Black Lives Matter failed to show respect at Pride parade

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Black Lives Matter failed to show respect at Pride parade

By Sue-Ann Levy, Toronto Sun
First posted: Sunday, July 03, 2016 09:30 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 04, 2016 01:22 AM EDT
They call themselves Black Lives Matter (Toronto) but at Sunday’s Pride parade they should have been called Nobody Else Matters.
The protesters that were selected as Pride’s honoured group this year — an act of political correctness gone mad — did nothing to respect that honour.
It certainly didn’t matter to them that while they parked their posteriors at the corner of Yonge and College Sts for a 30-minute protest — a tactic no doubt aimed at making the 6 p.m. news —- thousands of revellers and marchers in support of gay rights and gay pride were left to stand in the blazing heat waiting for the parade to recommence.
It wouldn’t have mattered to them that former Stephen Harper cabinet minister Lisa Raitt — who was squeezed into a small section of Bloor St. while waiting to march along with all of the 120 members of the LGBTory group — fainted in the heat. They made the news! Or that they put countless other elderly and disabled people at risk while they presented their list of demands to the Pride organizers. They made the news!
It didn’t seem to matter to this group that while, yes they did hijack the parade and the left-wing media ate it up, the parade just wasn’t the same as the afternoon wore on.
When our LGBTory group — which included acting Conservative leader Rona Ambrose, PC Ontario Leader Patrick Brown, MPP LISA McLeod and federal leadership candidates — finally set off at 5 p.m., it all seemed terribly anticlimactic.
We were withered and a good portion of the crowd had dispersed. Those onlookers left didn’t seem very gay at all.
If we want to talk about a group that has been marginalized, let’s talk about gay Conservatives. Can you imagine what the left-wing media would have done if our entire group sat down in the middle of Yonge and Bloor Sts. with a list of demands? I can guarantee the politically-correct Pride organizers would not have been tripping over themselves to negotiate with us, or to even give us the time of day. The police would have pulled us away in two minutes.
And what about those eight demands?
I’m not suggesting that BLM doesn’t have some legitimate issues with the police or some cause to be concerned. But to hold a parade hostage while they demanded that there be no more Toronto police providing security at the event, no more police floats in the parade or that Pride hires more of their members, struck me as downright self-serving.
Here I thought the Pride parade was about celebrating gay rights and gay pride — the rights of all gay people. I thought we were supposed to be marching in memory of the victims of the Orlando massacre. I wasn’t aware that it was about allowing one loud group to make a political statement.
I guess Pride’s organizers have not learned their lesson from the Queers Against Israeli Apartheid (QuAIA) fiasco of years gone by. They allowed QuAIA to hijack the parade for five years in the name of “free speech” — although we should be grateful for small mercies QuAIA never blocked an intersection and stopped the parade.
Now Pride’s organizers are allowing themselves to be bullied by BLM, whose members were tripping over themselves to say they won Sunday.
Won what? They embarrassed themselves on national TV, they made a mockery of the Pride organization and showed, yet again, that Pride has lost its way.
I can only imagine what group will block the parade next year with its own ultimatums.
SLevy@postmedia.com
Black Lives Matter failed to show respect at Pride parade | LEVY | Toronto & GTA

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
or, maybe apply and organize your own little parade. tie it together with that caribana thing perhaps. who knows. just don't be lazy and piggy-back on the travails of others.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
so if a person is Black AND Gay
life might not matter...

say...
do masochists get a parade?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
"If we want to talk about a group that has been marginalized, let’s talk about gay conservatives."

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
"If we want to talk about a group that has been marginalized, let’s talk about gay conservatives."

someone rent-free in yer noggin' again kid? :lol:

anyway, what's your take our our black friends there?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Just more bullying of homosexuals by black thugs, only now the homos won't have the poleece to help them cuz the thugs got the homos to sign a contract to keep the poleece out of the wang-waving parade from now on. 'Tis to laugh.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It wouldn’t have mattered to them that former Stephen Harper cabinet minister Lisa Raitt — who was squeezed into a small section of Bloor St. while waiting to march along with all of the 120 members of the LGBTory group — fainted in the heat. They made the news!

Or that they put countless other elderly and disabled people at risk while they presented their list of demands to the Pride organizers. They made the news!

When our LGBTory group — which included acting Conservative leader Rona Ambrose, PC Ontario Leader Patrick Brown, MPP LISA McLeod and federal leadership candidates — finally set off at 5 p.m., it all seemed terribly anticlimactic.

If we want to talk about a group that has been marginalized, let’s talk about gay Conservatives. Can you imagine what the left-wing media would have done if our entire group sat down in the middle of Yonge and Bloor Sts. with a list of demands?

Sue-Ann Levy is suggesting (rightly) that Pride can be used as a platform for political causes. It's possibly the only major social demonstration that gets any real notice. Black Lives Matter capitalized on this successfully and LGBTory did not. Is she complaining that the parade can hijacked or is she complaining that her group can't do the hijacking? It seems like the latter is her major focus. Not that BLM stole the gay community's voice, or that how the political establishment has incorporated pride into itself for its own publicity, or a possible rift created between social movements from this, or the issues brought up by BLM.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I had one major problem and one minor problem with all of this.

The demand for police floats to be removed is a serious FU to BLM from me. And it makes me wonder if the BLM members in the parade weren't mostly from the US.

The minor one was the push for "black" first to every announcement of need to be inclusive.

I DID agree with their addition of other races - Indigenous and Asian - and I DO know that black gay, lesbian, trans and others are sort of the not thought of group in the US due a lot I think to the religious heaviness in black culture, but...

Of ALL groups to nix police interaction with, considering the issues still at hand sometimes (not sure of Canadian situations but a lot of US issues are serious) this really made me question BLM (again) who they are really 'for'.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Being neither gay nor a police officer i find the whole situation disgusting in the sense that BLM was an "honoured guest" at the parade and they took that gesture as an advantage to flex their will on the gay community....

And the gay community submitted. I think the gay community needs to grow some balls or ovaries here and tell them to go "f@ck themselves"

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Oh my goodness, let's all get worked up over this and pretend Al Quds day doesn't happen, which is basically a day of hate and a complete and utter insult to everything Canada is supposed to stand for, according to the good little proggies out there who remain oddly silent on the whole thing. The Al Quds day parade or whatever the hell they call their little public display of hate-filled outrage, was the day BEFORE the Pride Parade.
How do you have an entire week/month devoted to Gay Pride in Toronto and then let some f*ckwitted a$$holes who hate gays and ain't shy about it have a parade during that period?? Holy sh*t, can you imagine if Christians wanted to hold an anti-Israel, anti-gay march at any time of the year?
What do you think the odds are of anyone getting permission to hold an anti-Islam parade/march/rally in Toronto, or anywhere else in Ontario for that matter? I'm willing to bet you'd have a better chance of finding intelligent life on Pluto.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If Black Lives Matter, then we need to protect the lives of black people.

So we need the police to be vigilant in protecting black people.

So the Black Lives Matter movement wants the police to use racial profiling, so they can protect black people.

Who would have thunk it?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Pride Toronto now owes police an apology

By Joe Warmington, Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, July 04, 2016 08:23 AM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 04, 2016 10:44 AM EDT
Just a week after a mea culpa from Chief Mark Saunders for the 1981 bathhouse raids it’s now Pride Toronto’s turn to apologize to Toronto Police.
If smart, they won’t wait 35 years.
In fact doing so today is the only way to repair the damage and hurt that will be the fallout from Pride Toronto’s executive director Mathieu Chantelois signing a Black Lives Matter document Sunday which completely threw police under the bus.
It all stems from unnamed protesters flying the Black Lives Matter banner disrupting the Pride Parade Sunday with a half-hour sit in at Yonge and College Sts. which was only halted after its list of demands were signed by Chantelois.
Almost like a hostage situation there were calls for extra space at events and funding for black participants in future Pride activities but it was number 8 on the list that could spark the end of Pride as we know it.
Number 8 called for the “removal of police floats/booths in all Pride marches/parades/community spaces.”
So much for inclusion and tolerance. That Chantelois agreed to this stunned Toronto Police Association president Mike McCormack.
“Shame on Pride organizers -Toronto Pride agrees to demands after Black Lives Matter Toronto briefly halts parade” he tweeted.
Adding:
“Toronto Pride organizers agree to BLM demands including “no police floats” in future Pride parades.”
But this third tweet send a message that Pride organizers won’t be able to turn their backs on.
“@PrideToronto turns their backs on Toronto Police @TorontoPolice #BLM demand no police float in #PrideParade” was his third.
Yikes.
"We expect a full retraction and apology from the Pride people" McCormack told the Toronto Sun Monday.
"Anything short of that could effect our members feeling comfortable volunteering for that event in the future."
If they don’t rectify this today, their parade as it has come to be known could be in jeopardy.
There is no pride parade without Toronto Police and certainly without the backing of Toronto Police officers who are not just deployed but are enthusiastic volunteers. So much accommodation is made, and so many blind eyes turned, to allow for it and many of the side events to operate as they do.
No other event is given the same courtesies and loosening of standards. For example, in stark contrast over at Christie Pits there was a zero tolerance for rule bending approach by Toronto Police’s parking enforcement people at the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball game where parking violators were ticketed $50, including team owner Jack Dominico, who the field is named after.
No breaks there. There was much more leniency and discretion offered over at Pride.
Let alone the incredible security police provide to participants who for decades feared for their safety, if things were done by the book there are many infractions at the parade or its events that could be written up including public nudity, marijuana use and public intoxication.
That good could soon be gone if rank-and-file officers decide it’s not a friendly event toward them and they are not backed up despite their support.
Pride Toronto should have been more grateful and respectful to Toronto Police. It was a mistake Chantelois made but his was not the only one.
Toronto Police command itself also erred by not arresting and removing the protesters who marred arguably Toronto’s most important annual event in what was nothing more than a successful attention-grabbing stunt that should not have been bowed to by organizers or police. If they ruined a Blue Jays game or were selling pot in a store front, they would have been dealt with more harshly.
This is an example of why it is dangerous for police to become too much part of an event instead of just policing it. Ironically demands for more money while holding up an event with the prime minister, premier, cabinet ministers and mayor and councillors would be not only be frowned upon but not likely tolerated. That they were not physically removed was something that fell under the umbrella of the kind of special compensation made to participants in Pride.
Lots of stuff is overlooked -- but this should not have been.
Their protest worked because not only did they force organizers to acquiesce to their demands but they also knocked Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s historic appearance off the front page.
It was a gutsy move by Black Lives Matter and we will soon see if Pride Toronto has the guts to stand up to them the day after and save the future of their parade by making amends immediately with Toronto Police.
If not, where do the demands of Black Lives Matter end?
Black Lives Matter stage a sit-in at Yonge and College Sts. during the Pride Parade on July 3, 2016. (Mark Blinch/The Canadian Press)

Black Lives Matter Toronto stalls Pride parade - Toronto - CBC News

Pride Toronto now owes police an apology | WARMINGTON | Toronto & GTA | News | T

Police weigh in on the BLM Pride parade controversy
First posted: Monday, July 04, 2016 06:02 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 04, 2016 07:02 PM EDT
Police organizations across the province weighed in on Pride giving into demands of Black Lives Matter (BLM) during Sunday’s parade. BLM’s demands included banning police floats from the annual parade

Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police, Joe Couto who published a 2014 study on LGBT officers:

“A lot of my policing colleagues are quite upset, obviously. You’re getting the raw emotion of that. There has been a lot of work done over the years to improve the relationship between the police and the LGBT community, especially in Toronto. (Sunday’s) events are a real setback to the positive progress. What you had there is political agendas coming together with the Pride celebration.”

York Regional Police, Const. Laura Nicolle

“York Regional Police has been proud to participate in the Pride parade for several years as well as multiple Pride events held in York Region. Our attendance and visibility at these events are very important to us and is based on supporting the LGBTQ community, both internally with our members as well as externally with citizens that we serve.”

Durham Regional Police, Deputy Chief Chris Fernandes

“I was at the parade. We had over 60 of our members in uniform, civilian and auxiliary members and even Youth in Policing students attend. The crowd reaction to all the police services was amazing. Regardless of if we can go to the Toronto Pride parade in the future or not, that’s never going to reduce our support for that community.”

OPP Association, president Rob Jamieson

“It was frustrating to watch a single group hijack and hold the parade hostage to achieve their goals. Using an event like Pride, conducted under the banner ‘You Can Sit With Us’ to exclude police personnel from participating in the future flies in the face of a theme which, by Pride Toronto’s own promotion, sought to ‘make everyone feel connected and included.’”

Toronto Police LGBT officer liaison, Const. Danielle Bottineau

“I think it’s so important for TPS be represented in the parade. Not only as a result of what happened in Orlando, even more so as a service, because we support both the community at large within the city, but also for our own LGBTQ members within the service. This is a way that we can celebrate and be able to be who we are, (regardless) based on our gender identity or sexual orientation.”

jyuen@postmedia.com
Police weigh in on the BLM Pride parade controversy | Toronto & GTA | News | Tor

Pride won't be pressured into banning cop floats: Pride executive director
By Terry Davidson, Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, July 04, 2016 07:19 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 04, 2016 07:41 PM EDT
Pride Toronto refuses to be pressured into excluding police floats from future parades, says Pride’s executive director.

During a protest by Black Lives Matter (BLM) that stopped Sunday’s parade, Pride’s Mathieu Chantelois signed off on a list of demands, which included banning police floats from the event in the future.

Chantelois told CP24 on Monday he signed BLM’s contract to get the parade moving again after the controversial group brought everything to a halt with a sit-in.

“My priority yesterday was to make the parade move,” he said. “We had a million people waiting ... so the parade had to go on.”

Chantlois added while many of BLM’s demands are “reasonable,” it is the one excluding police participation that is the most controversial.

“And frankly, Black Lives Matter is not going to tell us that there is no more (police) floats anymore in the parade. I will not tell you there are no more floats in the parade because Pride is bigger than Black Lives Matter,” he told CP24. “That is the kind of decision that needs to be made by the community. So, (Sunday) we agreed to have a conversation about this.”

BLM — Pride’s honorary group for 2016 — stopped the parade for around 30 minutes. The colourful march resumed when Chantelois signed off on the group’s demands, which included the “removal of police floats/booths in all Pride marches/parades/community spaces.”

But Chantelois said there are members of Toronto’s LGBT community who are uncomfortable with the number of officers currently participating in the annual event.

“Some people in my community are not (comfortable) because they think there is too much of a presence of the police in the parade, so I think that as a community we have to come together and make some important decisions.”

Chantelois did not respond to multiple requests from the Toronto Sun for an interview.

BLM co-founder Janaya Khan said while some of the items on the list are negotiable, the ban on police floats is not.

Amanda Galbraith, a spokesman for Mayor John Tory, said the civic leader would have “serious concerns” if Toronto Police were excluded from future Pride celebrations.

“We understand Pride Toronto is in the middle of dealing with this and will be meeting with the chief later this week,” she said in a statement to the Sun. “The mayor has an excellent working relationship with Pride and its board of directors and will support them as they determine how best to move forward.”

Councillor Chin Lee, who is a member of the police services board, said he thinks BLM undermined its credibility with the parade demonstration.

— With files from Shawn Jeffords and The Canadian Press.

TDavidson@postmedia.com
Black Lives Matter protesters sit on the ground to halt the annual Pride Parade. (THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Pride won't be pressured into banning cop floats: Pride executive director | Tor

Cops thrown under the bus in Pride controversy

By Joe Warmington, Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, July 04, 2016 09:41 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 04, 2016 09:49 PM EDT
What’s so hard about saying “I’m sorry?”

It’s a question for Pride Toronto Executive Director Mathieu Chantelois — but he’s not taking the Toronto Sun’s calls or answering requests for interviews.

He did connect with Toronto Police Association President Mike McCormack Monday indicating Pride would get back to him at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

“But I did get a good feeling from him,” said McCormack. “He did sound sincere.”

Of course, all of this stems from Sunday’s response to a Black Lives Matters “shut-it-down” stunt in which they demanded Chantelois sign a document with nine demands from Pride Toronto, including “removal of police floats/booths in all Pride marches/parades/community spaces.”

The parade started moving again after he signed it.

We have tried to get a response out of Pride since Sunday and no one ever clarified any of it.

Like many of his members — some part of the LGBT community — McCormack was “shocked and outraged” by “being thrown under the bus.”

“People were hurt by this lack of support in favour of a group that is against police when we have supported and served this parade for years and years,” said McCormack.

Chantelois has been quoted in media as saying he didn’t intend to sign a binding agreement and was merely trying to “get the parade moving” after the rude but effective protest.

But the delay in setting the record straight and making it clear they still want police as a partner in their parade is not fooling anyone.

Why do they need to meet and talk some more when all they have to do is say police are in and Black Lives Matter are out?

They, however, are not alone in there careful dealing with the local chapter of Black Lives Matter.

“Where is City Hall on this?” asked McCormack. “Why are we not getting more support coming from the mayor or members of council?”

Even what has come out of there has been less than resounding support.

“The Toronto Police have had a presence in the parade every year for more than a decade and we would have serious concerns if they were excluded,” said Mayor John Tory’s spokesman Amanda Galbraith.

Not exactly fire breathing.

“We understand Pride Toronto is in the middle of dealing with this and will be meeting with the chief later this week,” she added. “The mayor has an excellent working relationship with pride and its board of directors and will support them as they determine how best to move forward.”

I tried to get Tory to come in with more fire and brimstone and put these Black Lives Matters demonstrators in their place.

The police would have appreciated it, too. Pride Toronto does get $260,000 in city funding after all.

That said, Tory is politically wise to not take the bait on a fight that is really not his. This is Pride Toronto’s mess to get out of and why be that third man in and end up getting the bruises.

Still, it seems the powers that be are prepared to give full standing to a radical group that has taken a disruptive and combative approach to expressing their concerns. There are plans to give Black Lives Matter a big city award and they were given “honoured group status” in this year’s parade.

No matter how much they embarrassed Pride and the city — and disparaged police — it seems few appear ready or brave enough to stand up to them.

Time will tell how Pride will handle this.

But if they are not prepared to apologize — like Chief Mark Saunders did for the 1981 bathhouse raids — Pride should at least bestow Toronto Police and members of surrounding services with the honoured group status in next year’s parade.
Members of Black Lives Matter Toronto take part in the annual Pride Parade. (THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Cops thrown under the bus in Pride controversy | WARMINGTON | Toronto & GTA | Ne