Dog kill controversy

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Dog kill controversy
By Jenny Yuen, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 07:02 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 08:41 PM EDT
The Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is investigating after an East Gwillimbury farmer allegedly shot and killed a pet dog said to have mauled several of his pigs.
According to Ontario’s Protection of Livestock and Poultry from Dogs Act, it’s legal for farmers to shoot dogs that attack their livestock.
The Town of East Gwillimbury confirmed its animal control and bylaw enforcement officers responded to a report that livestock was attacked at a farm at Boag Rd. and Hwy. 48 on July 31. Officers found the dead terrier-cross on private property and brought the body to the owner.
Since the grisly incident, supporters of Massey, the dark-furred pooch, and the farmer who proclaimed he shot Massey, have waged a Facebook war.
“I am the one who shot the dog,” said Josh Blanchard in a Facebook post, accompanied by seven photos of bloody pigs.
“I am the one who witnessed two mutts mauling my mini potbellies, not to mention two of them were pregnant and had baby’s [sic] the next day. No, I don’t feel bad for shooting the dog,” said his post. “These dogs have been around for two years killing and slaughtering my animals for sport, from chickens to my Horned Dorset sheep herd and Flemish rabbits ... The other dog they have needs to stay away and I guess, be fed, as it suggests his dog bowl is empty 24/7.”
Blanchard’s photo is being shared among dog lovers who see the killing as an act of animal cruelty.
“Massey was left at the end of his owner’s driveway by animal control with a bullet through the back of the head,” reads a post by a local resident. “Massey’s head wound was full of maggots, having been left in Blanchard’s family barn for days.”
Massey’s owner, Jodi Hak, declined to speak with the Toronto Sun “until everything is dealt with” but then took issue with the newspaper publishing a story about the incident.
“I feel (publishing the story) is going to negatively impact (all the work) all the authorities are doing right now,” Hak said. “You guys are getting half-truths right now, so to make it about a dog that potentially didn’t do anything wrong and to say it’s OK for a farmer to shoot a dog on your property ... I’ve had people report me to Children’s Aid Society, saying my children are living with a blood-thirsty dog.”
York Regional Police Const. Laura Nicolle said officers responded and investigated the incident on Aug. 2. No charges were laid.
The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs said it doesn’t track data on numbers of dogs killed under the provincial legislation, but noted municipalities are responsible for investigating and addressing incidents where dogs may have injured or killed livestock and poultry.
East Gwillimbury spokesman Laura Hanna said since the dog wasn’t wearing any identification, Animal Control Services couldn’t connect with the owner the day of the shooting, but linked the incident to missing dog report within 48 hours.
“Once positive identification was confirmed, the dog was left in the owner’s care, at a location specified by the owner,” she said.
Ottawa-based farm and animal welfare lawyer Kurtis Andrews outlines the legalities of the Protection of Livestock and Poultry From Dogs Act.
•Is this act broadly-worded?
“It actually says ‘any person,’ it doesn’t necessarily limit it to the farmer. The definition of ‘injury’ is quite broad, too. It would include just pursuing or worrying the livestock or poultry ... It also includes just being on the farm where the livestock is kept. A farmer wouldn’t necessarily have to wait until any damage was done. It’s written fairly broadly so that any person can take a fairly extreme measure to kill the animal to protect the livestock.”
•Does the law provide a loophole for dog haters?
“Ultimately, (this case in East Gwillimbury) could go to court if there was a dispute (over whether) the animal was legally destroyed or shot. But the wording is clear that there’s an intention there to provide a fairly high degree of discretion on behalf of the farmer to protect the livestock and shoot or kill the dog. If the animal is shot ... the animal wouldn’t be able to remain there to suffer, the person would have to finish the job, so to speak, in a fairly quick fashion.”
•Do owners have to kill their pets if a dog attacks a neighbour’s farm animals?
“There is a statutory requirement in the legislation for the dog to be destroyed within 48 hours. If a dog is involved in killing livestock and the owner learns about it, they are actually obligated to have their dog put down. Even if the farmer doesn’t want it. If they don’t do it, they can be charged and convicted of a provincial offence. The penalty is ridiculously low — $50. I’ve never heard of it happening.”
•What’s your personal experience, growing up on a farm, with dogs killing livestock?
“That is a common occurrence. You’d be amazed at the dogs that were involved. You have these innocent-looking house pets that got riled up and they came over and tore apart our rabbits. They ripped the cages open and literally tore them to pieces.”
jyuen@postmedia.com
Massey is pictured in this undated handout photo.

Dog kill controversy | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Sounds like justice was delivered as required. Bunch of citiots with no brains making a fuss about things they know nothing about as usual.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Farmer didn't break law shooting dog: OSPCA
By Jenny Yuen, Toronto Sun
First posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 07:38 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 07:44 PM EDT
A farmer who shot a neighbour’s pet dog — said to have mauled several of his pigs — didn’t break any animal cruelty laws, the OSPCA said Wednesday.
The investigation was launched Aug. 2 after the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was made aware of the July 31 incident on an East Gwillimbury farm at Hwy. 48 and Boag Rd.
According to the province’s Protection of Livestock and Poultry from Dogs Act, it’s legal for farmers to shoot dogs that attack or kill their livestock.
“We have concluded our investigation on the dog that was shot and it does not appear that any laws were broken under the Ontario SPCA Act,” spokesman Melissa Kosowan said Wednesday.
The Town of East Gwillimbury’s animal control and bylaw enforcement officers had responded to a report July 31 that livestock was attacked on private property. Officers found Massey, a terrier-cross, dead and brought the dog’s body to its owner.
Farmer Josh Blanchard posted on his Facebook page that he shot the dog and shared seven graphic images of his bloodied and wounded swine.
“I am the one who witnessed two mutts mauling my mini potbellies, not to mention two of them were pregnant and had baby’s [sic] the next day. No, I don’t feel bad for shooting the dog,” his post says. “These dogs have been around for two years killing and slaughtering my animals for sport, from chickens to my Horned Dorset sheep herd and Flemish rabbits ... The other dog they have needs to stay away and I guess, be fed, as it suggests his dog bowl is empty 24/7.”
Neither Blanchard nor Massey’s owner, Jodi Hak, could be reached Wednesday for comment on the OSPCA’s decision.
On Tuesday, Hak told the Sun she wanted to wait until the investigation concluded to speak with the media, and wouldn’t elaborate on the case, including how her dog was found roaming on Blanchard’s property.
“When there’s animals roaming at large in an unfenced property, you’re not allowed to shoot the dog or coyote,” she contended. “If anyone went over to that property, you would see that it is unfenced. And when it comes down to it, we had to fence our property to keep his livestock out.”
According to the act, any person may kill a dog that is found killing or injuring livestock or poultry or “that is found straying at any time, and not under proper control, upon premises where livestock or poultry are habitually kept.”
York Regional Police also investigated the incident the same day the OSPCA launched its investigation. No charges were laid.
jyuen@postmedia.com
Massey is pictured in this undated handout photo.

Farmer didn't break law shooting dog: OSPCA | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun