Suspect in Tamworth, Ont. shooting spree found dead

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Suspect in Tamworth, Ont. shooting spree found dead
QMI Agency
First posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 07:11 AM EST | Updated: Thursday, February 27, 2014 07:25 PM EST
TAMWORTH, Ont. — The suspect in a bizarre shooting spree that left two people dead in this small Ontario town was found dead in some bushes, police said.

Locals have identified the man as Morton Lewis.

The suspect is one of two men who died Wednesday night in the attacks. Another man has serious but non-life-threatening injuries, and a woman was choked and had her ankle broken by a man who claimed he had just killed someone.

Karen Cassidy's father, Ken Kirkpatrick, whose daughter was being treated at Kingston General Hospital, said the suspect was parked in the middle of the road near the community's post office around 5 p.m. on Wednesday and his daughter couldn't get by with her vehicle.

The suspect then rammed her car.

“He rammed her head-on, and then he backed up again and she thought, 'He's going to hit me again and kill me.' That's what my daughter said to me,” he said. “She jumped in the back seat. Then he got out of his truck, she was in the car with the doors locked. He busted the window, got in the back seat and started to choke her. She said, 'Don't kill me, I have children.' “

Kirkpatrick said that didn't stop the suspect.

“He said, 'So do I and I've already killed somebody.' Then some people came along and he left her alone, other people in vehicles. He left in his truck.”

Kirkpatrick said Cassidy did not know the man.

Local firefighter Chase Wayte was another victim. He was shot in the arm and has since been released from hospital.

Police have yet to release the name of the suspect or further details in the bizarre attacks that had police stretched between six different crimes scenes around the tiny town of Tamworth on Thursday.

The Tamworth Post Office, the Tamworth Fire Hall, two homes and two sites along County Road 15 near the town were all surrounded by police tape Thursday.

Locals in town reported seeing the suspect driving his pickup truck erratically up and down the streets of Tamworth.

Other witnesses said they saw a man in a pickup tearing through the town.

“People said he was driving crazy up and down the road here,” said Denise Frizzell, who was skating nearby at the time.

The Special Investigations Unit, that investigates incidents of serious injury or death when police are involved, has been called in.

Tamworth is located approximately 175 km southwest of Ottawa.

- with files from Meghan Balogh
Suspect in Tamworth, Ont. shooting spree found dead | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun