Woman critical after metal spears windshield

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Woman critical after metal spears windshield
By Chris Doucette, Toronto Sun
First posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 10:31 AM EST | Updated: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 07:48 PM EST
PICKERING - A 24-year-old woman is fighting for her life after a steel projectile nearly two metres long became airborne on Hwy. 401 in Pickering and pierced the windshield of her car like a spear.
The woman was behind the wheel of a Honda Accord heading east in the collector lanes just west of Rougemount Dr., approaching Whites Rd., when her terrifying ordeal unfolded around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.
“There was a large piece of metal on the highway,” Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said Wednesday, explaining the metal bar was “most likely” a piece of equipment from a tow truck.
He said several vehicles drove over the debris and ended up with flattened tires.
“Then metal bar somehow got launched into the air,” Schmidt said, speculating the debris may have been “kicked up” by one of the passing vehicles.
The Markham woman, whose name was not released, suffered life-threatening injuries and was rushed to a Toronto hospital where she underwent surgery.
“I know doctors worked on her through the night,” Schmidt said. “And her family was at the hospital with her.”
The long projectile that struck the woman was square, rather than round, and appears to be one half of a two-piece adjustable metal bar from a tow truck driver’s dolly system, he said.
Tow operators wedge dollies, or small wheels, beneath the rear tires to raise a vehicle off the ground so it can be towed, Schmidt explained. The dollies, one set beneath each rear tire, are then connected by a metal bar that is about two metres long when fully extended.
He urged all tow truck operators who were in the area Tuesday night to check and ensure they have both pieces of that metal bar.
“Hopefully, any tow truck driver who is missing this equipment will do the right thing and come forward to talk to our investigators so that we can give this woman’s family some answers,” Schmidt said.
Any witnesses in the area that night are asked to call the Whitby OPP detachment at 905-668-3388.
chris.doucette@sunmedia.ca
Woman critical after metal spears windshield | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Su

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Tow truck drivers are sort of the scum of the earth so don't expect him/her to come forward. They will wait like a vulture for the next wreck. Not surprised one is incompetent enough to not properly secure his load.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Maybe. He was in the area.

It's guite hard to disregard thier interest in wrecks. I wonder how many accidents of this sort are arranged?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I'll never forget driving south on 32nd street in Phoenix some guy was ahead of me hauling 55 gallon drums and one of the lids blew off and damn near got me. If that projectile would have went through the windshield I'm pretty sure it would have taken the ole noggin. People need to secure their loads but a lot don't.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Cops probe leads in search for tow truck from accident
By Chris Doucette, Toronto Sun
First posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 01:54 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, December 03, 2015 02:09 PM EST
Did you witness this? Do you know the victim? If so, we want to hear from you. Contact the Toronto Sun city desk at 416-947-2211 or by email at torsun.citydesk@sunmedia.ca
The hunt for the tow truck that lost a piece of equipment — a long metal bar that flew threw a windshield on the 401 and critically injured a woman — is "moving forward," the OPP say.
The terrifying incident unfolded around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday as the woman, 24, was driving east on Hwy. 401 near Rougemount Rd. in Pickering.
OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt explained Wednesday that the steel bar, believed to have fallen off a tow truck, initially flattened several vehicles' tires.
But then the nearly two-metre-long metal bar became airborne and flew through the windshield of a Honda Accord like a javelin, critically injuring the woman behind the wheel.
"We're still trying to locate the tow truck that lost this piece of equipment," Schmidt said Thursday. "Our investigation is progressing."
"We're following up on a lot of leads and tips," he added.
Schmidt said the victim is still fighting for her life in a Toronto hospital.
"She remains in critical condition with her family at her side," he said of the Markham woman, whose name has not been released.
The projectile that struck the woman is thought to be one half of a two-piece adjustable metal bar from a tow truck driver's dolly system.
Schmidt urged the driver who lost this equipment to come forward because the victim's family deserves some answers.
Anyone with information regarding this incident should call the Whitby OPP Detachment at 905-668-3388 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
chris.doucette@sunmedia.ca
Cops probe leads in search for tow truck from accident | Toronto & GTA | News |