Video captures Toronto cab strike cyclist

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Video captures Toronto cab strike cyclist
By Maryam Shah, Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 11:50 AM EDT | Updated: Monday, August 22, 2016 05:40 PM EDT
TORONTO - Police are hunting witnesses after video emerged which shows a cab driver swerving and hitting a cyclist last week.
The video shows silver taxi knocking a cyclist — wearing a Favour Delivery shirt — off his bike on Bay St., near Bloor St.
“You’re going to jail! That is assault,” the cyclist is heard saying to a man standing beside the cab in the video.
There was no word on possible charges as police continue probing the mishap.
“We have to interview everybody,” said Const. Clint Stibbe.
Video of the incident shows some lapse in time, he added.
“So what happened during that time? Was there blows, did somebody say anything? These are all the things we need to hear,” Stibbe said.
Police reported a 57-year-old taxi driver was going north in a 2011 Toyota Camry when he hit a 31-year-old man on a bicycle. The cyclist suffered minor injuries.
Police investigate around 1,200 cyclist collisions a year — around 400 of them result in injuries.
Police want to speak with four men — including three cyclists who stopped for the collision — whom they believed witnessed the incident.
The city’s licensing and standards department is also investigating.
“Following the outcome of the (police) investigation, municipal licensing and standards could seek a Toronto licensing tribunal hearing to address the conduct of the driver,” city spokesman Bruce Hawkins said.
Here are past incidents involving cabbies:
•In May 2012, a taxi driver ran over a skateboarder, killing him. He was convicted of manslaughter last fall but was granted bail pending an appeal in March.
•In November 2008, a cab driver reversed into a man who was walking towards his bike, crushing his leg against a pole. The driver was convicted in 2012 of criminal negligence causing bodily harm.
A frame grab from a video posted to YouTube on Aug. 20, 2016 showing a Toronto cab striking cyclist. (YouTube)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH7afFKLlGE
Video captures Toronto cab strike cyclist | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
need to see/know what happened before this video begins. bike boy looks like he was being a bit of a douche at any rate and pounded the window.

oh well.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
he was letting the driver know
the guy was running him into the side walk

you would have to be a douche to not want to have that happen to you

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Cyclists are brutal and the most dangerous form of vehicle in downtown Toronto these days. I support all initiatives to remove any of them from the street.

Besides, how do we know the cabbie wasn't swerving to miss a squirrel?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
if the car driver had a beef and had a ball as big as a bb he would have called the guy on to a fist fight
hitting him with a car is as pansy as it gets

i can see why it resonates though

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
he was letting the driver know
the guy was running him into the side walk

you would have to be a douche to not want to have that happen to you

dis ↓

Cyclists are brutal and the most dangerous form of vehicle in downtown Toronto these days. I support all initiatives to remove any of them from the street.

Besides, how do we know the cabbie wasn't swerving to miss a squirrel?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I hate cyclists. They're a menace on the roads and yet they think they are never to blame. They routinely go through red lights, yet if an accident occurs because of it it'll always be the motorist's or motorists' fault, never theirs.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
dat--> guess who has the right of way
The rules-of-the-road state that when a motor vehicle driver plans to turn right, they must signal and only make the movement when safe to do so, using due care and attention to avoid a collision. For the turn to be safe, a driver should check for other motor vehicles as well as cyclists and pedestrians who could potentially enter the path of their turn.
On a right turn, who has right of way: Car or bike? - WHEELS.ca

did the pansy signal?

effer did that to me
he'ed have an S-78 diamondback parked up his butt for a bike rack
lol

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
One Metre rule's gonna bite his butt....

It's a stupid rule. You pass them and they sneak beside you and pass you at the red light. Then you are supposed to give them 1M again? I give him the same space they squeaked by on. They are obviously comfortable with that distance.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
What preceeded the video clip is really irrelevant. The guy intentionally swerved into the cyclist, that constitutes assault with a deadly weapon, assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm or possibly even attempted murder.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
pretty sure there is only 1 clip on here. Not sure what you call ramming someone with a 1600lb motorized hunk of metal but I call it at least assault with intent.

SHould have watched the first part of the video where the cyclist comes up on the curb side of the taxi and banks on the car scaring the driver causing him to swerve.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'd be inclined to swerve away from something scary. Control means different things to different people ... and if the cabbie uses distraction as an alibi, he'll be busted for that too....

Cabbie vs bike courier.... Both of them believe the road belongs to them