in this incarnation with consciousness. Not going to happen but if it were an option I'd go for it.

Death is almost always on my mind in one form or another whether it be mine or that of someone else. I'm not looking forward to it but at the same time I am curious. I actually hope I go out awake and aware of it. Usually you only get to do it once so I'd like to actually experience it rather than have it happen while Im unconscious and totally unaware of it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

We begin to die with our first breath. Death is inside us, ticking closer, closer, with every beat of our heart. It is the end no man can escape. Yet we cling to life, we worship it despite its transience. Or perhaps, because of it.
But all the while, we wonder of death. We build monuments to it, revere it with our rituals. What will our death be? we ask ourselves. Will it be sudden and swift, long and lingering? Will there be pain? Will it come after a long, full life, or will we be cut off-violently, inexplicably-in our prime?

We create an afterlife because we cannot rush through our days chased by the specter of an end. We make gods who guide us, who will greet us at golden gates to lead us into an eternal land of milk and honey.

We are children, bound hand and foot by the chains of good with its eternal reward, and evil with its eternal punishment. And so, most never truly live, not freely.

There is only one purpose. To live. To live free. To become. To know, with each breath, you are more than the shadows. You are the light, and the light must be fed, absorbed from any and all sources. Then, the end is not death. In the end we become the light.

They will say I am mad, but I have found sanity. I have found Truth and Salvation. When I have become, what I am, what I do, what I have created will be magnificent.

Awesome ♦

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am older and I'm damn grumpy it is like this I ain't going I want to live
till i am real old and the government has to bring my pension check and
entitlements to my house in a Brinks truck that means I have to live a long
long time

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

They say "only the good die young" but I'm still clinging to the belief that if we live sensibly we stand a better chance of achieving longevity! -:)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
They say "only the good die young" but I'm still clinging to the belief that if we live sensibly we stand a better chance of achieving longevity! -:)

We always say, as we get older; I wish I could die in my sleep, but frankly, WLDB for a young man (I think he's a man)....has the right idea....
Why not face that ultimate life experience, which is death ....with eyes open...and if you believe in an afterlife, and it exists, it would be the ultimate trip, that no drug could reproduce...................................

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We always say, as we get older; I wish I could die in my sleep, but frankly, WLDB for a young man (I think he's a man)....has the right idea....
Why not face that ultimate life experience, which is death ....with eyes open...and if you believe in an afterlife, and it exists, it would be the ultimate trip, that no drug could reproduce...................................

Don't the French call an orgasm "the little death"? Death is the ultimate orgasm.
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Death is an attention getter all right. I read a lot about it lately, most of it written by dead people.
J.D. Robb is another "nom de plume" for Nora Roberts who is best known for writing romance novels for women, but she also writes damn good mystery novels under that other name....
I up to # 16 in a series of about 40 + mystery books......

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
J.D. Robb is another "nom de plume" for Nora Roberts who is best known for writing romance novels for women, but she also writes damn good mystery novels under that other name....
I up to # 16 in a series of about 40 + mystery books......

Reading may be difficult AD, so I suppose you're like me trying to jam as much of it in BD in case there's no opportunity later.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Death - the door to eternity. Where will you be spending it?
Same place everyone else will be spending it...and that depends upon the truth of life; we either wink out or keep going.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Yep. We're born dying. It's not news. Some like to think they'll live on as some ethereal being, but there's no verifiable evidence for that idea. It's the basis for my attempts to enjoy as much as I can in life and frees me up from wasting my time wondering about afterlives.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The material in us will likely spread and become the parts of many living things after our deaths, just as other living things became a part of us. Still, Id rather live on in this incarnation with consciousness. Not going to happen but if it were an option I'd go for it.

Death is almost always on my mind in one form or another whether it be mine or that of someone else. I'm not looking forward to it but at the same time I am curious. I actually hope I go out awake and aware of it. Usually you only get to do it once so I'd like to actually experience it rather than have it happen while Im unconscious and totally unaware of it.

Even if you are aware at the time, will you recognize it for what it is? -:)

I think we'll probably find that this "life" here and now is just one of a long procession of "bus stops" on a long trip.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think that we keep coming back until we get it right. The body is a vehicle and it needs to be replaced once in a while. We are not our bodies or our egos. They die. Party of us is eternal, infinite. Seems to me that one pass through the physical plane does not allow us to experience everything there is to being human: to be a member of the opposite sex, of a different race or what it was like to live in different historical time frames. To fully know what it is to be human it would take multiple life times.