Truck inspection questioned after flying tire deaths

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Truck inspection questioned after flying tire deaths
By Terry Davidson, Toronto Sun
First posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 07:22 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, January 28, 2016 07:30 PM EST
When Ken Jacobs heard about the senior killed by a flying truck tire on a busy highway Wednesday, his thoughts turned to his best friend.

Diane Tsialtas, of Brampton, died Sept. 18 when a wheel from a moving dump truck flew off and struck the 49-year-old as she stood on a corner at Meadowvale Blvd. and Syntex Dr. in Mississauga.

“Everything is still very fresh, very raw. Diane was my best friend,” said Jacobs, who then thought of the family of Wednesday’s victim, a 69-year-old Burlington man who died after a flying truck tire slammed into the front of his SUV on Hwy. 400 near King Rd.

“I know that they are going through what we went through — and what we’re still going through.”

Then Jacobs felt anger. Anger towards truck drivers who don’t check their vehicles properly before hitting the road.

“A guy I know, he owns his own trucking company, and he said to me, ‘It’s way worse than you think,’” Jacobs told the Toronto Sun.

And wheels flying off trucks seems to be a growing problem.

According to the Ministry of Transportation, “reported wheel separations” on commercial vehicles increased in Ontario from 47 in 2010 to 127 in 2015.

OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said drivers must inspect their trucks daily.

“They have to (do an overall check) every day, and they have to put their hands on those wheels, on the fasteners, every single day and check to make sure they are tight.”

NDP transportation critic Wayne Gates said in a statement he has “serious concerns about the province’s commercial truck inspection program.”

“Unfortunately, this is not the first time such an incident has occurred on Ontario’s highways and roads,” Gates said.

Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca said keeping roads safe is his “No. 1 priority as transportation minister and it is why in response to recent truck-wheel incidents, MTO has launched Operation Wheel Check to remove unsafe trucks from the road.”

terry.davidson@sunmedia.ca
Truck inspection questioned after flying tire deaths | Toronto & GTA | News | To

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'm thinking Ontario should focus on some useful policy instead of trying to rake money from everything. They're just not all that clear about the course you're supposed to take to know if a wheel nut's tight - but is it like the air brake endorsement where you have to take the course and pay ten bucks extra with every licence renewal to write the same $10.00 multiple choice air brake questions over and over again - but you're not allowed to touch your own brakes? No matter how bitchy you get while overlooking the obvious, there are a certain lazy few who'll just get in, turn the key and go

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
As for automobiles this year there was an OPP on the radio saying that tires fly off those vehicles once they change from winter to summer tires and vice versa.

He suggested using a torque wrench after 3-500 kilometers to re-adjust the nuts.

I don't know about the big rigs as to why they fall off unless they too had wheels removed for some reason (brake job etc..) and weren't torqued after .....

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The chances of you avoiding a flying tire are slim at best as seen in this dash cam....

They see me rollin

Someone saw humor in that, tay........did you read the first comment below the vid?

'you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel'

As for automobiles this year there was an OPP on the radio saying that tires fly off those vehicles once they change from winter to summer tires and vice versa.

He suggested using a torque wrench after 3-500 kilometers to re-adjust the nuts.

I don't know about the big rigs as to why they fall off unless they too had wheels removed for some reason (brake job etc..) and weren't torqued after .....

I get my tires changed twice a year and the folks who look after that for me always hand me a reminder that I should come back after so many kms - can't remember how many - and have them checked. Always do and so far fine.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm thinking Ontario should focus on some useful policy instead of trying to rake money from everything. They're just not all that clear about the course you're supposed to take to know if a wheel nut's tight - but is it like the air brake endorsement where you have to take the course and pay ten bucks extra with every licence renewal to write the same $10.00 multiple choice air brake questions over and over again - but you're not allowed to touch your own brakes? No matter how bitchy you get while overlooking the obvious, there are a certain lazy few who'll just get in, turn the key and go

Air brake endorsement is only done once. When you renew your licence all endorsements get renewed as well.
There are some misconceptions about just what a pre trip involves as well. Drivers look at the wheel nuts but do not put a wrench on them. There have been numerous instances with double nuts having the inner nuts loose and the studs brake. This even happens with city bus fleets.