Senior discharged from hospital into storm without shoes

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Senior discharged from hospital into storm without shoes
Rob Houle, QMI Agency
First posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 08:38 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, March 20, 2014 08:53 PM EDT
ST. CATHARINES, Ont. ─ A Niagara area senior says a St. Catharines, Ont., hospital showed little compassion when it discharged him into a snowstorm without any winter clothing or footwear.
Gabor Joo, 77, was discharged from hospital March 12 after a four-day stay into heavy snow and gusting winds.
And Joo had no winter coat, no shoes and only one sock. And he had no ride back to his Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont., home.
Joo was brought by ambulance to the St. Catharines hospital on Saturday, March 8. He was suffering from complications resulting from knee-replacement surgery. His left foot was swollen and he could no longer walk.
After he called 911, he said he put on a hat, coat, scarf and a shoe on his right foot as he waited an ambulance.
"The paramedics didn't want me to take any of that,” he said, adding his key was given to a neighbour. "So basically, I left barefooted, without any winter clothes."

Senior discharged from hospital into storm without shoes | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It is simple, no 2 ways about it.

I am a little curious about the ideas that the author of the OP article might have on the subject.

A return trip by ambulance is out of the question - I can see the hullabaloo on that if someone died at an accident scene because there were no ambulance's available.

Maybe the hospital can send people home in a cab, but that will cut into their already shrinking budgets.

Doesn't really seem to be many options relative to this other than friends or family getting involved