Q&A: How to save our disappearing bees

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Q&A: How to save our disappearing bees
By Jenny Yuen, Toronto Sun
First posted: Saturday, March 05, 2016 04:04 PM EST | Updated: Saturday, March 05, 2016 04:19 PM EST
The bee population isn’t buzzing as well as it should be in Canada.
In fact, a staggering 38% of Ontario bee colonies didn’t survive last winter.
Renowned U.S. entomologist Marla Spivak will be in Toronto on Tuesday and Wednesday to speak about the problem.
Q: How serious is this problem in Toronto?
“Bees are in trouble and not just in Toronto. In the United States, every year, on average, 30% of all honeybee colonies die. And in Canada, the average is slightly less, but some years, Canadian beekeepers are suffering huge losses of honeybee colonies.
Q: Why are bees important?
“These are the most important pollinators of our fruits, vegetables and indirectly to cattle, like alfalfa hay, that support our dairy and beef industry. With a lack of bees there would be a lack of produce ... or would be more expensive or wouldn’t taste as good.”
Q: Why are the bees dying?
“Bees have their own diseases and parasites, so that’s one of the factors. We know that those things alone can kill colonies. We also know insecticides kill bees ... That alone cannot explain all the deaths. The main thing I think is the lack of habitats. Bees eat these flowers. So just like us, if they’re malnourished, there’s a downward spiral that happens with their immune systems and ability to detoxify pesticides.”
Q: Are there specific flowers Canadians should be planting?
“There are lists of flowers that bees just love. Bees really need flowers that bloom over the growing season. Most things in the legumes and mints ... you basically stand in front of flowers on a warm, sunny day and if you see bees on them, plant more of those.”
Q: What do you think of Toronto Councillor Michelle Holland pushing for Toronto to become the first Bee City in Canada (essentially a public commitment to create “sustainable pollinator habitats”)?
“I’m proud of Toronto, that’s a great idea. There are some cities, especially in Minnesota where I live, that are becoming bee friendly and are advocating a lot of planting of flowers and a lot of education about the importance of bees and this is just a wonderful opportunity to see the benefit of bees and do something to help them.”
Q&A: How to save our disappearing bees | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The bees are being killed off intentionally. Monsanto has a new product waiting in the wings called "Nanobees" which are little robotic bees that will take the place of the real ones. They are controlled by secret passwords that only Monsanto knows and you may subscribe to their services by the year, money due every April 2st.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I watched a documentary on this a few years back and I think it was in china where they were artificially pollinating an orchard of some sort because there were no bees.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I watched a documentary on this a few years back and I think it was in china where they were artificially pollinating an orchard of some sort because there were no bees.

It helps a whole lot to have a spare billion peasants on hand to do that.

Now you go to re-education camps in the PRC to "pimp flower".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The internet is killing them.

Or is it because humans pollinate every blossom upping production 2 fold?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well, cross breed them with the Africanized bee's, and then
genetically cross them in a lab someplace (unsecured so that
they can escape) with those bastard wasps that seem to be
everywhere...and Tad-ah!!! Bee's.....everywhere!!!

Are you looking forward to August when hornet's are buzzing around radiators looking for grasshoppers to lay eggs in?