Paul Bernardo applies for day parole in Toronto

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Paul Bernardo applies for day parole in Toronto
Liam Casey, THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 09:57 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, July 03, 2015 11:21 AM EDT
TORONTO -- Paul Bernardo has applied for day parole in Toronto.
The lawyer for the families of Bernardo's murder victims, 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy and 15-year-old Kristen French, said Correctional Service Canada sent out a form letter to the families last week advising them of his application.
Tim Danson said it is Bernardo's right to apply for parole three years before he is eligible, but this has left families of both girls devastated, even though they knew this day was coming.
"It is 22 years after the fact for my clients," Danson said.
"It was -- I don't even know what words to use -- but really upsetting for them. It just brings everything back and they have to re-live things."
He has told the families that there is no chance Bernardo will ever see the outside world again, that this is simply part of the process.
Bernardo was sentenced to life with no chance for parole for 25 years for raping and murdering Mahaffy and French.
He was also given a dangerous offender status, the most severe designation in Canadian law, for admitting to raping 14 other women and other charges related to Mahaffy and French. Dangerous offenders can be imprisoned indefinitely.
Danson said he received the letter on June 25 and has been corresponding with the authorities since then.
It's rare for people convicted of first-degree murder to also be designated dangerous offenders, since first-degree murder already carries a life sentence.
Danson believes the dangerous offender designation must be dealt with first, rather than the murder charges.
"There is a process that's set up for dangerous offenders to persuade the parole board that you're no longer a dangerous offender, which is different criteria than normal parole board criteria," he said.
"That must be dealt with first."
He said the authorities are working with him to figure out the proper process.
Paul Bernardo applies for day parole in Toronto | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think the families are suffering a form of PTSD. I hope they're seeking or have sought help to cope with this. It's going to be something they'll have to deal with for the rest of their lives. They need coping strategies for sure.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Canadian Justice.. he will be in a neighborhood near you soon.

Maybe after he's had some heavy plastic surgery. I don't think he can safely leave his lockup yet. If he wants to continue breathing he'll have to hide for the rest of his life.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Purple text = sarcasm.

Yep, got that. Just can't figure out what part is sarcastic. Comparing the 2 seems...a huge stretch to me so I didn't want to assume I knew what Ski was being sarcastic about.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yep, got that. Just can't figure out what part is sarcastic. Comparing the 2 seems...a huge stretch to me so I didn't want to assume I knew what Ski was being sarcastic about.

I thought the sarcasm was pretty obvious, I hesitated to even make it purple.

Its not that huge a stretch. They both are convicted killers.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I thought the sarcasm was pretty obvious, I hesitated to even make it purple.

Its not that huge a stretch. They both are convicted killers.

ah, so in this case I was correct. I view the crimes as being very different.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Once you get to 1st degree murder, you should not see the light of day period. Thus Omar = Paul.

I'm not a fan of black and white. I think there were some differences between the 2. Omar was a minor brought up under religious ideology and used as an example by the courts. Paul is a serial killer/rapist. He enjoyed what he did. He did it for sexual gratification. I think that's different.

Let me also add that this is how I currently feel and think. My views change as new information comes in. So tomorrow I may think differently.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm not a fan of black and white. I think there were some differences between the 2. Omar was a minor brought up under religious ideology and used as an example by the courts. Paul is a serial killer/rapist. He enjoyed what he did. He did it for sexual gratification. I think that's different.

Let me also add that this is how I currently feel and think. My views change as new information comes in. So tomorrow I may think differently.

Just to be clear, I think 1st degree already means that a person willingly decided to take somebody else's life. The why's and if they may be sorry now to me are irrelevant since the victim is still dead. For this, they should spend the rest of their life in jail. Other degrees of murder, yes lets not be rigid.

I understand that our opinions may differ. You have a right to yours no matter how wrong it is. :)