avro arrow

Liberalman
Another federal Conservative party bright idea

DaSleeper
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
Diefenbaker Sold out to the US

taxslave
What happens when you trust people in Ontario to run the economy.

lone wolf
Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths | Taylor Empire Airways (external - login to view)

iwarrior.uwaterloo.ca/props/?...98&format=html (external - login to view)

Tecumsehsbones
Why don't y'all do what everybody else does and buy U.S. planes (steep discounts for alleged allies!)?

lone wolf
To hell with making America rich. Then it gets arrogant

Nick Danger
I worked for a small regional airline in the north back in the day, and one of the engineers that worked there was employed at the A.V. Roe plant where the Arrow was being developed. He said when the project was cancelled it was like something out of a black-bag spy movie. A sizable crew showed up unannounced, sent the staff home and proceeded to box and crate everything. The six prototypes were taken apart with cutting torches, every scrap of paper was boxed, and the whole thing was nothing but a memory within days. The Arrow was the most advanced aircraft of its type in existence at the time, and many of its design innovations are still in use today.

Curious Cdn
Quote:

Why don't y'all do what everybody else does and buy U.S. planes (steep discounts for alleged allies!)?

That's what they ended up doing. Unfortuntely, what the Americans had to offer was an aircraft that was a generation behind the Avro Arrow. They soon caught up, though when they got all of our suddenly unemployed aerospace engineers.

EagleSmack
A clunker... a jalopy.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by JokerView Post

It's not an F-35.

Money well spent....just like Trump's golf trips.

The Avro was the fastest plane in the world at the time..

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Exactly

EagleSmack
Clunker... outdated and obsolete while it was still being developed.

Stick to simple things like make a good batch of maple syrup..

PoliticalNick
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Oh sure....why not go where the price jumps by 3000% every time someone cancels an order and you have to sign a contract saying the US government and military retain ownership and control of the software and can shut it down remotely at any time anywhere in the world causing your new F-35 to fall from the sky like a rock.

Such an awesome deal....

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Clunker... outdated and obsolete while it was still being developed.

Stick to simple things like make a good batch of maple syrup..

Yeah the USA knows all about failure..

Fail! The $400 Billion Military Jet That Can't Fly in Cloudy Weather (external - login to view)

Failed at winning the Vietnam War, Korean War & Iraq War..

Now they failed at electing a President that is competent.

EagleSmack
All salty because of the failure known as the Avro.

How did that Rwanda thing workout? FAIL... Libya? FAIL... 1812? FAIL

Keep them tears coming B00Mer!

Johnnny

How did that Rwanda thing workout? FAIL... Libya? FAIL... 1812? FAIL

Keep them tears coming B00Mer!

Eaglesmack what are you saying? You insulting boomer or my country?

Curious Cdn
+2
1812? Fail? I don't see any Stars & Stripes flying around here? Lots of old battlefields around, though.

DaSleeper

It wasn't a failure....It was shut down, suddenly, without warning, by the then prime minister Diefenbaker!...(the net is full of conspiracy theories about it.....pick your favorite...
I got the info from one of the laid-off engineers came to work in Kapuskasing, was so good he became head of a department within five years.
Probably one of the reason I voted Liberal, (yuk)...for the next thee..(correction , two) federal elections until Trudeau senior,....
Last edited by DaSleeper; 1 week ago at 01:42 PM..

MHz

I wonder what the option was??

Jinentonix

1812? FAIL

Seeing as how a MAJOR part of the War of 1812 had to with the US removing British influence from the continent entirely and the US utterly failing in that attempt, I'd say the War of 1812 was a huge fail for the US. You got your asses handed to you by a ragtag group of militia, Native warriors and handful of British regulars.
America: The only country I know whose national anthem is about a war they didn't win.

That's right sport. The border that divided the US and BNA didn't move a single millimeter after the war. You see, I know Americans like to fool themselves into thinking they won that war because it's "too embarrassing" to admit otherwise. But when you fail to come close to achieving a primary goal in a war you started, it means you didn't win.

At best it was a draw for you guys. You didn't remove British influence from the continent at all but you did at least get the RN to stop screwing with your maritime commerce.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

I wonder what the option was??

Probably just political since I believe we had two more conservative majority following diefenbaker

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

Oh sure....why not go where the price jumps by 3000% every time someone cancels an order and you have to sign a contract saying the US government and military retain ownership and control of the software and can shut it down remotely at any time anywhere in the world causing your new F-35 to fall from the sky like a rock.

Such an awesome deal....

Some restrictions apply.

Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

Seeing as how a MAJOR part of the War of 1812 had to with the US removing British influence from the continent entirely and the US utterly failing in that attempt, I'd say the War of 1812 was a huge fail for the US. You got your asses handed to you by a ragtag group of militia, Native warriors and handful of British regulars.
America: The only country I know whose national anthem is about a war they didn't win.

That's right sport. The border that divided the US and BNA didn't move a single millimeter after the war. You see, I know Americans like to fool themselves into thinking they won that war because it's "too embarrassing" to admit otherwise. But when you fail to come close to achieving a primary goal in a war you started, it means you didn't win.

At best it was a draw for you guys. You didn't remove British influence from the continent at all but you did at least get the RN to stop screwing with your maritime commerce.

Is that what they teach y'all the war was about?

Murphy
You remember the Edsel? It was named after Edsel Ford, Henry's only child. The Ford family had real trouble in the fifties.

The Avro Arrow was made by American company, Ford Aerospace, from plans prepared in Mexico. It was named after Avro Ford, nephew of Henry. When Avro was 8 or 9, he would often get away from his nannies and run around the estate where he he lived, pretending to fly planes. The trouble was, he ran around naked and drooled a lot.

In the early 1950s, while making cars and military equipment, Ford decided to create a plane which would later become known as the Avro Arrow. He hoped that it would curb Avro's intense desire to be naked and reduce his drooling. By 1950, he had matured, and it was embarrassing for the family when he would dash across the patio, when his parents had people over. It was said that Avro was very well endowed, which was a distraction.

Because the family was embarrassed about young Avro and his eccentricities, they decided to have the plane made. But they didn't want anyone to know why it was being built or who it was for. The Fords decided to make it in Canada. They hired a drunken British engineer, Eldon Myers, and paid him to show up to work in Malton (now a part of Mississauga, just outside of Toronto), pretend to be in charge (but actually drink for the day) and then be driven home.

Ford got their plane, but sadly, Avro never got to see it. He was struck by a delivery van on the estate grounds in the summer of 1957, about 8 months before the plane's first flight. The body went for almost two weeks before the Ford family identified him. The trouble? When police arrived, they couldn't find any identification on the body because Avro was naked.

Curious Cdn

The Avro Arrow was made by American company, Ford Aerospace, from plans prepared in Mexico. It was named after Avro Ford, nephew of Henry.

Does that explain why the front end of the fuselage looks like one of Jane Russell's boobs?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

The Avro Arrow was made by American company, Ford Aerospace, from plans prepared in Mexico. It was named after Avro Ford, nephew of Henry.

Does that explain why the front end of the fuselage looks like one of Jane Russell's boobs?

Both boobs woulda messed up the aerodynamics.

petros

And made good money. Avro would have been a good bomber but F15-16 were being developed and Canada/A.V. Roe made more from the Space Race than they ever would have with the Arrow.

It was the Arrow or T.C. Douglas' Universal Health Care that Douglas and Pearson pushed for in Opposition.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

And made good money. Avro would have been a good bomber but F15-16 were being developed

The F-15 and F-16 were being developed in the mid-50s?

petros
When did bids open?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

When did bids open?

23 December 1969 for the F-15. 11 September 1974 for the F-16.

MHz

Probably just political since I believe we had two more conservative majority following diefenbaker

There ya go, sold out to have a seat at the corruption table.

Would the design have a place in drone work in the far north or as a weapons delivery platform at mach 3 and above?