avro arrow

Nick Danger

Council Member
Jul 21, 2013
Penticton, BC
I worked for a small regional airline in the north back in the day, and one of the engineers that worked there was employed at the A.V. Roe plant where the Arrow was being developed. He said when the project was cancelled it was like something out of a black-bag spy movie. A sizable crew showed up unannounced, sent the staff home and proceeded to box and crate everything. The six prototypes were taken apart with cutting torches, every scrap of paper was boxed, and the whole thing was nothing but a memory within days. The Arrow was the most advanced aircraft of its type in existence at the time, and many of its design innovations are still in use today.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Why don't y'all do what everybody else does and buy U.S. planes (steep discounts for alleged allies!)?

That's what they ended up doing. Unfortuntely, what the Americans had to offer was an aircraft that was a generation behind the Avro Arrow. They soon caught up, though when they got all of our suddenly unemployed aerospace engineers.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Clunker... outdated and obsolete while it was still being developed.

Stick to simple things like make a good batch of maple syrup..

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Why don't y'all do what everybody else does and buy U.S. planes (steep discounts for alleged allies!)?

Oh sure....why not go where the price jumps by 3000% every time someone cancels an order and you have to sign a contract saying the US government and military retain ownership and control of the software and can shut it down remotely at any time anywhere in the world causing your new F-35 to fall from the sky like a rock.

Such an awesome deal....

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
All salty because of the failure known as the Avro.

How did that Rwanda thing workout? FAIL... Libya? FAIL... 1812? FAIL

Keep them tears coming B00Mer!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
1812? Fail? I don't see any Stars & Stripes flying around here? Lots of old battlefields around, though.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
All salty because of the failure known as the Avro.
It wasn't a failure....It was shut down, suddenly, without warning, by the then prime minister Diefenbaker!...(the net is full of conspiracy theories about it.....pick your favorite... :wink:
I got the info from one of the laid-off engineers came to work in Kapuskasing, was so good he became head of a department within five years.
Probably one of the reason I voted Liberal, (yuk)...for the next thee..(correction , two) federal elections until Trudeau senior,....

Last edited:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
1812? FAIL
Seeing as how a MAJOR part of the War of 1812 had to with the US removing British influence from the continent entirely and the US utterly failing in that attempt, I'd say the War of 1812 was a huge fail for the US. You got your asses handed to you by a ragtag group of militia, Native warriors and handful of British regulars.
America: The only country I know whose national anthem is about a war they didn't win.

That's right sport. The border that divided the US and BNA didn't move a single millimeter after the war. You see, I know Americans like to fool themselves into thinking they won that war because it's "too embarrassing" to admit otherwise. But when you fail to come close to achieving a primary goal in a war you started, it means you didn't win.

At best it was a draw for you guys. You didn't remove British influence from the continent at all but you did at least get the RN to stop screwing with your maritime commerce.