Questionnaire: High Demand Oilfield Jobs

What is your profession?

• Trades. Please specify in this thread.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Driver. Please specify in this thread.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Labourer. Please specify in this thread.

• Office / Admin. Please specify in this thread.

• Other. Please specify your position in this thread.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

ChrisH

Nov 20, 2013
Are you considering looking for, or moving to Alberta, to take advantage of the current high demand for high paying jobs in the oilfield?

I am currently conducting a survey to better understand what is holding people back from finding that high paying job in Alberta's oilfields. I will use this information to design an educational program to teach people the knowledge and skills they need to make the move easy and pain free. By understanding exactly what is on peoples minds I can design the right information that will be useful to people who can use this knowledge.

Please note: I am not offering any services here on this thread. I am just looking to meet people who would like to get a job in the oilfields but are stuck, and don't know what to do next.

If this describes you; you have been wondering what to do and how to find the right job in the oilfields but you are feeling kind of stuck in making the right decisions or taking the right actions to land that perfect job then please read on and reply to this questionnaire.

Please describe the 3 biggest fears or concerns you have that are preventing you from making the move to an oilfield job in Alberta. Where are you stuck, what is holding you back?

Thank you to everybody who respond to this questionnaire.

I have worked in the oilfields over 19 years, in many different industries within the oilfield sector. Over these years I have consulted many people in choosing the right career that suit their personal needs and lifestyle. I have also studied marketing research and internet marketing and will use this combination of skills and knowledge to develop a program that people can use to help them make informed decisions and provide actual directions in not only choosing the right career but also how to find the companies that are hiring for these positions.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
1. Money. Those jobs weren't as high-paying as I was led to believe. Certainly the shtick I was given was a rather tepid raise (in order to pack my family and move from Vancouver to Calgary/Edmonchuk/Fort McMoney), and that more rewards would come later. I'm not packing up and moving today based on some vague promise of some money at some unspecified time down the road.

2. Location. While Calgary isn't too bad, it's still pretty cold. And Edmonton--well you freeze your nuts off, though the people are fantastic. For Mac--nuff siad. Of course, the location problem can be fixed by No. 1 above.

3. HR People. When dealing with HR departments or HR firms, they were just so busy, they were acting like resume outlet malls. Send us your resume, ok here's the list of firms interested, which ones do you want interviews with. I'm not looking for a job, I already have one--not a bad one. I'm looking for a better fit. Oh, and more No. 1, above. ha ha ha

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
1) Location
2) Location
3) Location.
Ok I know that is not what you are looking for but it is friggin cold there. The cost of living is high so the wages have to be higher. Also it is a long way from the ocean. Now if I was young and had no skills I would probably consider it. Most of us with trades can make a good living in much more civilized parts of BC. Also I don't work shifts.

ChrisH

Nov 20, 2013
1. Money. Those jobs weren't as high-paying as I was led to believe. Certainly the shtick I was given was a rather tepid raise (in order to pack my family and move from Vancouver to Calgary/Edmonchuk/Fort McMoney), and that more rewards would come later. I'm not packing up and moving today based on some vague promise of some money at some unspecified time down the road.

Thanks for the honest and frank reply. Having family definitely makes it more difficult to make a move like that.

1) Location
2) Location
3) Location.
Ok I know that is not what you are looking for but it is friggin cold there. The cost of living is high so the wages have to be higher. Also it is a long way from the ocean. Now if I was young and had no skills I would probably consider it. Most of us with trades can make a good living in much more civilized parts of BC. Also I don't work shifts.

Thanks for your response. It's greatly appreciated.

Does anybody else have anything you would be willing to share regarding the questionnaire above?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Does anybody else have anything you would be willing to share regarding the questionnaire above?

For a lot of guys, their lack of technical knowledge about how the oilpatch works, and what different jobs are, is a hinderance. When they hear their friends going on about how this company's hiring roughnecks, this company needs a tool push, this company needs swampers, frackers, snubbers, tool hands... it's all greek to many.

Some guys would be great fits as roughnecks, and love the challenge and the schedule and the chaos of a rig floor. Other guys would be a better fit as a field operator with a warm truck, a set area to work, and a stable schedule.

It seems to me that if you're planning on doing what you say, then a bare bones overview of oil drilling, production, and refinement, and the plethora of jobs that support the industry in those sectors, would be a good place to start.

ChrisH

Nov 20, 2013
Got any brochures?
No brochures - sorry. I am simply conducting research at this time. Lots of work to do before anything is ready for public. It will most likely be something along the lines of an information site as opposed to a consulting or agency business.

For a lot of guys, their lack of technical knowledge about how the oilpatch works, and what different jobs are, is a hinderance. When they hear their friends going on about how this company's hiring roughnecks, this company needs a tool push, this company needs swampers, frackers, snubbers, tool hands... it's all greek to many.

It seems to me that if you're planning on doing what you say, then a bare bones overview of oil drilling, production, and refinement, and the plethora of jobs that support the industry in those sectors, would be a good place to start.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Can I ask what your experience is in the oil patch?

1-weather

2-quality of life

3-wages relative to cost of living

Thank you for your response. Greatly appreciated.

1) Location
2) Location
3) Location.

thanks for your reply. Awesome.

2. Location. While Calgary isn't too bad, it's still pretty cold. And Edmonton--well you freeze your nuts off, though the people are fantastic. For Mac--nuff siad. Of course, the location problem can be fixed by No. 1 above.

3. HR People. When dealing with HR departments or HR firms, they were just so busy, they were acting like resume outlet malls. Send us your resume, ok here's the list of firms interested, which ones do you want interviews with. I'm not looking for a job, I already have one--not a bad one. I'm looking for a better fit. Oh, and more No. 1, above. ha ha ha

Thank you very much for your input. Greatly appreciated.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Thanks for the great suggestions. Can I ask what your experience is in the oil patch?

I grew up in Alberta to a father who first pipelined, then operated. I then married into the patch with a husband who started his oilfield career truck checking for Peacepipe, moved on to the drilling rigs, then took his petroleum engineering tech and moved into the completions side of things as a tool hand. He now manages for a large completions company. Dad works at a gas plant. My brother worked at a tank farm, and has recently moved into instrumentation and electric. I have friends who scaffold for refineries. Friends who truck. I see the patch from a ton of angles.

ChrisH

Nov 20, 2013
I grew up in Alberta to a father who first pipelined, then operated. I then married into the patch with a husband who started his oilfield career truck checking for Peacepipe, moved on to the drilling rigs, then took his petroleum engineering tech and moved into the completions side of things as a tool hand. He now manages for a large completions company. Dad works at a gas plant. My brother worked at a tank farm, and has recently moved into instrumentation and electric. I have friends who scaffold for refineries. Friends who truck. I see the patch from a ton of angles.

A very interesting point of view, you definitely have a long history with the 'Patch.' Thanks for sharing with me on this thread. GHreatly appreciated.

Elnaggar

Mar 22, 2014
Well, i am of about 7 years of experience in well testing, i am ex. Halliburton and Expro as well,
i am welling to make the move and seriously seeking to work in oil field in Canada,
can u give me any help or tips? what are the qualifications or certifications i should have?