Restaurateur fights off mugger

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Restaurateur fights off mugger
SHAWN JEFFORDS AND JENNY YUEN
First posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 07:57 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 08:20 PM EST
A would-be mugger got more than he bargained for when he tried to rob a well-known Toronto restaurateur.
The aptly-named Arron Barberian, owner of Barberian’s Steakhouse on Elm St., might have looked like an easy mark when he set out on Monday morning to deliver a cash float to a sandwich shop he owns with partners down the street.
Clad in a black coat and glasses, carrying a till full of money, the grey-haired businessman is seen walking on security camera video which has now been posted online.
An unidentified black male is seen running down the street behind Barberian. When he catches up, he reaches over, pushes Barberian and attempts to steal the money.
But Barberian transforms from mild-mannered restaurateur to whirling dervish, fighting back against the crook.
“I kind of did a hockey move where I rag-dolled him and kind of kept him to the ground,” Barberian recalled on Tuesday. “I didn’t really try to assault this guy or hit him or hurt him. I just wanted to hold him for police.”
Barberian said adrenaline kicked in when the man pounced, attempting to steal the till which contained $400. In retrospect, he admitted it wasn’t a “genius” move, but explained he was upset.
“I realized he didn’t have a weapon,” he added. “In his hands he had fives and tens and that’s when the till went flying and I starting whirling around with him.”
The video shows Barberian attempt to throw the man to the ground as a sandwich shop employee comes to his aid. The struggle continues into the street where cash from the till blows away in the wind and the pair continue to wrestle.
Barberian chases the man out of the view of the camera and said he followed him to a nearby parking garage where he gave up the chase. In the end, he estimates the man got away with very little cash and about $125 blew away in the wind.
A Good Samaritan is seen trying to scoop up cash to give back to Barberian. Another women, wearing red-soled boots enters view of the camera, but instead of helping, she grabs the businessman’s iPhone, stopping traffic to do it, and then leaves.
“She sees my cell phone in the middle of the road, stops traffic and steals my cellphone,” he said, adding that upset him more than the attempted mugging.
A Toronto Police spokesman said Tuesday night that officers are investigating.
Barberian told the Toronto Sun police had a suspect in custody, however, Const. David Hopkinson said he didn’t wish to identify the man “because we’re trying not to harm our case before the court.”
Police have not looked into the theft of Barberian’s cellphone.
shawn.jeffords@sunmedia.ca
Images taken from security video which shows Arron Barberian, owner of Barberian’s Steakhouse on Elm St., fight off a mugger.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It'll not be long before his fellow kind all take to the streets in protest, smashing shop windows and nicking all the expensive trainers.

I also suspect she'll soon be arrested on charges of racism and violent conduct, whereas he will get away scot free.

Sign of the times....

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Man arrested in robbery of Barberian's Steakhouse owner
Woman sought in cellphone theft
By Kevin Connor, Toronto Sun
First posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:48 AM EST | Updated: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:00 AM EST
TORONTO - A man has been arrested in connection with Monday’s daytime robbery of the owner of Barberian’s Steakhouse.
A suspect was arrested around 1 a.m. Wednesday and charged with robbery and two probation charges, Toronto Police said.
Arron Barberian, 50, was carrying a money box when he was attacked Monday on Elm St. near Yonge St.
Video of the incident was posted to YouTube.
“I kind of did a hockey move where I rag-dolled him and kind of kept him to the ground,” Barberian told the Toronto Sun on Tuesday. “I didn’t really try to assault this guy or hit him or hurt him. I just wanted to hold him for police.”
Barberian said adrenaline kicked in when the man pounced, attempting to steal the till which contained $400. In retrospect, he admitted it wasn’t a “genius” move, but explained he was upset.
“I realized he didn’t have a weapon,” he added. “In his hands he had fives and tens and that’s when the till went flying and I starting whirling around with him.”
Joel Brown, 41, was scheduled to appear at Old City Hall court on Wednesday but staffing issues delayed his bail hearing. He is expected to return to court Dec. 29.
The victim lost his cellphone during the scuffle and police are looking for the public’s help identifying a woman who is seen on security video taking the phone.
“She sees my cellphone in the middle of the road, stops traffic and steals my cellphone,” Barberian said, adding that upset him more than the attempted mugging.
— With files from Jenny Yuen and Shawn Jeffords
Man arrested in robbery of Barberian's Steakhouse owner | Toronto & GTA | News |

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
ID of Barberian's cellphone thief still a mystery
By Chris Doucette, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 02:00 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 02:07 PM EST
TORONTO - The identity of a woman who swept in while steakhouse owner Arron Barberian tussled with a mugger outside his restaurant and callously stole his cellphone remains a mystery.
Toronto Police have been trying to identify the woman since she took advantage of Barberian’s predicament days before Christmas on Dec. 22, an incident that was captured on video by area security cameras.
“The detective is still working on the case, but there’s still no arrest,” Const. Victor Kwong said Tuesday.
The video of Barberian’s ordeal was posted online last month and went viral while cops tried to track down both the suspected mugger, who has since been arrested, and the smart phone thief.
In the footage, the well-known restaurateur is seen leaving Barberian’s Steakhouse on Elm St., near Yonge and Dundas Sts., in the morning carrying a cash drawer.
Almost immediately the grey-haired businessman is accosted by a crook who snatches the cash box from his hands. But the would-be mugger got much more than he bargained for as Barberian fought back with a vengeance.
“I kind of did a hockey move, where I rag-dolled him and kind of kept him to the ground,” Barberian recalled in the aftermath. “I didn’t really try to assault this guy or hit him or hurt him. I just wanted to hold him for police.”
As Barberian and an employee tried to chase after the mugger, a Good Samaritan is seen in the video picking up some of the cash that was blowing around the street. She later returned the cash to Barberian.
However, a second woman who appears in the video, wearing boots that appear to have red soles, took advantage of the situation by pocketing the restaurant owner’s iPhone instead of helping.
“She sees my cellphone in the middle of the road, stops traffic and steals my cellphone,” Barberian said at the time, explaining the second theft was more upsetting than the mugging.
The accused mugger was subsequently nabbed by police.
Joel Brown, 41, is charged with robbery and two counts of failing to comply with probation.
Police released images of a woman who is believed to be the iPhone thief, but she has yet to be identified.
Investigators continue to hope members of the public will recognize the suspect and come forward.
Anyone with information regarding the woman’s identity or whereabouts should call police at 416-808-5200 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
chris.doucette@sunmedia.ca
ID of Barberian's cellphone thief still a mystery | Toronto & GTA | News | Toron