Young Ontario mom dies a week after being hit in the head with softball

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Young Ontario mom dies a week after being hit in the head with softball
Brent Boles, QMI Agency
First posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 10:22 AM EDT | Updated: Monday, June 16, 2014 04:17 PM EDT
SARNIA, Ont. — A 31-year-old mother of three is dead after being hit in the forehead with a softball while playing on June 1.
Friends say Crystal Young stayed in the game, but later complained of nausea — even fainting at work later in the week — before she died June 8.
A makeshift shrine is now building on the steps of her Sarnia, Ont., home, as her friends and family try to figure out what more could have been done to save her.
“She got up, picked the ball up and threw it back,” her friend Angelique Robinson recalled of the hit she believes led to her death.
Young sought medical treatment, but was released. A death certificate has not yet been issued to confirm the cause of her death.
A student in the developmental service worker program at Lambton College in Sarnia, Young was days away from graduation when she died.
Her 11-year-old daughter Jewel went to the ceremony to pick up her mother's diploma.
Kevin Lumley, Young's longtime former boyfriend, has been entrusted to care for her three children, aged 11, nine and five.
A trust fund has also been set up to help pay for the children's future.
“They can follow into their mom's footsteps (going to college),” said Robinson. “They'll be able to do it and they won't have to struggle to do it like she did.”
To pay for school and provide for her children, Young worked multiple jobs.
She spent time working with the disabled.
Young was also a long-time roofer.
“If she wasn't working, she was with her kids,” said Robinson. “She made sure those kids had everything.”
brent.boles@sunmedia.ca
A memorial for Crystal Young, the 31-year-old mother of three who died on June 8. (BRENT BOLES/QMI AGENCY)

Young Ontario mom dies a week after being hit in the head with softball | Ontari

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Sad story. Is(are) there no father(s) to look after the kids?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
treated and released .... seems to me another inditement of our shoddy medical system.

Not necessarily. The mechanism of injury does not suggest major trauma. Certainly not enough to warrant more than an xray. Now if the pain persisted and they kept sending her home without further testing then yes they clearly missed something.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Very sad, indeed. As a long time softball coach (now retired) I have said for many years that we need to go back to using the original softball or what was called kitten ball. It was made out of cloth, not leather and never caused injury. It would also help if we used wooden bats up to 29 oz as we did in the old days.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Head injuries are the worst. Brains aren't really all that smart. They don't feel when there's something wrong.Rest in Peace
Yes it's sad-remember that young woman who was hit by a puck before an NHL game and died that night?

Her death led to the league requiring the extensive netting that now exists behind the goals.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
yes, very very sad.

we were very extensively involved with softball for years, first with my husband, who played for years,
then we started up a girls softball league, so much interest, we had 16 teams the first year, and along
with all of that brings in the safety issues.

we were in edmonton for a western canadians finals one year, and my young daughter, who was the bat-girl
for our team, ran around behind the backstop to get something, forgot what, the batter hit a very high
foul ball, and of course, perfect timing, as she ran, the ball bounced right off of the top of her
head.
very scary, but no injury, a bit sore, and over the next week or so, with lots of attention to how she
was feeling, absolutely nothing happened to further complicate that situation. we were all lucky.

i remember when the lady died after being hit with the puck.

its good that all of the nets were added, made it much safer, but also, anyone at a game of anything,
where the balls/pucks etc might by flying around to anywhere, should not be sitting around gabbing
and 'totally' forget where they are, PAY ATTENTION. do your gabbing, while paying attention to what is
going on around you.

i watch the jays games quite a bit, and it is amazing how many foul balls are hit 'very hard linedrives
sometimes' into the crowd, and i haven't seen anyone injured, but also they are very aware that it
happens often, and are sitting there waiting, many with ball gloves on, to try to catch it.
but the line drive foul balls, go so hard into the crowd, i can't imagine that one day someone will
be seriously injured.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
i watch the jays games quite a bit, and it is amazing how many foul balls are hit 'very hard linedrives
sometimes' into the crowd, and i haven't seen anyone injured

there have been fatalities in pro and amateur baseball

Unfortunately, people often go the stadiums just to spend time and they don't pay attention to the game. I was at an amateur game where a woman was yapping away, not paying attention, when a foul ball was headed at her. I shouted out and she managed to deflect the ball before it crowned her. Sure enough minutes after the pain in her hand subsided, she went back to yapping instead of watching the game.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8OThose "softballs" are not soft. RIP dear lady, and condolences to your family.

I caught one with my testicles one time, (bounce -centre field)............laid me out for a bit, and my voice went up.

Still,, it was a marvelous catch. I can still hear the cheering.
seemed to come from the other teams dugout.
Good sports.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
8OThose "softballs" are not soft. RIP dear lady, and condolences to your family.

I caught one with my testicles one time, (bounce -centre field)............laid me out for a bit, and my voice went up.

Still,, it was a marvelous catch. I can still hear the cheering.
seemed to come from the other teams dugout.
Good sports.

You remind me that I have at least twice written to the ASA and ask that they bring back the soft, cloth bound ball. Naturally, my calls have been completely disregarded. My experience with the NCAA has been just as futile.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
A thought occurred to me: lacrosse is now the fastest growing sport in the USA and a very hard ball is used in the game. Unfortunately, girls do not wear helmets when they play and this can lead to serious injuries. Even if a softer ball is used, the stick can cause injury. Let's hope rules will be changed and helmets mandated.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
A thought occurred to me: lacrosse is now the fastest growing sport in the USA and a very hard ball is used in the game. Unfortunately, girls do not wear helmets when they play and this can lead to serious injuries. Even if a softer ball is used, the stick can cause injury. Let's hope rules will be changed and helmets mandated.
Bubble wrap for everyone.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
there have been fatalities in pro and amateur baseball

Unfortunately, people often go the stadiums just to spend time and they don't pay attention to the game. I was at an amateur game where a woman was yapping away, not paying attention, when a foul ball was headed at her. I shouted out and she managed to deflect the ball before it crowned her. Sure enough minutes after the pain in her hand subsided, she went back to yapping instead of watching the game.

yep, that is so common, we have seen it for many years, a time to gossip, talk about their kids, and
whatever else, its too bAd they don't really hAve the 'true' connection to the game, they just come
there to have a social time, or bring their kids, but no real interest in the sport. maybe there
should be a big cage for all of those adults, just kidding, its not funny, but it is avoidable.

a real lacrosse ball is very hard and heavy, like a missile, same as the other
games, ' a very real danger', there should be warnings, but of course if there
were warnings about paying attention', then there would be big lAw suits immediately,
on injury, because of those signs, charging team owners.

just like having a sign on your gate 'beware of dog', makes owner negligent if
injury occurs, as it is charged that the owner knew his dog is vicious, no sign
can mean the owner had no clue, so probably no blame.

Last edited: