Tilted Kilt servers 'comfortable' with revealing uniforms

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Tilted Kilt servers 'comfortable' with revealing uniforms
By Terry Davidson, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 07:38 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 08:01 PM EST
TORONTO - Tilted Kilt waitress Mykayla Johnson says she feels “good” when wearing an outfit that reveals cleavage, leg, and lots of midriff.
The 19-year-old’s work uniform consists of a short plaid skirt and a tight, low-cut top.
“(People) ask if we’re comfortable and the answer is always 110% yes, because, as women, we have to be comfortable with our bodies,” Johnson said. “There is nothing we don’t like about the costume. I feel good in it.”
This has been the themed uniform for female wait staff at downtown Toronto’s Tilted Kilt bar and eatery from the beginning, and the “girls” who wear it knew it came with the job and “love doing what they’re doing,” manager Todd Kehoe said on Tuesday.
The Ontario Human Rights Commission is demanding employers — pubs and bars, in particular — stop requiring employees to dress provocatively as a condition of employment.
“(Servers) have fun doing what they do and they feel comfortable in the uniforms,” insisted Kehoe. “They actually like wearing them.”
Kehoe said the women who apply for a job at the Tilted Kilt are made fully aware of what they’ll be wearing at work.
“It has been a theme of the restaurant,” he said. “We haven’t asked the girls to wear anything else other than what they are wearing ... We have them try on the themed costumes because we want to make sure that they are right for us and we are right for them.
“If they don’t feel comfortable wearing an outfit like this, than we realize they are not right for our company and vice versa,” he said.
tdavidson@postmedia.com

Tilted Kilt servers 'comfortable' with revealing uniforms | Toronto & GTA | News

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
I think they are "comfortable " with the tips they earn. There is a disparity here, but it's about looks, not employer standards.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Petitioning President, Earls Restaurant Mo Jessa and 3 others
Stop sexist dress codes in restaurants.

Amy Tuckett-McGimpsey
Winnipeg, Canada
Supporters
Marketplace trailer on CBC: Restaurant dress codes: Sexy outfits for female staff may be discriminatory - Business - CBC News

Restaurant dress codes that sexualize female employees are not only discriminatory but also dangerous. Female servers should not be forced to wear skimpy clothing, heavy makeup or high heels when the only requirements for their male counterparts are button down shirts and black pants, and a tie. This not only forces women to sexualize their body for the benefit of the restaurant, but it also places women at higher risk of injury due to the heels these women are required to wear.

It is often suggested that women should simply work elsewhere if they do not like the dress code, however, the issue is not that simple. Restaurants with these policies target young girls and women who are just entering the job market, and whose choices for employment are limited. While some women opt to wear the uniform for pleasure, many women do it because they have financial obligations such as school or children that require they work. With little job experience, a need for flexible hours and the possibility of tips, the restaurant industry is often the best option. Restaurants such as Moxies, Earls, Jack Astor’s and Joeys are large businesses and dominate a large portion of the restaurant market, particularly in smaller cities. This means that women are forced to choose between possibly making less money, and relinquishing the right to wear safe clothing that is comparable to their male colleagues.

A lot of restaurants have started to claim that they do not “require” heels in the workplace. This is a simple way of avoiding any potentially legal windfall if and when an employee tries to prosecute when they are (and they are) fired or injured as a result of what they wore to work. The “choice” is then hoisted on the server, who is then placed under enormous pressure by management to be their best (which means wearing heels). Rewards and punishments both explicit and implicit follow and many women working in these conditions comply with the ideal of wearing tight clothes and high heels. In sum, the reality of “choice” is vastly different than it’s innocent presentation.

Restaurants operate under the guise that they are picking the best women who are best capable of offering guests an “experience” (yes, that is actually the language they use). But what does that really mean?
Is a woman wearing hijab not capable of excellent service? How about an androgynous woman or a transsexual/transgender woman or queer men, etc? What are these restaurants doing for these individuals? How is it not discrimination to suggest that these people are not capable of working in these establishments because they do not slot neatly into the male/female dress code model?

Whose sex are you selling

Huh?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Next thing you know, the Ontarry-yo Yoomin Rahts Commissariat'll be demanding that strip clubs can't make their dancers take off their clothes.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I wonder how many customers forget to ask for a menu? Does the place even sell food? Give the girls some bikinis and call it the beach and the guys can walk up and down the isles.

Next thing you know, the Ontarry-yo Yoomin Rahts Commissariat'll be demanding that strip clubs can't make their dancers take off their clothes.
Not a big deal, have them start naked and during the show they gradually put the costumes on. (and then they are legal for lap dances)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Personally I eat and drink at pubs and restaurants where waitresses wear tank tops and I'll fitting bras that cut into their back fat like butchers twine into a rump roast and I can tip them with cigarettes.

I guess that might explain why a pint is $4 cheaper than the Tilted Kilt or Earles but it doesn't explain why the food is better than Earles or tilted kilt.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Personally I eat and drink at pubs and restaurants where waitresses wear tank tops and I'll fitting bras that cut into their back fat like butchers twine into a rump roast and I can tip them with cigarettes.

I guess that might explain why a pint is $4 cheaper than the Tilted Kilt or Earles but it doesn't explain why the food is better than Earles or tilted kilt.
Yeah, I was just thinking. We should start a theme club called "Whales," featuring waitresses in skimpy little outfits who're at least 50 pounds overweight. Do it for the laugh. Bet we'd make millions selling overpriced beer and crappy food.

I wonder how many customers forget to ask for a menu? Does the place even sell food? Give the girls some bikinis and call it the beach and the guys can walk up and down the isles.

Not a big deal, have them start naked and during the show they gradually put the costumes on. (and then they are legal for lap dances)
Take your pills.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

I don't know. We get full pink here. Which is great if you can handle the waitresses sexually harassing you. Kinda the opposite of this sh1t.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I don't know. We get full pink here. Which is great if you can handle the waitresses sexually harassing you. Kinda the opposite of this sh1t.

Touch one of the girls at the Sundowner and they'll find you floating in the Welland canal.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Touch one of the girls at the Sundowner and they'll find you floating in the Welland canal.
Touch a schoolgirl and her brothers would do the same. I assume that 'school' is part of the lure of this costume as that is 'forbidden fruit'. Might as well holiday in Nevada where you can window shop for your next meal.