So much for Pit Bulls being Banned in Ont

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Toronto Police shot and killed a pit bull on Saturday just after 4 p.m. when it attacked a shih tzu and held the small dog down with a “locked-jaw grip,” police said.

Police received a call for an “unknown trouble” at a Toronto Community Housing Corp. home at Winchester Street and Rose Avenue in Cabbagetown, where they saw bystanders “screaming and yelling” while trying to pry the pit bull away from the shih tzu.

“The policeman was hitting the dog so hard with his baton that it flung out of his hands but the pit bull would not let go,” said Samantha Thornton, a resident in the area. She said the owner of the shih tzu was in “hysterics.”

According to Ms. Thornton, police shot the dog twice in the leg and when it still didn’t release the shih tzu, they shot it in the head.

“Due to the safety and security of the Shih Tzu, the public, and the other officers involved, the officer made the decision to put down the pit bull,” said Const. Jenniferjit Siduh.

Ms. Thornton said the shih tzu is alive and recovering from the attack.

“I’ve seen other pit bulls in the area and I’ve seen a pit bull puppy that looks just like the one that was shot,” said Ms. Thornton, who is raising her children in the neighbourhood.

Another area resident also reported seeing a pit bull puppy outside of the TCHC home.

Sammy Graja, who lives in the house, confirmed there are also female pit bulls in the area.

“Yes they are around, but they are OK though. They hang around the building from time to time and they have their own owners,” said Mr. Graja.

“The dog that was shot was actually a really friendly dog,” he added.

Other residents in the area didn’t feel as secure.

“The situation in the neighbourhood is out of control,” said one. “I feel threatened.”

Tammy Robbinson, spokesperson for Toronto Animal Services, said if a pit bull was born after the legislation was passed, the dog must leave Ontario.

“The person can surrender the dog to us and we then assess and try to send it to a rescue group outside of the province,” Ms. Robbinson said.

more

Toronto Police shoot and kill a pitbull after batons are not enough to release its ‘lock-jaw grip’ from shih tzu | National Post

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Just because they ban something doesn't mean it disappears. Which is pretty much exactly what the anti-gun group can't seem to grasp.

It's a shame though about the dogs. Breeds aren't the problem really, it's owners. It always comes down to the owners.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Just because they ban something doesn't mean it disappears. Which is pretty much exactly what the anti-gun group can't seem to grasp.

It's a shame though about the dogs. Breeds aren't the problem really, it's owners. It always comes down to the owners.

You're right. We need to ban the people.

Also, guns don't disappear with gun control but compare Toronto to 'any' American city. 'Nuff said.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You're right. We need to ban the people.

That's all that I've ever wanted.

Also, guns don't disappear with gun control but compare Toronto to 'any' American city. 'Nuff said.
Hey I'm not saying there shouldn't be restrictions. It was more of a reaction to the thread title, which to me kind of implies "well, they're banned, there shouldn't be any".

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
That's all that I've ever wanted.

Hey I'm not saying there shouldn't be restrictions. It was more of a reaction to the thread title, which to me kind of implies "well, they're banned, there shouldn't be any".

The title was indeed irony............