Sudbury byelection bribery case bad timing for Liberals says opposition MPP

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Sudbury byelection bribery case bad timing for Liberals says opposition MPP

Gilles Bisson says it's the first time he can remember such a situation

The scandal surrounding allegations of bribery in the 2015 Sudbury, Ont. byelection does not come at a good time for the governing Ontario Liberals, says a northeastern Ontario opposition MPP.

Timmins-James Bay New Democrat Gilles Bisson spoke to CBC Sudbury's Morning North program on Thursday and said it's a unique situation.

"It's the first time I think any of us have seen this kind of thing where the chief of staff of the Premier of Ontario gets charged," he said.

Pat Sorbara, Premier Kathleen Wynne's former campaign director and deputy chief of staff, and Gerry Lougheed, a Sudbury Liberal fundraiser, were charged in November 2016 with bribery under the Elections Act, for allegedly offering former Sudbury Liberal candidate Andrew Olivier a job or an appointment in exchange for not running in the byelection.

Sorbara is also accused of bribing Sudbury MPP Glenn Thibeault to quit his job as the city's New Democrat MP and run for the Ontario Liberals.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Baby, the rain must fall.

The court will decide. You just watch certain politicians switch to damage control mode.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Baby, the rain must fall.

The court will decide. You just watch certain politicians switch to damage control mode.

Lougheed has lost a lot of respect from within the community here... I forget who, but another funeral home has opened up here just to take advantage of the fact no one wants to be involved in his business no more.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
That's interesting. My wife is from Sudbury and her father's twin brother had his service at Lougheed's. This was about 15 years ago though. The ebb and flow of politics.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Bribery allegations are so common with the Liberals, I'm surprised that the Party doesn't have a busy office full of shysters somewhere just dealing with them, alone.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I think it's great timing,we love this shyte and more so if no convictions all the better,
The Liberal party should wear it proudly and pills will soar

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
My rich friends tell me I need to get over this anti corrupt thing and join the party
I am working on this attitude and I than CCF for helping me with this change of attitude
I am tired of resisting corruption,now I will embrace it

Thank CCF

I am tired of being called a bleeding heart leftie