Dogwalker in hot seat for leaving dogs in car in freezing temperatures

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
By Maryam Shah, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 02:13 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 02:27 PM EST
TORONTO - Are you the dogwalker or do you know the dogwalker involved? Give us a call at 416-947-2211 or an e-mail at torsun.citydesk@sunmedia.ca.
A story about several dogs left inside a car during Monday’s extreme cold weather alert prompted a woman to call a Toronto radio to offer a spirited defence.
Global News first reported the story Monday, when reporter Angie Seth said she and a cameraman came across a car with dogs sitting inside — on a day when the city had declared an extreme cold weather alert and temperatures plunged below -10C.
When the woman driver returned, she said, “You want to sit in here? It’s warm” before shutting the car door on Seth’s questions.
A woman called in to the John Oakley Show on AM640 on Tuesday saying she had done nothing wrong.
The car windows were fogged up because the dogs had just been on an hour-long run in a park and that she had only stopped to drop off a prescription.
“I was going to explain to (the Global News reporter) and then I thought why do I have to explain this to you,” the woman told AM640.
“I’ve been doing this for almost 20 years, I’ve never put a dog in harm’s way whether it’s cold or heat,” the woman continued. “So, the fact that I have to defend myself is sort of a little interesting.”
Toronto Police Const. Victor Kwong noted that “in the winter, it is not as black and white as the summer” and that different breeds handle the cold in different ways.
Mary Lou Leiher from Toronto Animal Services would not comment on the specifics.
“But in general, for sure, I would just be cautious about leaving your dog in a car unsupervised in any extreme weather,” she added.
Among cold weather pet safety tips on its website, the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals warns owners to “never leave your cat or dog alone in a car during cold weather.”
Dogwalker in hot seat for leaving dogs in car in freezing temperatures | Toronto

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
reporter Angie Seth said she and a cameraman came across a car with dogs sitting inside — on a day when the city had declared an extreme cold weather alert and temperatures plunged below -10C
-10C is extreme cold? F-ck me Charle Brown.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
petros I had the same reaction -10 is a reason for a cold alert. That is too funny
for words dogs play outside in colder weather than that

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
For a winter temp -10C is perfect if there is no wind over 20km/h. Cool enough to not be humid and warm enough to go without a toque and gloves and not buttoning up the coat.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
This is getting to the point of absolute stupidity.
Perhaps we should put sweaters on all the dogs and have air-conditioned dog houses for them in the summer.
After all they're being abused..
every dog I've ever had would curl up in a little ball while sleeping on one of my old jackets and become happy and content at -10.

Of course none of them were bald little Mexican toy dogs

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
For a winter temp -10C is perfect if there is no wind over 20km/h. Cool enough to not be humid and warm enough to go without a toque and gloves and not buttoning up the coat.

When it gets below minus 5 or 6C I generally trade off the ball cap for a tuque, when outdoors for an extended period.

-10C is extreme cold? F-ck me Charle Brown.

Temperature is just one factor, humidity and wind speed are often more significant. I don't have much tolerance for wind above 5 kmh.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It was -10 in Campbell River this morning. So fukkin cold I had to do up my jacket.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Megz, what is the longest stretch you've been locked in a car at -10C?

Wussy.

I've worked in Campbell River in minus 10C and colder & believe me it's not like the dry cold on the prairie. Wind can be bad there too.

By Maryam Shah, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 02:13 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 02:27 PM EST
TORONTO - Are you the dogwalker or do you know the dogwalker involved? Give us a call at 416-947-2211 or an e-mail at torsun.citydesk@sunmedia.ca.
A story about several dogs left inside a car during Monday’s extreme cold weather alert prompted a woman to call a Toronto radio to offer a spirited defence.

Dogwalker in hot seat for leaving dogs in car in freezing temperatures | Toronto

Leaving a dog in a car at minus 10C is not an issue. (As long as it doesn't have to pee or take a crap)