Muslim mom, girl kicked out of Mississauga pool

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Muslim mom, girl kicked out of Mississauga pool
Staff apologize, deny racism at play
By Jenny Yuen, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 10:26 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 10:31 PM EDT
The City of Mississauga is apologizing to a Muslim woman after she and her 11-year-old autistic daughter were asked to leave a public outdoor swimming pool.
Shazia Dawood said she was standing at the edge of the Applewood Heights pool — in the Dundas St. E. and Tomken Rd. area — on Friday around 3 p.m. supervising her daughter Birra Alyas, who was in the shallow end. A female lifeguard approached the girl and told her she wasn’t allowed in the deep end because she didn’t pass a swim test, and then ordered her out of the pool.
Dawood says the lifeguard told her she had to get into the water to supervise. The mom refused because she didn’t have a swimsuit and also for religious reasons, as there were men and boys in the pool.
“Another lifeguard started yelling at me, ‘You have to leave,’” Dawood recalled from her Mississauga home Tuesday. “I saw tears in my daughter’s eyes. I asked, ‘What was I doing?’ I said I wasn’t doing vandalism and not scolding. And I saw (one of the lifeguards) laughing at me. Security said I had to go because (the lifeguard) said so.”
Dawood, 43, said she received an apology from the aquatics supervisor Monday. But her family feels this was an act of discrimination and racism.
“She was being harassed because the whole time they were laughing at them and smiling when security was called,” Dawood’s 19-year-old daughter, Muntaha, said.
City recreation manager Jodi Robillos said the department is following up with staff and “taking appropriate action,” but denies the incident stemmed from discrimination.
“Our staff did not quote the admission standards correctly in this instance,” Robillos said.
“Staff were concerned for the child’s safety and swimming ability as she was moving into deeper water and appeared to be struggling. We have met with staff to reinforce better ways to communicate with our customers and other strategies to ensure safety in the water.”
The aquatics admission standards on the city’s website says children nine and younger must be supervised within the pool enclosure by an adult. The city told the family afterwards the lifeguards may have thought her daughter was eight. But Dawood said that before and at the time of the incident, she showed pool staff her daughter’s identification card that indicates her date of birth.
The city says it plans to meet with the family Wednesday.
“We strive to ensure all of our facilities are inclusive and welcoming to all residents and take all complaints very seriously,” Robillos said.
Regardless of the apology, Dawood said she and her family won’t be making any more splashes at Applewood Heights.
“They humiliated us in front of everybody,” she said. “My daughter is so scared to go there. She broke down several times about (lifeguards), saying they were mean to her.”
jyuen@postmedia.com
Birra Alyas, 11, and her mother Shazia Dawood at their home in Mississauga on Tuesday July 19, 2016. (Ernest Doroszuk/Toronto Sun)

Muslim mom, girl kicked out of Mississauga pool | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is it just me or does this story not seem to add up?
It's been a while since I've been at a public pool, but
I don't recall any of the many I've been at having a
security staff....

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
...The City of Mississauga is apologizing to a Muslim woman after she and her 11-year-old autistic daughter were asked to leave a public outdoor swimming pool.
Shazia Dawood said she was standing at the edge of the Applewood Heights pool — in the Dundas St. E. and Tomken Rd. area — on Friday around 3 p.m. supervising her daughter Birra Alyas, who was in the shallow end. A female lifeguard approached the girl and told her she wasn’t allowed in the deep end because she didn’t pass a swim test, and then ordered her out of the pool...

Huh....OK, pick one...

That's probably your answer. With the security mania going on last 15 years or so, they could, and do, put guards on vacant lots.

Really? got one beside my house, & have never seen a
security guard (a vacant lot, that is). I see security guards
in places (privately hired) like grocery stores and such to
prevent theft....

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So the daughter is autistic & cant swim, so the mother decides
to supervise her from the side of the pool for religious reasons?
Does this even sound rational from a parenting stand point?

"It's cool! Here's her birth certificate!"....and thus absolving the
mothers parental responsibility to keep her own child safe? This
rings like a lose-lose attention whoring situation by the mother.

The child, with a disability, who can't swim, either gets into trouble
in the water & the mother (fully dressed) sets herself up to sue
the city because the child 1/2 drowns, or sets herself up to sue
the city because lifeguards try to prevent that from happening.
Give me a break...

If your kid can't swim, and you can't supervise your child to
keep them safe for religious reasons, then put your child into
swim lessons and accept some responsibility. If you can't
keep your child safe, then bring a buddy who can....but no,
that just makes too much sense.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Ah yes. Obviously the story is 100% true as laid out because as we all know, Muslims never, ever lie about being persecuted.
This story stinks like a pod of beached whales.
Well, I certainly can't claim the experience you have with unpleasant odors, but I do have enough reading comprehension skills to understand that the pool management admitted they were treated badly.

You go back to sniffing things now, hear? It's what you're good at.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Well, I certainly can't claim the experience you have with unpleasant odors, but I do have enough reading comprehension skills to understand that the pool management admitted they were treated badly.

You go back to sniffing things now, hear? It's what you're good at.
You can't read for sh*t, jackass. City management said they were treated badly. They also stated that no racism or discrimination was involved. Good thing you can read, eh stinky?

But since no one from City Management was actually there at the time of the incident, all we really have is the word of the "victim" as to how it was handled. And of course you'll believe her because you're a f*cking racist. For proof of that, look no further than the Muslim woman who as attacked in London. You immediately blamed "Old Stock" Canadians but when it was learned the offender was Persian you got very quiet, just like the Muslim groups, the media and all the little progtards who howled in outrage about it until they discovered Whitey wasn't responsible.
You're not fooling anyone with your veiled racism. Yep, you'll crap on me because the media didn't hand deliver the news to me about there being two busts of Churchill in the White House and yet you have no trouble accusing "Old Stock" Canadians of discrimination without having a single shred of proof for it.
Yep, those poor Muslims. The only people in the history of public swimming pools in Canada to be told they had to leave the pool. Now, I don't know about Mississauga's city by-laws but I've been to public pools that had notices stating that children under a certain age must be accompanied by an adult in the pool. But who cares about that? Some douchebag racist says it's obviously discrimination so it must be.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm sure you're positively incensed that anybody believed a Muslim.

Funny part is, I actually used to believe that Canada was a pretty happy place, largely free of the bigotry and discrimination that plagues the U.S.

Amazing the stuff you can learn on teh interwebz.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Definately discrimination - and it's on the person who didn't prove she was eligible to be where she was. The dramatics? Media and the game....
They had the right to ask her to leave if there was a safety concern. Actually, they had a right to be bigoted jerks about it.

And they exercised their rights in true Canadian fashion!