Free At Last, Free At Last

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Joe Fontana resigns as mayor of London, Ont.

Steps down after guilty verdict

CBC News Posted: Jun 19, 2014 10:33 AM ET Last Updated: Jun 19, 2014 10:33 AM ET

Joe Fontana, mayor of London, Ont., was charged by RCMP in November 2012 with fraud, breach of trust by a public official and uttering forged documents. He resigned on Thursday. ((Dave Chidley/Canadian Press))

Joe Fontana is no longer the mayor of London, Ont., he announced on Thursday.
The resignation follows fraud-related convictions from his time as a federal cabinet minister. Fontana announced Monday that he would step down and would hold a news conference Thursday, but cancelled that appearance in an emailed statement this morning.
“I understand I am required to walk this path alone and I have learned that we will be measured not only by what we do but by how we choose to carry our burdens," he said in the release.
Fontana was convicted last week of fraud, forgery and breach of trust after a judge found he forged an expense document submitted to the House of Commons in 2005 that resulted in a $1,700 government fraud.
Sentencing arguments are scheduled for July 15 and the penalties range from an absolute discharge to time in custody.
In today's statement, Fontana says he delivered his resignation to the city clerk and it is effective as of 10 a.m. He writes that this is not how he had envisioned his final days in office, but he "accepts the challenges before him."
He vowed not to return to office to focus on his family. "[My family] have sacrificed for me for 32 years. I will not return to public life.”

Joe Fontana resigns as mayor of London, Ont. - Toronto - CBC News

Sayonara, good-bye, so long, arrivederci....don't let the door hit you on the *** on the way out.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
what a complete azzhat

wonder how the wedding was by the way...did you get an invite?

pffffffffffft

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
what a complete azzhat

wonder how the wedding was by the way...did you get an invite?

pffffffffffft

No, I wasn't invited to the wedding, lol.

I recall that Fontana had some connection to the company that built the condo's I live in (my grandparents owned it before me) and through out all of this "mayor fraud case" fiasco, I've heard my grandfather's voice in my head "he's crooked, crooked" he used to say about him. Lol. Pa pere is laughing now where ever he is.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
No, I wasn't invited to the wedding, lol.

I recall that Fontana had some connection to the company that built the condo's I live in (my grandparents owned it before me) and through out all of this "mayor fraud case" fiasco, I've heard my grandfather's voice in my head "he's crooked, crooked" he used to say about him. Lol. Pa pere is laughing now where ever he is.
lol...he's crooked...yeah, it's good to know it finally caught up to him....

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
How much did he get away with.
The House ultra secret committee can order an audit.
don't know because he only now got caught...

it doesn't mention it in the article...but he charged the rental of a venue for his son's wedding as an expense...he literally changed the bill...which was for 1,700. So you can bet that wasn't his first error

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't think I would make a good politician. i'm too trustworthy, honest, and honourable, etc. ;)

When I run for City Council, this will be my slogan,
Of course my lovely bride would kill me.
Feel free to use it.
" I will lie to you the least".

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
When I run for City Council, this will be my slogan,
Of course my lovely bride would kill me.
Feel free to use it.
" I will lie to you the least".

I could actually see that working. LOL.

Seriously, job's open....and the bar is not exactly set high.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I could actually see that working. LOL.

Seriously, job's open....and the bar is not exactly set high.
what's the pay, would they let me commute, and do I have to have a platform that makes sense other than heels that is?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well I ain't a thief and I do not lie, much.
freaking fibber

and you won't have to use a high stool because the bar ain't too high...if ya fall off, it's not far to the floor