Wynne proceeds with $2M libel action against Tories

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Premier Kathleen Wynne’s $2-million libel action against two Progressive Conservative MPPs over the Liberal gas-plant scandal continues almost a year after it was filed.

Wynne’s office confirmed this week that her lawsuit against former Tory leader Tim Hudak and MPP Lisa MacLeod is proceeding.

Sources told the Star the impasse is so bad that even the lawyers — whose bills are being paid by the Liberal and Conservative parties, not taxpayers — are not communicating.

The legal battle stems from accusations Hudak and MacLeod made at a press conference on March 27, 2014 about Wynne’s role in the alleged wiping of computer hard drives in the office of former premier Dalton McGuinty.

MacLeod was unrepentant Thursday.

“I won’t apologize for questioning the Liberals’ ethics or integrity on the face of not one, but now four criminal investigations, two of which are directly related to the premier’s office,” she said.

The Tory MPP was referring to the OPP probes of deleted emails related to the Liberals’ cancellation of gas-fired electricity plants in Oakville and Mississauga, the ORNGE air-ambulance fiasco, and twin probes into the recent Sudbury byelection debacle.

“Wynne’s intimidation tactics won’t work on me and I’m looking forward to questioning her on the gas plants cover-up and the Sudbury bribery allegations just as I’ve always done,” said MacLeod.

For the past 21 months, the Ontario Provincial Police have been investigating David Livingston, McGuinty’s last chief of staff, for breach of trust.

The OPP allege Livingston obtained a special computer password in early 2013 — before Wynne took over — that enabled Peter Faist, a private contractor and the spouse of Laura Miller, McGuinty’s then deputy chief — to erase hard drives.

McGuinty, Faist and Miller are not subjects of the OPP investigation and have denied any wrongdoing, as has Livingston.

The police allegations have not been proven in court.

Wynne, who officially served the suit on April 15, has maintained that Hudak and MacLeod “made several false, misleading and defamatory allegations about me.”

“You alleged that I personally ‘oversaw and possibly ordered the criminal destruction of documents’ and that criminal conduct took place in my office,” the premier said last March.

“The Ontario Progressive Conservative Party repeated these false allegations on its website and in a public mailing. These allegations and accusations are false and utterly unsupported, and you ought to know it.”

Hudak stepped down as PC leader after the Liberals won a majority in the June 12 election, but he remains MPP for Niagara West—Glanbrook.

Auditor general Bonnie Lysyk estimates the scrapping of the two gas plants, which are being relocating to Napanee and Sarnia, could cost hydro ratepayers and taxpayers up to $1.1 billion over 20 years.

Kathleen Wynne proceeds with $2M libel action against Tories | Toronto Star

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ok, so it's not costing us a dime AND there may finally be some answers regarding the Gas Plant fiasco?

Lol. Please, do carry on.