Goodwill closes 16 Ontario stores

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Goodwill closes 16 Ontario stores
By Maryam Shah, Toronto Sun
First posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 08:51 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, January 17, 2016 09:07 PM EST
In an unexpected move, Goodwill Industries announced Sunday it is temporarily shuttering 16 stores, 10 donation centres, and two offices, leaving hundreds of workers suddenly without a job.

"Due to a number of factors affecting the retail environment, Goodwill is facing a cash flow crisis," said Goodwill CEO Keiko Nakamura said in a statement.

Goodwill employees throughout the GTA showed up to work Sunday, only to find a signs stating their respective stores were closed "due to unforeseen circumstances," according to union lawyer Denis Ellickson.

Around 450 workers are represented by the Canadian Airport Workers Union.

Ellickson said they were all "kept in the dark" until late Sunday afternoon.

"The big question is 'Why?'" he said. "We always were under the belief that Goodwill had sufficient revenues to justify its operations, the size of its operations, so it has come as a bit of a shock and a complete surprise to all of us."

Nakamura called it a "tremendously difficult time," closing stores in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Newmarket, Barrie, Orillia and Brockville.

She promised to provide updates by noon Monday, through the company's website.

"Currently, this is a fluid situation and Goodwill is exploring a variety of options to continue its decades-long mission," she said. "Goodwill will be reaching out to the union, stakeholders and all levels of governments to bring clarity as soon as possible."

The announcement does not affect any other Goodwill business in Canada or the U.S.

A spokesman confirmed the board of directors has resigned. The future remains unclear for affected employees.

"They're without a job and there's no plans by this employer -- they have come up with no plan to find the cash or get the intervention from a third party that they need in order to open the stores," Ellickson said.

An Ottawa store was shut down at the end of December but with appropriate notice, he said.

"We can understand one store closing for not being profitable, but we certainly don't understand (that happening), especially in the Greater Toronto Area, and Barrie area. The stores are very well-supported," he said.

Goodwill has operated in Ontario for more than 80 years, with the aim of providing work opportunities and skills development to people facing barriers.
Goodwill closes 16 Ontario stores | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Appears to be a lot of skimming going on at the top......

Goodwill Industries of Toronto, Central and Northern Ontario reported total revenue in 2014 of just over $28 million and expenses of $29,218,954, according to the registered charity’s tax filings — which also show it received more than $4 million in government funding.

“It’s stunning to us that this happening because of the amount of revenue that they have either generated or received from various government levels,” Ellickson said.

The charity lists one employee as earning between $200,000 and $250,000 and another with a salary range of $120,000 to $150,000.

The employees are not named in the tax filings.

“It’s supposed be a charitable organization, but they are paid handsomely,” Ellickson said. “Some of those people who are now terminated are vulnerable individuals with disabilities who have been hired through these government sponsored programs.”

“It’s tragic for all of them,” Ellickson said. While the salary range for the workers is $11 to $27 an hour, most earn an average of $14.

The Star was unable to reach Nakamura for comment.

16 Ontario Goodwill stores shut down | Toronto Star

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Goodwill CEO classic case of 'failing upwards'

By Sue-Ann Levy, Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 09:59 PM EST | Updated: Monday, January 18, 2016 10:22 PM EST
At a brief 10-minute press conference Monday afternoon at Goodwill’s nearly-empty warehouse, CEO Keiko Nakamura told the media she was “thinking about” the 430 employees who suddenly found themselves out of work due to an apparent cash flow crisis.

“I’m doing everything I can to bring clarity to this situation as soon as possible... I humbly ask for your patience during this tremendously difficult time,” she said, her eyes welling up with crocodile tears.

I say crocodile tears because almost five years ago to the day, I saw the same pathetic performance from the same woman who refused to concede that she — as CEO, making upwards of $220,000 — had anything to do with the spending abuses at Toronto Community Housing Corp. (TCHC) which were so ably revealed in a scathing report from then Auditor-General Jeff Griffiths — even though she was part of the executive team when the abuses occurred.

At the time, she insisted she conducted herself “with complete integrity” and refused to resign, until forced out the door, to the self-righteous howls of indignation from leftist councillors, like Pam McConnell.

Nakamura walked out the door with a scandalous $320,000 severance package, revealed to me a year later by an incensed TCHC insider.

As often happens in the poverty industry — which tends to recycle the same questionably competent people for six-figure jobs — she landed on her feet a year later at Goodwill Industries, making virtually the same six-figure salary. She promptly seconded David Chu, son of Gordon Chu (who left TCHC just before the A-G’s report under heavy criticism for sole source deal from China) to work with her as vice-president of business services. Chu made $137,532 in 2014.

So pardon me if I suggest Nakamura is a classic case of failing upwards, considering that only the 16 Goodwill stores, 10 donation centres and two offices managed by her — and not any other operations in Ontario or beyond — find themselves closed due to what she characterized as a business model with “low margins and increasing competition” in the retail space.

She also mentioned that their occupancy costs are higher than what Goodwill operations pay in areas not under her control.

Never mind that all the product sold is donated, salary costs accounted for twice the occupancy costs and her operations got more than $4-million in government funding in 2014.

History has indeed repeated itself with Nakamura.

For one thing, like with TCHC, she has refused to resign, telling me when I asked that the board has given her “clear instructions” to “move forward” and she has a duty as CEO to do everything she can. When I suggested the board had resigned and weren’t in a position to run the show, she insisted they met and gave her “clear instructions ... on an intensive work plan.”

For someone who talked about “clarity,” she also refused to say whether she continues to collect her salary even though all other staff salaries were suspended as of last Saturday and severance payments are up in the air.

She did say Goodwill’s cash problems did not crop up Sunday and it had come to a point where they realized they couldn’t cover their costs that easily. But before she could offer any further explanation, she was shooed away by a consultant from Brown&Cohen Communications, a firm run by well-known Liberal Howard Cohen.

I did not get an answer, either, to my question on how much Brown&Cohen is being paid to stage manage Nakamura.

About Nakamura:

Years at TCHC: Five
Axed as TCHC CEO: March, 2011
Salary in 2010 as CEO: $220,500 (25% increase)
Severance given by TCHC after she was axed: $320,000 (included her bonus for 2011 and
Hired as CEO of Goodwill Industries for Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario: Spring of 2012
an education allowance)
Salary in 2012: $217,348
Salary in 2014: $230,538 (a 6% increase despite cash flow issues)
sue-ann.levy@sunmedia.ca
Goodwill CEO classic case of 'failing upwards' | LEVY | Toronto & GTA | News | T

Goodwill closures leave a mess
By Kevin Connor, Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 07:27 PM EST | Updated: Monday, January 18, 2016 10:33 PM EST
TORONTO - Financially-troubled Goodwill has left a mess.

Since shutting down 16 stores and 10 donations centres on Sunday, the locations have turned into dump sites.

“People are leaving things and there are no operations left to deal with them,” Tim Lai, of Goodwill, said Monday.

And the union for the hundreds of employees now out of work says it wishes the company had shown its staff some good will.

“We didn’t even get any advanced notice from the company,” complained Artan Milaj, of the Canadian Airport Workers Union.

On Sunday, employees showed up for work to find locked doors and signs saying they were out of a job.

“The 430 workers are suddenly without jobs, which is devastating on its own,” Milaj said.

There is no indication the employees will even receive severance pay as Goodwill Industries of Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario says it is broke.

“(Severance) is a process I will have to speak to various experts about,” CEO Keiko Nakamura said, adding the beginning of the year is a fiscally difficult time and the company didn’t want to ask employees to work when there is no cash flow.

“I’m examining all possible solutions. This will take some time.”

She gave no time frame if or when the company’s operations may resume.

The union is calling on the government and other stakeholders to fund the reopening of the stores.

“Goodwill stores also help a lot of low-income people with community programming and affordable shopping,” Milaj said. “We need to get these stores open and our members back on the job.”

kevin.connor@sunmedia.ca
Donations left outside a shuttered Goodwill drop-off location in Toronto on Monday January 18, 2016. (Kevin Connor/Toronto Sun)

Goodwill closures leave a mess | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
CEO says no paycheques for Goodwill staff
By Terry Davidson, Toronto Sun
First posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 07:25 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 08:17 PM EST
TORONTO - Former Goodwill employees worried sick about how they’ll pay their bills received a message from the CEO on Wednesday that was short on goodwill.

Hours after dozens of them gathered outside the charitable organization’s warehouse in Scarborough, they finally got an answer to the question on all their minds: Will they get paid Friday for the work they put in prior to the charity shuttering 16 stores and 10 donation centres in Ontario?

“To update the more than 430 people affected by the closures, despite our best efforts, employees will not be paid on Friday as part of the regular pay cycle,” CEO Keiko Nakamura said in a brief statement.

She said Goodwill will update the employees Monday about when they’ll get paid.

Moe Rutherford, a business representative with the Canadian Airport Workers Union (CAWU) and former Goodwill trucker, said most of the employees were earning “barely minimum wage.”

“(The employees) don’t know how they are going to pay for rent,” he said. “They don’t know how they are going to pay for food. They don’t know how they are going to pay for shelter.”

He said they also haven’t received the necessary paperwork to apply for employment insurance. Nakamura said that issue would also be addressed Monday.

Nakamura, who was fired as CEO of Toronto Community Housing Corp. in 2011 because of a spending scandal, said earlier this week she’d have to speak with “various experts” about severance pay for employees.

James Nickle, a union steward and Goodwill trucker, said he’s “p---ed” and demanded Nakamura step down.

“I have a woman here today ... she’s not going to be able to feed her family tonight,” he said. “If you can explain to me how something gets donated for free and you process it for whatever price, that you can’t make money, then ... there’s something wrong with your management skills.”

John Petti, 50, worked at the Scarborough warehouse for 31 years.

“Financially, I’m destroyed. I can’t pay my bills, I can’t buy food. I can’t do anything,” he said.

The CAWU announced Wednesday it’s “been in discussions with new investors who are interested in taking over operations” and it wants Goodwill to relinquish control of the charity.

Nakamura said Goodwill was forced to close the facilities because of a cash-flow crisis.

terry.davidson@sunmedia.ca
CEO says no paycheques for Goodwill staff | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Yes when I heard she got fired from the Toronto Community Housing Corp. (TCHC) for incompetency I was puzzled that Goodwill, or anyone, would hire her at such a high level.

To get fired from a government agency you must have really screwed up but she must have had friends at Goodwill.....

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Goodwill board members closed up shop and ran

First posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 08:10 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, January 21, 2016 08:15 PM EST
TORONTO - The 11-person board of the now-shuttered Goodwill Industries made their decision last Friday evening to abruptly shut shop — and then promptly ran for cover like cowardly rats deserting a sinking ship.

Despite the fact many of the 11 have been on the board for three or four years and several tout their financial credentials in their lengthy bios, they said in a statement posted on the Goodwill website Wednesday night that the entire board resigned because of “significant business challenges” and the need to “restructure retail store costs.”

Having wiped their hands clean of the entire affair — closing 16 Goodwill stores, 10 donation centres and two offices and leaving 430 people without jobs, their pay or severance — the board turned the whole mess over to CEO Keiko Nakamura to act both as CEO and her own board, as if they had no fiduciary duty whatsoever to protect Goodwill’s assets. In their statement, they call her a “capable and strong leader” whom they support to find and implement the “long-term solutions needed.”

Let’s not forget that Nakamura came to Goodwill sometime late in 2011 or early 2012 after being forced out the door as the $220,000 CEO of Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC).

At the time, she refused to acknowledge she’d had any part in the spending abuses revealed in a report from then-auditor general Jeff Griffiths. The report didn’t single her out, but she was part of the TCHC executive team when the abuses took place.

In 2012, after she’d landed at Goodwill, an insider revealed Nakamura had been handed a $320,000 severance from TCHC.

In 2014, as Goodwill’s cash woes continued, Nakamura was handed a 6% pay hike, bringing her salary up to $230,538.

(PR consultant Tim Lai of the Liberal firm Brown & Cohen reported Thursday Nakamura is not collecting her salary at the moment.)

Still, if this is not a shameless example of how those who purport to run the poverty industry treat the downtrodden — with absolute disdain and a complete lack of “goodwill” — I don’t know what is.

I tried for two days to reach every member of the board for comment, most particularly former chairman Michael Eubanks, an LCBO exec. An assistant to Eubanks informed me Thursday that only the PR consultant hired by the board would be speaking.

Board treasurer and corporate lawyer Mark Trachuk accused me of trying to “threaten” him for requesting comment. Former CBCer Jim Curran said his “observation with my questions” on Monday “encouraged” him to make no comment.

“Answers will eventually come,” he said.

To add insult to injury, the entire Goodwill website was wiped clean of all financials, audits, annual reports, agendas, minutes and names of staff and board members — leading one to wonder whether last weekend was spent trying to cover up records of Nakamura’s and the board’s management of the company’s funds.

Alissa Von Bargen, spokesman for Community and Social Services Minister Helena Jaczek, whose ministry gave Goodwill $1.7 million in 2015, said they’ve been in contact with Goodwill and are working with developmentally disabled individuals supported by employment programs they fund to “find alternative supports” for them.

Belinda Bien of the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities said they provided $1.99 million to three employment programs in 2015 and are focused on ensuring a “continuity of services” for all clients served by their programs, as well as employment and training supports to “all impacted Goodwill employees.”

And what about Nakamura? She should resign. But she won’t, unless forced out.

Given that no one is running the show at Goodwill but her at the moment, I wouldn’t be surprised if she votes herself a healthy severance first.

THE GOODWILL BOARD THAT RAN FOR COVER:

Chairman Michael Eubanks (joined board 2012): Senior vice-president IT with LCBO
Vice-chairman Michael Levitt (joined 2012): Executive director Humber River Family Health Team
Treasurer Mark Trachuk (joined 2013): Partner in corporate and securities law with Osler
Yazdi Bharucha (joined 2012): Chartered accountant (retired). Bio includes a decade as chief financial officer of one of Canada’s most successful real estate investment trusts.
Jim Curran (joined 2010): Former CBC Metro Morning traffic reporter
Christine Hart (joined 2010): Lawyer and mediator
Amy Hosotsuji (joined 2013): Project manager, event planner, facilitator, social change-maker
Kelly Juhasz: Founder and president of The Knowledge Transfer Company
Amin Retulla (joined 2013): Chief information officer at Trillium Gift of Life Network
David Wai: Director of plan design and policy at Ontario Retirement Pension Plan Secretariat
Alex Kjorven: Head of the applied innovation practice at Purpose Capital.
* Past chairman in 2011-12 when Keiko Nakamura hired: Joan Green, former Toronto school board education director and CEO of the Education Quality and Accountability Office.

* Excerpt of message from Joan and Keiko in 2012 Goodwill annual report: “Another key focus last year was ensuring that we continued to move Goodwill down the road to financial sustainability, and we are happy to report that we have made great strides during this year.”

* Junket attended by Keiko, Joan and Dennis Green in Miami in June 2012: Social Enterprise in Action. Junket activities available to attendees included everglades and airboat ride, South Beach overview, Miami Night beach party, tour of Vizcaya Mansions, full-day excursion to Key West, golf at the Miami Beach Golf Club.

* Total revenues in 2014: $28 million

* Total expenditures: $29.2 million (includes $17.3 million in salaries and $8.1 million in rent).

sue-ann.levy@sunmedia.ca
Goodwill board members closed up shop and ran | Levy | Ontario | News | Toronto

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Goodwill workers get their money
First posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 08:32 AM EST | Updated: Friday, January 22, 2016 06:41 PM EST
TORONTO - Cash-strapped Goodwill managed to pay more than 430 former employees, but will need some charity if it’s ever going to reopen its doors.

Keiko Nakamura, head of Goodwill Industries of Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario, said workers received their paycheques Friday following the abrupt closure of 16 stores, 10 donation centres and two offices five days earlier.

The laid-off workers, many worried sick about how they’ll pay their bills, were originally told they wouldn’t get their money on Friday, their regular payday.

“I regret the concern, anxiety and frustration the staff of Goodwill has experienced,” Nakamura said in a statement.

The former employees also learned they can expect records of employment to be mailed out next week, so they can apply for employment insurance.

Nakamura said she’s seeking “the necessary support and alliances” to keep Goodwill alive.

“I believe that possibilities for transformation and renewal of the organization will be explored with individuals and groups who value the contribution Goodwill makes to the communities it serves,” she said.

Denis Ellickson, lawyer for the Canadian Airport Workers Union, which represents 380 Goodwill employees, declined to comment on Nakamura’s plea for further support.

The entire board of directors of Goodwill — except for Nakamura — resigned Friday, leading to the announcement of the indefinite closure.

“I’m not the appropriate one to speculate or give my thoughts on that,” he said.

He described the workers getting paid as “a bright moment in what’s been a very dark week” for these people.

“The second step is getting the stores reopened and getting the employees back to work. That’s likely to be a greater challenge than meeting payroll,” Ellickson said.

The employees were paid for their work up to and including Jan. 16 — the day before Goodwill shuttered locations in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Newmarket, Barrie, Orillia and Brockville. It remains unclear whether the employees will receive severance pay. The deadline for workers to file a grievance against the company is Tuesday. No grievances have been filed to date, Ellickson said.

A Toronto-based food rescue organization is providing its own version of goodwill.

Second Harvest, working with the Canadian Airport Workers Union, will distribute care packages Saturday morning to hundreds of Goodwill employees who lost their jobs this week.

“This is a compassionate thing to do and it totally aligns with our mission,” executive director Debra Lawson said. “The need is obvious: workers will be wondering where their next meal is coming from. This is what we do, every day. We feed people experiencing hunger.”

Second Harvest rescues fresh, surplus food that would otherwise go into the garbage or compost, and delivers it to more than 220 social service agencies in Toronto.

Around 9 a.m., two Second Harvest trucks are scheduled to drop off 400 food packages to CAWU representatives at 15 Goodwill locations across southern Ontario, including Brampton, Newmarket, Orillia, Barrie, Toronto and Mississauga. The union reps will then distribute the food to their members.

Each package contains approximately 22.6 kg of fresh produce, such carrots, peppers, cucumbers, apples, and lettuce; frozen food, including meat and prepared meals; dairy and staples, such as flour, rice, soup and pasta.
Goodwill workers get their money | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Goodwill workers given helping hand
By Kevin Connor, Toronto Sun
First posted: Saturday, January 23, 2016 11:43 AM EST | Updated: Saturday, January 23, 2016 12:13 PM EST
TORONTO - Laid off Goodwill employee Gail Kadri now has enough food for the week but doesn’t know where to turn when that runs out.

On Saturday, Kadri was one of the more than 400 ex-Goodwill employees who received a 50-pound food box from the food rescue charity Second Harvest.

“These groceries will help feed me for a while. I have no savings and don’t know how I’m going to pay my rent,” Kadri said while collecting her food box at the Scarborough Goodwill distribution centre where she worked for 20 years.

“It’s very sad to be here today. We were one happy family.”

Kadri, like many of her minimum wage co-workers, was “flabbergasted” when Goodwill shut down operations last Sunday without warning.

Goodwill paid the employees the wages they were owed on Friday, but that was in question for most of the week.

“Nobody was prepared for this. EI (Employment Insurance) isn’t a full income and there are a lot of ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program) workers who can’t get their medication anymore because they don’t have benefits,” Kadri said.

Jasmattie MacLaughlin was a dock worker at the Scarborough distribution centre and dreads the day will soon come when she has to start borrowing from family and friends.

“I’m a little better off because I have a spouse that works, but we will only manage for so long. It’s not like you can tell hydro you can’t pay them because your company closed,” MacLaughlin said.

“I just want the company to reopen so I can pay my bills.”

Second Harvest, with the help of the Canadian Airport Workers Union, were at 15 Goodwill locations in the GTA on Saturday delivering the food boxes, which included fresh produce, frozen meat, soup and pasta.

“The need is obvious. Workers are wondering where their next meal is coming from. Fortunately, we have the trucks and food donors for this cause. Goodwill employees helped people with barriers and they are the working poor, living paycheque to paycheque,” said Debra Lawson, executive director of Second Harvest.

“It puts a pit in your stomach that this is going to happen to another organization.”

kevin.connor@sunmedia.ca
Goodwill workers given helping hand | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Goodwill dysfunction leading up to closure: Staffer

First posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 07:45 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, January 28, 2016 08:12 PM EST
TORONTO - Throughout the 15 months she worked at the now defunct Goodwill Industries of Toronto, Central, Eastern and Northern Ontario, Mary Stinson felt as if she was on the Titanic being steered through glacier-ridden waters.

Since Goodwill went down two weeks ago — leaving 430 employees without jobs, severance, vacation pay and knowing little about what happens to their pension plan contributions — Stinson says staff are left feeling the board and CEO Keiko Nakamura “abandoned ship” without the slightest bit of empathy.

In a lengthy interview this week, Stinson, a former office manager at Goodwill’s head office on Progress Ave., says she never before experienced the kind of “negative energy” and the constant activity, meetings and changes in job responsibilities that rarely seemed to lead to much.

“Often times at Goodwill there was just a lot of activity (and) no real solid communication about what’s really happening here or there,” said Stinson, who worked for Vision TV for 20 years until Zoomer Media took over and downsized.

“I never truly got a handle on the bigger picture on the kinds of things they were doing.”

She said it made her “head spin” the number of times the organization was restructured. Make-work projects would commence, she said, and when they didn’t go anywhere, there was “never any explanation” as to why.

“Job descriptions were always fluid,” Stinson said, noting her duties were changed four times from executive assistant to overseeing facilities to receptionist to office manager.

“There were constant changes going on ... you never felt settled anywhere.”

She said part of the problem was that Nakamura chose not to work out of head office but at a storage facility on Midwest Rd., about 10 minutes away from HQ.

When she became office manager at HQ last July, Stinson said she started to find it really bizarre that utilities and suppliers were constantly calling about arrears — and that was treated as business as usual.

“I didn’t feel very safe and secure in that environment,” she said.

What she did notice when she handled payroll was that different government and other funding streams were “always being juggled” to pay for staff.

“One time one staff person would appear under program development and another time under something else and there was no rhyme or reason to it,” says Stinson. “I’d ask questions and would never get a solid answer on things.”

She never in her time there got a firm idea of how the government grants handed to Goodwill were divvied up.

“I think they just moved the money around,” she said. “There was some very unusual bookkeeping being done.”

While she in no way suggests the money has been misappropriated, it was nevertheless always a mystery to her how the funding and cheques coming in were being monitored either by the senior brass or by the government to ensure it was being used properly.

“I always wondered where are the checks and balances on this and on staff?” she said.

Stinson was so shocked with the way employees were treated — no one saw the closure coming, including her — she wrote an editorial entitled “Lack of Good Will” which she’s posted on LinkedIn and Facebook.

“I will recover from this but a lot of these folk will not and that is where my heart lies,” she said. “I felt really terrible (for them.)”

Repeated efforts to reach Nakamura through her new PR firm Strategy Corp., headed by former principal secretary to Dalton McGuinty David McNaughton, were unsuccessful.

I sent a list of questions to Strategy Corp. associate Emily Naddaf but did not get a response before my deadline.

MARY STINSON SPEAKS OUT

ON THE SECRECY: “Often times at Goodwill there was just a lot of activity going on ... meetings and what not, but I always felt I never truly got a handle on the bigger picture and on the kinds of things they were doing.”

ON THE STRUCTURE: “The weird thing about this organization was there was constant changes ... I never knew what people would be doing ... It made my head spin.“

ON THE WORK DONE: “There was a lot of make-work stuff that was going on.”

ON FISCAL MANAGEMENT: “I’ve never worked in a place where I’ve received so many calls from suppliers saying I’m not delivering supplies because you guys owe me too much money.”

“I think they just moved the money around ... there was some very unusual bookkeeping being done.”

“There was a lot of funding, money coming in, they’d apply for things ... and cheques would come in ... I could never understand how do they monitor this stuff.”

ON SUDDENLY LOSING HER JOB: “I worked right up until the Friday (before the Sunday shutdown). I had no clue anything was going on.”

sue-ann.levy@sunmedia.ca
Former Goodwill office manager Mary Stinson is pictured in this undated handout photo.

http://linkedin.com/pulse/lack-good...33#comments-6097795913110085633&trk=prof-post
Goodwill dysfunction leading up to closure: Staffer | Levy | Toronto & GTA | New

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Our local Goodwill in Oakville is still open and operating. I'm not sure why but it is clearly a good thing.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Goodwill's woes not due to lack of revenue

First posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 03:52 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, February 07, 2016 03:59 PM EST
TORONTO - Amid crocodile tears, Keiko Nakamura — CEO for Goodwill of Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario (TECNO) — claimed last month that a “cash flow crisis” forced her operation to shut down and put 430 people out of work.
She said Goodwill was strapped for donations and suffering under the weight of high GTA rents.
Now they don’t even have a name. Late Friday, Goodwill International issued a statement indicating they decided to disaffiliate Goodwill TECNO from membership — noting the shuttering of 16 stores and 10 donation centres and the board’s decision to resign amounted to “egregious acts.”
After trying to reach Nakamura for days, she sent me an e-mail late Friday indicating she can’t talk because the Goodwill International decision “changes the landscape.”
If Nakamura’s operation was indeed strapped for cash, according to a Toronto Sun investigation, it wasn’t due to a lack of revenue or a lack of donations, or even a lack of affordable space.
Footage provided to the Sun from early January shows their 21,000-square-foot Midwest Rd. warehouse packed to the rafters with skids of donations. Minutes of Goodwill’s Community Partnership and Engagement Committee from last March indicate they were the “partner of choice” with the City of Toronto’s Environment days and had just signed a deal with 1-800-GOTJUNK in the GTA to divert “usable” items to their drop-off depots.
According to information provided by Noelle Broughton, of Peel Region, for at least 10 years, Goodwill has operated the reuse store at Chrysler Dr. in Brampton as well as three other drop-off sites. Boughton indicated that over a 10-year period, Peel Region received approximately $33,000 (or about $3,000 per year) from Goodwill for use of the four locations.
A Goodwill insider says Nakamura hired Gladys Okine away from Toronto Community Housing Corp. to act as the organization’s unofficial grant-getter and go after “every free dollar that exists.”
In addition to grants, totalling $1.7 million from the Ministry of Community and Social Services, and nearly $2 million from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Goodwill accessed money from the Ontario Trillium Foundation and the George Cedric Metcalf Foundation, a private family foundation.
Adriana Beemans, of the Metcalf Foundation, confirmed they approved a $97,481 grant to Goodwill over two years “to increase the employability prospects of low-income workers through the design and implementation of sector specific career ladders.”
She said the first portion, or $65,941, was released in 2015 but the remainder of the funds will not be released due to Goodwill’s current status.
“We have not as yet managed to reach anyone at Goodwill to discuss the situation,” she said.
Goodwill’s grant from the Trillium Foundation was $132,700, awarded over 24 months “to develop and implement a volunteer service program,” says spokesman Ana Ariyadasa.
She says all the funds were disbursed as of May of last year and last summer “everything was fine” — that Goodwill reported 255 people as having “enhanced capacity of increased health and well-being” and 296 people “felt more connected to their community” as a result of the money given to them by Trillium (whatever the heck that means.)
Ariyadasa says the final report was due to be submitted by Goodwill on Jan. 25 and they have “contacted Goodwill on several occasions but have not heard back from them.”
RENEW THE GOOD
The effort is called Renew The Good.
But for those who have donated cash to help the 430 people left without a job or severance when Goodwill shut its doors on Jan. 18, will it be a case of throwing good money after bad?
According to the Renew the Good effort website, some 148 people have contributed a total of $104,575.
But it’s anybody’s guess which employees will actually get the money — and who decides on the lucky recipients.
After sending questions to an anonymous e-mail address last week, I learned that Renew The Good is being managed by 15 former Goodwill management employees headed up by the senior director of donations, Gladys Okine.
Okine started her own non-profit foundation in 2010 called Sesheme, whose website was wiped clean on Jan. 16 — three days before all information on Goodwill’s website was removed, never to be found.
Sesheme is not a registered charity with the Canada Revenue Agency. It is just one of nearly 60,000 non-profit corporations governed by the Ontario Corporations Act.
The anonymous e-mail address indicated that the trustee and advisor for Renew the Good is the Working Women Community Centre. There was no indication the trustee is a lawyer.
Mary Stinson, who worked as Okine’s executive assistant for 10 months, said her boss expected all of her employees to follow the rules when it came to filing expenses or obtaining cash advances, but never stuck to them herself.
For example, says Stinson, contrary to protocol — which stipulated that all expenses be documented and submitted to accounting for reimbursement — Okine was constantly dipping into the petty cash box (which contained $1,500) for cash to cover her meal expenses and for money to go to the U.S., where she was taking an MBA at the University of Phoenix on a Goodwill International scholarship program. Stinson said even though Okine provided invoices, the petty cash box was to be used for “sundry expenses” only.
Repeated efforts to reach Okine through Strategy Corp. public relations consultant Emily Naddaf and through Renew the Good were unsuccessful.
But according to an e-mail from Okine to selected former Goodwill employees, obtained by the Toronto Sun, the plan is to distribute the Renew the Good funds — starting the week of Feb. 8.
Okine indicates 40% of the money will go to supported employees (those with development or other disabilities), 5% to self-referred individuals with “hardships” and 45% to part-time and full-time staff “based on demonstrated need.”
She didn’t indicate who would get the remaining 10%.
Asked whether it was a conflict of interest for Okine to be running Renew the Good — given that she operates her own foundation — the anonymous Team Renew respondent indicated that the unnamed trustee and the unnamed members of Team Renew do not believe there is a conflict.
“The aims of Sesheme and Renew the Good are not incompatible ... And no team member has independent decision making authority,” the unnamed respondent said.
POVERTY INDUSTRY'S REVOLVING DOOR
The ties between TCHC and Goodwill Industries of Toronto run deep. Here is a list of staff who have worked at both TCHC and Goodwill in the past 10 years and their jobs:
Keiko Nakamura
  • TCHC: 2006-2011, COO and CEO
  • Goodwill Industries: Late 2011-2016, CEO
Gladys Okine
  • TCHC: 2007-2012, manager of community economic development
  • Goodwill Industries: 2012-present, senior director, mission advancement/donations and donor relations
Mitzie Hunter (MPP)
  • Goodwill Industries: 2002-2009, v-p external relations and corporate secretary
  • TCHC: 2009-early 2012, CAO
Len Koroneos
  • TCHC: 2010-2012, CFO and acting CEO (left with a $461Gs-$600Gs package)
  • Goodwill: July 2015-present, consulting services
Louisa Muffo-Magalhaes
  • TCHC: 2002-early 2013, human resources consultant
  • Goodwill: Early 2013-present, manager, HR and organizational development
Steve Curic
  • TCHC: 2013-2014, HR associate
  • Goodwill: 2014-present, senior adviser, HR
Jaemar Ivey
  • TCHC: 2014-2015, admin assistant to director, resident access and support
  • Goodwill: March-September 2015, co-ordinator people strategy
  • TCHC: 2015-present, tenant services co-ordinator
Rajesh Kanhai
  • TCHC: 2008-2010, manager community engagement
  • Goodwill: September 2014-present, director strategy and operational effectiveness
Julet Allen
  • TCHC: 1998-2013, youth specialist, children and youth manager, community health manager
  • Goodwill: 2014-present, clinical case manager
David Chu
  • Housing Services Corporation: 2004-2012 director, operations and CFO (While at HSC, David’s father, Gordon, worked with Keiko Nakamura at TCHC)
  • Goodwill: 2012-2015, vice-president business services
sue-ann.levy@sunmedia.ca
Goodwill's woes not due to lack of revenue | Levy | Toronto & GTA | News | Toron

2014 report raved about Goodwill TECNO
First posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 04:02 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, February 07, 2016 06:29 PM EST
TORONTO - She came in for a little more than one day from Goodwill Industries International and left with an armful of parting gifts, sources say.
When all was said and done, Margaret O’Brien, senior director of organizational strengthening and accreditation, gave Goodwill Industries of Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario (TECNO) a glowing report.
According to the 13-page December 2014 report, obtained by the Toronto Sun, CEO Keiko Nakamura’s Goodwill operation met 100% of the qualifying standards, 94.3% of the scored standards and was recertified for another three years to the end of 2018.
In that report, O’Brien raved that there is an organizational code of ethics in place, that monthly financial reports are generated; that the organization had demonstrated “commitment to good human resources practices”; and that programs “appear to be adequately staffed and supervised.”
Yet, late Friday, following numerous attempts to get a statement from Goodwill International, Beth Perell, vice-president of communications and information management, sent word that the board decided to disaffiliate from Goodwill TECNO.
A Goodwill insider, who was there during the review, says the certification process is highly “detailed,” comprising 120 pages of guidelines. Yet “she didn’t go through” the checks and balances as one should, the source said, meeting only with seven top brass. She did not talk to employees on the floor or check any employee files, which “were a total mess” (half of them missing and others out of date).
The source says stores O’Brien visited were “preselected” by Nakamura and “staged” so they were full of new goods and fully staffed.
“There were areas that we actually failed and Margaret (O’Brien) could have stopped them (the Goodwill brass) then,” the source said.
The source said O’Brien left by taxi to the airport with three bags of goodies in tow, one of the gifts a bottle of Crown Royal “pulled out and shown to her.” Staff were led to believe they were for her retirement, the source said.
When I first reached O’Brien by phone in Rockville, Maryland, last week, she tried to send me to a public relations person, after which the line went dead. After sending her two e-mails, Perell wrote back indicating the review only addressed “program processes and delivery,” not Goodwill’s finances, and the names of those O’Brien interviewed can’t be shared “for privacy” reasons.
Perell said O’Brien only left with a “small bottle of ice wine and a T-shirt” as souvenirs of her visit to Ontario.
2014 report raved about Goodwill TECNO | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Goodwill's woes not due to lack of revenue

First posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 03:52 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, February 07, 2016 03:59 PM EST
TORONTO - Amid crocodile tears, Keiko Nakamura — CEO for Goodwill of Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario (TECNO) — claimed last month that a “cash flow crisis” forced her operation to shut down and put 430 people out of work.
She said Goodwill was strapped for donations and suffering under the weight of high GTA rents.
Now they don’t even have a name. Late Friday, Goodwill International issued a statement indicating they decided to disaffiliate Goodwill TECNO from membership — noting the shuttering of 16 stores and 10 donation centres and the board’s decision to resign amounted to “egregious acts.”
After trying to reach Nakamura for days, she sent me an e-mail late Friday indicating she can’t talk because the Goodwill International decision “changes the landscape.”
If Nakamura’s operation was indeed strapped for cash, according to a Toronto Sun investigation, it wasn’t due to a lack of revenue or a lack of donations, or even a lack of affordable space.
Footage provided to the Sun from early January shows their 21,000-square-foot Midwest Rd. warehouse packed to the rafters with skids of donations. Minutes of Goodwill’s Community Partnership and Engagement Committee from last March indicate they were the “partner of choice” with the City of Toronto’s Environment days and had just signed a deal with 1-800-GOTJUNK in the GTA to divert “usable” items to their drop-off depots.
According to information provided by Noelle Broughton, of Peel Region, for at least 10 years, Goodwill has operated the reuse store at Chrysler Dr. in Brampton as well as three other drop-off sites. Boughton indicated that over a 10-year period, Peel Region received approximately $33,000 (or about $3,000 per year) from Goodwill for use of the four locations.
A Goodwill insider says Nakamura hired Gladys Okine away from Toronto Community Housing Corp. to act as the organization’s unofficial grant-getter and go after “every free dollar that exists.”
In addition to grants, totalling $1.7 million from the Ministry of Community and Social Services, and nearly $2 million from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Goodwill accessed money from the Ontario Trillium Foundation and the George Cedric Metcalf Foundation, a private family foundation.
Adriana Beemans, of the Metcalf Foundation, confirmed they approved a $97,481 grant to Goodwill over two years “to increase the employability prospects of low-income workers through the design and implementation of sector specific career ladders.”
She said the first portion, or $65,941, was released in 2015 but the remainder of the funds will not be released due to Goodwill’s current status.
“We have not as yet managed to reach anyone at Goodwill to discuss the situation,” she said.
Goodwill’s grant from the Trillium Foundation was $132,700, awarded over 24 months “to develop and implement a volunteer service program,” says spokesman Ana Ariyadasa.
She says all the funds were disbursed as of May of last year and last summer “everything was fine” — that Goodwill reported 255 people as having “enhanced capacity of increased health and well-being” and 296 people “felt more connected to their community” as a result of the money given to them by Trillium (whatever the heck that means.)
Ariyadasa says the final report was due to be submitted by Goodwill on Jan. 25 and they have “contacted Goodwill on several occasions but have not heard back from them.”
RENEW THE GOOD
The effort is called Renew The Good.
But for those who have donated cash to help the 430 people left without a job or severance when Goodwill shut its doors on Jan. 18, will it be a case of throwing good money after bad?
According to the Renew the Good effort website, some 148 people have contributed a total of $104,575.
But it’s anybody’s guess which employees will actually get the money — and who decides on the lucky recipients.
After sending questions to an anonymous e-mail address last week, I learned that Renew The Good is being managed by 15 former Goodwill management employees headed up by the senior director of donations, Gladys Okine.
Okine started her own non-profit foundation in 2010 called Sesheme, whose website was wiped clean on Jan. 16 — three days before all information on Goodwill’s website was removed, never to be found.
Sesheme is not a registered charity with the Canada Revenue Agency. It is just one of nearly 60,000 non-profit corporations governed by the Ontario Corporations Act.
The anonymous e-mail address indicated that the trustee and advisor for Renew the Good is the Working Women Community Centre. There was no indication the trustee is a lawyer.
Mary Stinson, who worked as Okine’s executive assistant for 10 months, said her boss expected all of her employees to follow the rules when it came to filing expenses or obtaining cash advances, but never stuck to them herself.
For example, says Stinson, contrary to protocol — which stipulated that all expenses be documented and submitted to accounting for reimbursement — Okine was constantly dipping into the petty cash box (which contained $1,500) for cash to cover her meal expenses and for money to go to the U.S., where she was taking an MBA at the University of Phoenix on a Goodwill International scholarship program. Stinson said even though Okine provided invoices, the petty cash box was to be used for “sundry expenses” only.
Repeated efforts to reach Okine through Strategy Corp. public relations consultant Emily Naddaf and through Renew the Good were unsuccessful.
But according to an e-mail from Okine to selected former Goodwill employees, obtained by the Toronto Sun, the plan is to distribute the Renew the Good funds — starting the week of Feb. 8.
Okine indicates 40% of the money will go to supported employees (those with development or other disabilities), 5% to self-referred individuals with “hardships” and 45% to part-time and full-time staff “based on demonstrated need.”
She didn’t indicate who would get the remaining 10%.
Asked whether it was a conflict of interest for Okine to be running Renew the Good — given that she operates her own foundation — the anonymous Team Renew respondent indicated that the unnamed trustee and the unnamed members of Team Renew do not believe there is a conflict.
“The aims of Sesheme and Renew the Good are not incompatible ... And no team member has independent decision making authority,” the unnamed respondent said.
POVERTY INDUSTRY'S REVOLVING DOOR
The ties between TCHC and Goodwill Industries of Toronto run deep. Here is a list of staff who have worked at both TCHC and Goodwill in the past 10 years and their jobs:
Keiko Nakamura
  • TCHC: 2006-2011, COO and CEO
  • Goodwill Industries: Late 2011-2016, CEO
Gladys Okine
  • TCHC: 2007-2012, manager of community economic development
  • Goodwill Industries: 2012-present, senior director, mission advancement/donations and donor relations
Mitzie Hunter (MPP)
  • Goodwill Industries: 2002-2009, v-p external relations and corporate secretary
  • TCHC: 2009-early 2012, CAO
Len Koroneos
  • TCHC: 2010-2012, CFO and acting CEO (left with a $461Gs-$600Gs package)
  • Goodwill: July 2015-present, consulting services
Louisa Muffo-Magalhaes
  • TCHC: 2002-early 2013, human resources consultant
  • Goodwill: Early 2013-present, manager, HR and organizational development
Steve Curic
  • TCHC: 2013-2014, HR associate
  • Goodwill: 2014-present, senior adviser, HR
Jaemar Ivey
  • TCHC: 2014-2015, admin assistant to director, resident access and support
  • Goodwill: March-September 2015, co-ordinator people strategy
  • TCHC: 2015-present, tenant services co-ordinator
Rajesh Kanhai
  • TCHC: 2008-2010, manager community engagement
  • Goodwill: September 2014-present, director strategy and operational effectiveness
Julet Allen
  • TCHC: 1998-2013, youth specialist, children and youth manager, community health manager
  • Goodwill: 2014-present, clinical case manager
David Chu
  • Housing Services Corporation: 2004-2012 director, operations and CFO (While at HSC, David’s father, Gordon, worked with Keiko Nakamura at TCHC)
  • Goodwill: 2012-2015, vice-president business services
sue-ann.levy@sunmedia.ca
Goodwill's woes not due to lack of revenue | Levy | Toronto & GTA | News | Toron

2014 report raved about Goodwill TECNO
First posted: Sunday, February 07, 2016 04:02 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, February 07, 2016 06:29 PM EST
TORONTO - She came in for a little more than one day from Goodwill Industries International and left with an armful of parting gifts, sources say.
When all was said and done, Margaret O’Brien, senior director of organizational strengthening and accreditation, gave Goodwill Industries of Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario (TECNO) a glowing report.
According to the 13-page December 2014 report, obtained by the Toronto Sun, CEO Keiko Nakamura’s Goodwill operation met 100% of the qualifying standards, 94.3% of the scored standards and was recertified for another three years to the end of 2018.
In that report, O’Brien raved that there is an organizational code of ethics in place, that monthly financial reports are generated; that the organization had demonstrated “commitment to good human resources practices”; and that programs “appear to be adequately staffed and supervised.”
Yet, late Friday, following numerous attempts to get a statement from Goodwill International, Beth Perell, vice-president of communications and information management, sent word that the board decided to disaffiliate from Goodwill TECNO.
A Goodwill insider, who was there during the review, says the certification process is highly “detailed,” comprising 120 pages of guidelines. Yet “she didn’t go through” the checks and balances as one should, the source said, meeting only with seven top brass. She did not talk to employees on the floor or check any employee files, which “were a total mess” (half of them missing and others out of date).
The source says stores O’Brien visited were “preselected” by Nakamura and “staged” so they were full of new goods and fully staffed.
“There were areas that we actually failed and Margaret (O’Brien) could have stopped them (the Goodwill brass) then,” the source said.
The source said O’Brien left by taxi to the airport with three bags of goodies in tow, one of the gifts a bottle of Crown Royal “pulled out and shown to her.” Staff were led to believe they were for her retirement, the source said.
When I first reached O’Brien by phone in Rockville, Maryland, last week, she tried to send me to a public relations person, after which the line went dead. After sending her two e-mails, Perell wrote back indicating the review only addressed “program processes and delivery,” not Goodwill’s finances, and the names of those O’Brien interviewed can’t be shared “for privacy” reasons.
Perell said O’Brien only left with a “small bottle of ice wine and a T-shirt” as souvenirs of her visit to Ontario.
2014 report raved about Goodwill TECNO | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun
Liberals all.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The Sally Ann will get the clothes end and the dollar stores will do the 'hardware'. Who is is going to fill the empty stores. Games network with responsive VR chairs and games that use local maps, ie race from Edmonton to Calgary on a track that is accurate to the tar strips if that is selected. $1/min. Another map could have you bombing those two cities from a rebel base on top of the Caribou Mountain Plateau. Plug and play systems exist today.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ministry handed Goodwill $7.5M seemingly without question

First posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 08:48 PM EDT | Updated: Sunday, June 19, 2016 09:24 PM EDT
TORONTO - A provincial ministry that gave now-bankrupt Goodwill more than $7.5 million in funding over four years appeared to hand over the money without question even though the agency did not meet its targets, documents provided to the Toronto Sun suggest.

The documents, obtained through a Freedom of Information request to the ministry of training, colleges and universities (MTCU), show that Goodwill Industries of Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario (TECNO) only managed to deliver job training to 55% of the 1,300 clients it was contracted to serve for the nearly $2 million in grants it got in 2015-16.

When Goodwill closed its doors on Jan. 18, it only had an active caseload of 330 clients, the documents say.

While the numbers were better in 2014-15, Goodwill did not meet its contracted targets that year either.

There was no information provided on how many clients were served in 2012 and 2013.

The briefing documents, prepared for the minister and senior ministry staff, do not explicitly say MTCU officials were caught by surprise when Goodwill TECNO shut its doors and subsequently filed for bankruptcy on Feb. 29.

However, the documents seem to suggest officials had no advance knowledge of financial issues, considering the ministry “flowed approximately $300,000 in January” for the agency’s Employment Ontario programs.

MTCU is now trying to recoup the $300,000 through the bankruptcy trustee, a ministry spokesman confirmed Friday.

The documents also outline the lengths ministry officials say they went to to monitor the funding through their “Employment Service Accountability Framework.” They also provide assurances that their monitoring process “did not identify any issues” with Goodwill’s handling of their employment training programs.

However, in a section on what ministry officials did to help those employees who lost their jobs, the documents indicate that the ministry kept trying Goodwill’s Toronto number on Jan. 18 (the day of the closure) and no one answered.

Ministry staff, according to the documents, also tried the U.S. Goodwill office only to find it was Martin Luther King Day and the office was closed.

“By 11:12 a.m., the ministry had tried to contact the employer three times since 7:30 a.m.,” the FOI documents say. A Goodwill director in Scarborough was finally reached that afternoon, the documents add.

MTCU spokesman Heather Irwin blamed the abrupt mid-January closure, saying that it had a “large impact” on Goodwill not achieving its contracted 2015-16 targets. Irwin said the fiscal year runs until end of March and claimed “they would have been close to being on track to achieving their target” by that time.

Irwin also reiterated that Goodwill TECNO was monitored “under a range of accountability frameworks” and no issues were identified with the administration of the ministry grants.

However, she did note that under one of three ministry programs handled by Goodwill, 12 employers were not paid and as of May 31, “notarized affidavits were used to verify employer statements of being underpaid.”

GOODWILL HR MANAGER 'ENFORCER'

She followed former Goodwill CEO Keiko Nakamura from Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC) and became what Goodwill insiders claim was the “enforcer” in a work atmosphere that was rife with intimidation.

The insiders, who spoke with the Toronto Sun last week on condition of anonymity, say while Nakamura was rarely seen, Goodwill’s manager of human resources and organizational development, Luisa Muffo-Magalhaes, was the go-to person for employees and apparently rarely, if ever, agreed to settle employee grievances, even over the most minor concern.

Muffo-Magalhaes came to Goodwill in January 2013 after 11 years at TCHC. On her LinkedIn profile, she describes herself as a “natural collaborator that has built strong strategic relationships with all levels of management and union officials.”

But the former employees I spoke to painted quite the opposite picture — that the human resources staff over which Muffo-Magalhaes presided as boss refused to resolve the simplest of issues in a collegial way and Goodwill was a workplace where a “dictatorship” ruled.

“They were pi--ing money left, right and centre on grievances because they wanted to take them right to arbitration,” said one insider.

“They thought arbitration was healthy ... There was a climate of intimidation ... they would never back down,” another said.

The insiders added that “favouritism” was rampant for those who toed the party line. Those who didn’t were “intimidated.”

Reached Thursday at her brand new job as a senior professional in HR at St. Michael’s Hospital, Muffo-Magalhaes at first said she was “not ready to comment” and was “just as affected as every employee” at Goodwill.

“The door shut and I was out of a job myself,” she said.

However, when pressed, she said the allegations made by the insiders come as a “shock” to her and she denied that all employees grievances were pushed to arbitration.

“This is news to me ... There would have always been a process in place to discuss with the union,” she said, insisting she had to take her direction from Nakamura.

Asked whether employees were intimidated, she said “absolutely not.”

Asked whether she was good friends with Nakamura, she also responded “absolutely not.” She insisted that she got her job at Goodwill through a job posting.

TECNO STAFF HAVING TROUBLE FINDING WORK

Just 20% of the employees left out in the cold when TECNO shut shop six months ago have found work, insiders say.

Nearly 500 employees found themselves without jobs when CEO Keiko Nakamura pulled the plug on 16 stores, 10 donation centres and two offices on Jan. 18. The company later declared bankruptcy on Feb. 29.

An insider who has kept in touch with many of the employees said more of the educated staff have found jobs. But for several others — especially those who are disabled or who have other barriers — Goodwill was the “last line” of work for them.

The insider said those who had been with Goodwill for up to 20 years are encountering a completely different work landscape and are “scared of the process” of finding a job.

“It’s disheartening for them,” the insider said.

Meanwhile, another insider claims Nakamura went on a cruise to South Pacific — with family members — just three weeks before the company shut its doors and says they couldn’t believe it.

Nakamura did not respond to a request for comment.

THE SKINNY ON GOODWILL JOB TRAINING HANDOUTS

Goodwill TECNO got ministry of training money under three programs: Employment Service (ESO), Youth Employment Fund, Canada-Ontario Job Grant (COJG).
Total ministry funds given Goodwill between 2012 and January 2016: $7,571,144.
Total money given in 2014-15: $1,993,311.
Total money given in 2015-16: $1,979,699.
Amount Goodwill owes ministry for services not rendered after bankruptcy: $300,000.
Number of clients Goodwill was supposed to help under ESO in 2015: 1,300.
No. of clients helped: 703.
No. of active clients when Goodwill went bankrupt: 330.
No. of clients Goodwill was supposed to help under COJG in 2015: 90.
No. of clients helped: 50.
SLevy@postmedia.com
Ministry handed Goodwill $7.5M seemingly without question | Levy | Toronto & GTA

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Well, this is what happens when you call yourself a charity while behaving like a full retail chain. Seriously, anyone ever been in a Goodwill store? Value Village has cheaper prices for Christ's sake and they don't pretend to be a charity.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Whoever picks up their slack will be the ones who bought them out. Still, when Goodwill is closing store just how bad is the economy?