Could Libs have saved hydro customers $1.5 billion

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Newly unearthed documents suggest Ontario’s Liberal government could have saved hydro customers $1.5 billion by terminating an agreement with Samsung, but decided against it.

The papers, uncovered by Progressive Conservative Finance Critic Vic Fedeli, relate to the 2009 Samsung green energy agreement that would take $10.5 billion from Ontario hydro bills, and pay it to a Samsung consortium over 20 years. In return, Samsung would deliver green energy and build factories in the province, employing 900 people.

Four years into the deal, however, a confidential document from staff at the Ministry of Energy advised the government it could save hydro customers $5.2 billion by terminating the agreement. This was because the Korean consortium was missing contract targets and deadlines on electricity projects that Ontario didn’t even need anymore.

But instead of calling off the deal, the Liberals renegotiated the contract to save only $3.7 billion --leaving $1.5 billion in hydro savings on the table.

Fedeli said the decision not to terminate the agreement with Samsung will cost the taxpayers.

“We’ve been paying and we’re going to be paying for 20 years,” he said. “It’s a 20-year contract--$1.5 billion that the taxpayer need not have had to pay.”

But the Liberals are accusing Fedeli of “spinning conspiracy theories,” arguing that the deal has created jobs and green energy solutions for Ontario.

A spokesperson for Ontario’s minister of energy said Samsung now has four manufacturing plants up and running in the province, but has yet to create the 900 jobs promised in the deal.

Ontario gov't ignored chance to cut $1.5B in hydro bills: documents | CTV News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
And still within reach of a balanced budget.

Next year is gonna be tough for penny pinchers.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I've been doing just fine with it.

Just go on the budget payment plan.

It's easy and you will always know how much to pay.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I never said it did, you completely observant and clairvoyant person.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Your good with the Libs buying off the Hydro workers so they can Privatize the service while forever increasing the costs of supply and usage?

Never will I be on equal billing.

When I first moved into where I am some 20 years ago I was not aware that I was on some sort of equalization plan.

Apparently the previous owners were and the local hydro just automatically continued with that.

One day I came home and there was this red door knocker and it was from the local hydro. It absolutely floored me. It said that if I did not pay the balance owed by either that day the Hydro would be cut off and I would be responsible for all costs to re hook etc..

It was too late to call them that day. I also happened to get my Hydro bill that day and it wasn't due for about a week so I wasn't sure what was going on.

Next morning I went there and they told me I was on a equalization plan and that the 'year end' payment was due that day. I asked how this could happen and they insisted they sent out notices to which I said BS. I always pay the bill ahead of time and have never seen a 'year end' payment request.

I asked about this year end payment and they told me I was on this equalization plan, even though I hadn't authorized, or even been given the option.

I insisted they remove me from this plan and I have never had an issue since.......

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
And still within reach of a balanced budget.

Next year is gonna be tough for penny pinchers.

If we see a balanced budget. However, if it is balanced, it will be curious how much more money taxpayers will be forking up to pay for Wynne. They don't call the Lieberals tax and spend for nothing.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Wynne is balancing the budget with more tax increases and loans.

Hardly any form of fiscal responsibility as opposed to getting another new credit card to use to pay off the other maxed-out balances

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Only until reconciliation time where they'll zap up a few hundred extra and give you the choice of pay the extortion or do without.

How much does Wynne pay her cheerleaders ... and in what?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Wynne is balancing the budget with more tax increases and loans.

Hardly any form of fiscal responsibility as opposed to getting another new credit card to use to pay off the other maxed-out balances

That was how the BC dippers claimed balanced budgets in the 90's. Tax revenue + borrowing = expenditures. Presto balances budget. AIn't new math grand?